Film Thread

ssiscool

Pulp Fiction was on last night. Have not seen it in a while. Class as ever. Only spotted Steve Buscemi for the first time because I am an idiot.

Also noticed John Travolta use the line 'it might seem excessive, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen...' then realised that is pretty much the tagline of Slashs book.

I watched that this afternoon. Steve Buscemi's in Pulp Fiction? The film gets better the more you watch it.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pop Quiz Hot Shot: How much do you think Keanu Reeves is worth?

$350,000,000......That's right, Johnny mother fucking Utah is a genius! He supposedly earned about $250 Million from the three Matrix movies alone...About $15 Million base salary and 15% of the gross for both the sequels....Talk about a killer contract.

Amazing.

Funny you should say that as apparently they are planning another 2 Matrix films. >.<

Incredibly stupid ten best picture nominees thing is still incredibly stupid. :rolleyes:

If it was still 5 which of the ten nominees would you have cut it down to? Just curious.

Black Swan, Social Network, True Grit, The Fighter, Toy Story 3. But excluding The Kids Are Alright, they're all reasonable enough films (though I can't stand the Oscar bait nature of The King's Speech), it's just too much padding and it cheapens the category. It was only introduced to heighten the chances of blockbusters getting nominated for the ratings, it's just lame.

Incredibly stupid ten best picture nominees thing is still incredibly stupid. :rolleyes:

If it was still 5 which of the ten nominees would you have cut it down to? Just curious.

Black Swan, Social Network, True Grit, The Fighter, Toy Story 3. But excluding The Kids Are Alright, they're all reasonable enough films (though I can't stand the Oscar bait nature of The King's Speech), it's just too much padding and it cheapens the category. It was only introduced to heighten the chances of blockbusters getting nominated for the ratings, it's just lame.

Think I would pretty much agree with that. The only other thing I really disagreed with from the nominations list was no best director nod for Nolan. Even though I would probably give it to Aranofsky, I still think he deserved the recognition.

To see Jeff pick up back to back Oscars for what is essentially two very similar performances would be awesome. :lol:

Think I would pretty much agree with that. The only other thing I really disagreed with from the nominations list was no best director nod for Nolan. Even though I would probably give it to Aranofsky, I still think he deserved the recognition.

To see Jeff pick up back to back Oscars for what is essentially two very similar performances would be awesome. :lol:

I thought Hooper would be snubbed for Nolan. I wasn't big on Inception, but Hooper's nomination is laughable in comparison.

Watching TRUE ROMANCE.

Thoughts on it?

One of my favourite films of all time. The 'minor' characters are just brilliant. Stoner Brad Pitt... Gary Oldman as Drexl... Dennis Hopper as Clarences Dad... Val Kilmer's Elvis... Sicilian Christopher Walken.

Love the score too.

Yeah, I really like the vibe/atmosphere that Tony Scott created in this and The Last Boy Scout 2 years before. It's easy to tell he directed both the films.

I'm not the biggest fan of Inception, but it's a fucking joke that Nolan wasn't nominated for Best Director.

The Coens over Nolan? Seriously? A remake of a classic film and book versus a WILDLY successful film that Nolan not only directed but created. What a F'ing joke.

Edit: Oh and every category seems pretty boring. Not to mention the most buzz is around a movie about real life events that happened THIS DECADE and half the shit in the movie is just made up. Literally. I give up.

Also isn't the girl in True Grit basically the main character in the movie? Why was she nominated as best supporting actress and not leading actress?

Edited by Martin Riggs

Inception lost its luster pretty quickly. It was a great box office movie. Watching it a second time is pretty meh. :shrugs:

A lot of people probably disagree with you, but either way at least is was a huge film that was original and not some reboot/remake. Pretty rare these days.

Just finished watching the first season of Breaking Bad. Does anyone watch this? I'm impressed. I absolutely loved it. :wub:

It's great of what I saw, I have some catching up to do though... how many seasons are there exactly?

Only 3 and all of them have few episodes. :( The first season had only 7 of them. Too bad.

Just finished watching the first season of Breaking Bad. Does anyone watch this? I'm impressed. I absolutely loved it. :wub:

Totally agree with you, it's amazing. Took me a while to get used to Hal from Malcolm in the Middle in such a different role but I absolutely loved every second of all three seasons.

Kinda off topic: But are the big scripted U.S. tv shows also the big shows in the U.K.? (That's where you live, right?) Obviously not the only big shows I'm sure, but was just wondering.