Film Thread

ssiscool

The Expendables is an overblown piece of crap.

When it comes to action movies there's no such thing as overblown. If anything, it had too little action. They should have skipped all the drama bits, made longer action scenes (or same length, but more of them), and, above all, where were the one-liners???

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to some upcoming movies: Black Swan, Tron, and True Grit. They all seem as if they're going to be great, or at least a lot of fun.

all on my list to see.

i just saw 127 hours yesterday and HOLY SHIT! it's a very interesting movie and james franco is amazing but i never want to have to see ANYONE cut off their own arm again. i mean jesus!

It had a thin plot and no character depth. I think it deserved the Oscar, far more than Avatar.

Speaking of Avatar, has anyone seen it since theatres? I don't think I ever will.

Avatar sucked but it should have beat out Hurt Locker on the strength of its 3D effects.

Nah, there is a category for special effects.

Hurt Locker was so mediocre though. It only won because the Academy wanted to stick it to Cameron. The Messenger was better than both the Hurt Locker and Avatar and it didn't win shit. Makes no sense to me.

Why would they wanna stick it to Cameron?

Cause he's a notorious prat and is already in possession of a couple of the most hilariously unwarranted Oscars ever handed out?

The Expendables was a massive disappointment. Without the cast, it's a straight-to-DVD action shelf filler. And of the cast, only Eric Roberts manages to be genuinely engaging (granted by doing the same shtick he's been at for the last 20 years, but still).

Edited by Angelica

I want to be able to watch Black Swan now. It looks exactly like my kind of movie. Why must Americans get nine out of ten movies obscenely earlier than us Europeans? :(

To make this post into more than only whining, I watched The Continuing and Lamentable Saga of the Suicide Brothers on the Internet, and oh my gosh, do I adore the design of that whole movie. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's also a little bit daft, but it's got an adorably dark sense of humour, and a delightful twist on the whole fairy tale genre to make up for it. Immediately after having watched it, I'm in the mood for a good dose of Terry Gilliam.

Has anyone watched The Town? The dvd rip is out, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Oh and what's up with all the tv series this week? Not one new episode (House, Desperate Housewives, Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory)? What the..? :fuckyou:

'The Town' is quite cliché, but very well made, so that didn't bother me at all. All actors are also quite good, especially Jeremy Renner and Pete Postlethwaite (very few scenes, but quite menacing). Ben Affleck, who is a much better director than actor imo, is in literally every scene though, so if you can't handle that, don't watch it.

I would recommend it to anyone who likes the genre (crime/drama/heist) though.

I want to see 'Black Swan' too.

I also watched '13', the remake of '13 tzameti'. I had my doubts, but it is quite good imo. I liked the original better because of the black/white though. It fitted the film.

Edited by st0n3r

I want to be able to watch Black Swan now. It looks exactly like my kind of movie. Why must Americans get nine out of ten movies obscenely earlier than us Europeans? :(

To make this post into more than only whining, I watched The Continuing and Lamentable Saga of the Suicide Brothers on the Internet, and oh my gosh, do I adore the design of that whole movie. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's also a little bit daft, but it's got an adorably dark sense of humour, and a delightful twist on the whole fairy tale genre to make up for it. Immediately after having watched it, I'm in the mood for a good dose of Terry Gilliam.

If my plans don't change I'm taking a lady friend to see Black Swan I'll let you know how it is spoiler free.

I was on xanax and still walked out of The Town. Can't necessarily say why I didn't like it but if I stopped doing anything while on xanax, that's fare enough indication for me.

Ben Affleck, who is a much better director than actor imo, is in literally every scene though, so if you can't handle that, don't watch it.

:P

Edited by st0n3r

If my plans don't change I'm taking a lady friend to see Black Swan. I'll let you know how it is spoiler free.

Thank you, darling! I always appreciate your opinion on movies. ^_^

I was on xanax and still walked out of The Town. Can't necessarily say why I didn't like it but if I stopped doing anything while on xanax, that's fare enough indication for me.

Ben Affleck, who is a much better director than actor imo, is in literally every scene though, so if you can't handle that, don't watch it.

Actually I think it might have been something to do with Renner's facial hair.

Actually I think it might have been something to do with Renner's facial hair.

The Town was a piece of shit. I'm surprised it has such a high rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Edited by ITW 2012