Top 15 Albums of the 1970s

ChineseDemocracy2004

Top 15 Albums

Well if you don't want to go there here's the list.

1. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

2. Who's Next - The Who

3. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan

4. Exodus - Bob Marley

5. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

6. The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

7. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

8. Hotel California - The Eagles

9. Hunky Dory - David Bowie

10. Raw Power - The Stooges

11. The Wall - Pink Floyd

12. After The Gold Rush - Neil Young

13. L.A Woman - The Doors

14. Imagine - John Lennon

15. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones.

Well then,

What do you think about that list? do you agree? disagree? What would your Top 15 albums of the 70s be?

I listen to alot of old music, mainly music before i was born going back to the 60s with the Beatles and the Stones. Any fans of the album in the list? What tracks in particular are good? Which ones are worth a listen? What songs are worth skipping.

I agree with that list. Not in that exact order.

However, I'd put up a Alice Cooper album up there instead of Marvin.

What the hell, if anything Marvin deserves to be nearer the top of that list. That album revolutionised music more so than any other album on that list, plus its a damn fine listen.

It lacks both Aerosmith and AC/DC

Yes - thankfully.

Aerosmith Rocks is a great album, but it's not Top 15 material. AC/DC are a great, fun rock band - but when you compare any of their output to a monumental masterwork like Dark Side of the Moon, sorry, but - at least for me - it's not comparable. It's kind of like comparing a fun '70s movie to The Godfather. Assault on Precinct 13 may be a great kick-ass '70s flick with balls, but it's no Godfather. I think AC/DC is kind of the Assault on Precinct 13 of music. Great fun - no substance.

UG's list is pretty good, I guess, but it's also totally predictable. I prefer lists that take a bit of a chance. Led Zeppelin IV at number one? Meh... the fact that Imagine is even on the list shows they're trying to guess what most people would choose as a Top 15 rather than actually come up with their own opinions. That's what I think, anyway. I could be wrong - maybe the people assembling the list just happened to choose, in predictable order, what are commonly referred to as the best albums of that era - but I doubt it. Since you guys know I'm a bit more obsessive with movies than music, I'll make another movie analogy - any time I see a "Great Movies" list with Godfather as number one, it's kind of a *rolls eyes* moment for me. It's a great movie, but it's become such a cliche to call it the "greatest" over the last decade. It used to be Citizen Kane all the time - until critics started ranking The Godfather up there (and it became no. 1 on IMDb), and now suddenly Citizen Kane is rarely number one anymore. It's always The Godfather. It's because newer generations moved away from Citizen Kane. In the 1970s, Citizen Kane was the Godfather for people: a thirty-year-old epic that reinvented cinema. But people started to age, and new generations were born, and Citizen Kane didn't interest people as much. The Godfather suddenly became the thirty-year-old classic epic, and suddenly it's always beating out Citizen Kane for the top spot.

Whereas most movie lovers who are really into film could probably make an argument that better films were made in the '70s. Like The Godfather? Check out the flick Coppola made between GF1 and GF2: I think it's better than both. It's called The Conversation and it's one of the most brilliant films of the '70s and more subtle and mysterious and worthy of repeat viewings than The Godfather. It also never places in the Top Ten on any lists you'll ever see - because it isn't "cool" or predictable or well-known enough by average people.

Edited by Estranged Reality

My opinions, not that they count:

1. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin- Ok

2. Who's Next - The Who Ok, not so high up, though

3. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan No

4. Exodus - Bob Marley Ok, not my cup of tea, but I'll go with it

5. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye No. Not at all.

6. The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd- Definitely

7. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen I really really don't like the Boss, but everyone else seems to and I know he and his band are fine musicians. So I'll put maybe, though I don't know if it's top 15 worthy.

8. Hotel California - The Eagles Yeah.

9. Hunky Dory - David Bowie Never got really into Bowie, so I can't fairly say.

10. Raw Power - The Stooges See above, but substitute "Stooges" for "Bowie"

11. The Wall - Pink Floyd I love Floyd, I love the Wall. But I'll put Maybe. I thought it was their weakest masterpiece, if that makes sense.

12. After The Gold Rush - Neil Young No. I love Neil Young, but I don't think this is his best work or one of the best of the 70s.

13. L.A Woman - The Doors Yes, definitely.

14. Imagine - John Lennon No, No, No, and No. I wish people could get over this song.

15. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones. Not the Stone's best, nor the best of that decade of Stones. Great album, though. Not top 15 material.

What I'd like to see:

Van Halen's debut self-titled album

Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Sabbath of some kind

Aerosmith or AC/DC- I feel these two are in the same basic vein and that they were very influential in coming acts.

New York Dolls anybody??? HELLO?!?!?! both albums

L.A.M.F - The Heartbreakers

Nevermind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols (greatest album of all time ever)

Damned Damned Damned - The Damned

The Clash - The Clash

Funhouse/Raw Power - The Stooges

The Ramones - The Ramones (Ultimate fucking Guitar should know better than to leave John Cummings out)

The Dictators Go Girl Crazy - The Dictators

Confusion Is Sex - Sonic Youth

Edited by ffrankwhite

Where are these albums at? :question:

The Beatles - Let it Be

Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On

Sly & the Family Stone - Fresh

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.

The Rolling Stones - Black and Blue

The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

The Velvet Underground - Loaded

Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

Elvis Costello - This Year's Model

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Vol. 4

The Stooges - Fun House

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

Blondie - Parallel Lines

The Clash - The Clash

The Clash - London Calling

John Lennon - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

Ramones - Rocket to Russia

The 70s was one of the best decades for music, those are just the ones off the top f my head.

Top 15 AlbumsWell if you don't want to go there here's the list.1. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin2. Who's Next - The Who3. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan4. Exodus - Bob Marley5. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye6. The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd7. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen8. Hotel California - The Eagles9. Hunky Dory - David Bowie10. Raw Power - The Stooges11. The Wall - Pink Floyd12. After The Gold Rush - Neil Young13. L.A Woman - The Doors14. Imagine - John Lennon15. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones.Well then,What do you think about that list? do you agree? disagree? What would your Top 15 albums of the 70s be?I listen to alot of old music, mainly music before i was born going back to the 60s with the Beatles and the Stones. Any fans of the album in the list? What tracks in particular are good? Which ones are worth a listen? What songs are worth skipping.
Thats a good list. But mine would be1 Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice cooper2 Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd3 The Wall - Pink Floyd 4 Sticky Fingers - The Stones5 Van Halen - Van Halen6 David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust7 Led Zepplin IV - Led Zepplin8 Kiss - Destroyer9 Aerosmith - Live Bootleg10 Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies11 LA Woman - The Doors12 Imagine - John Lennon13 Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf14 Goats Head Soup - The Stones15 From The Inside - Alice cooper ( Think I like Cooper much) rock3
It lacks both Aerosmith and AC/DC
...and Alice Cooper
My thoughs exactly. very disapionted by that omision. :(