Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pianist

Very dark movie but might inspire you..........

Book of Eli....looks like a road Warrior movie but the theme is pretty cool

If your into SciFi I love Chronicles of Riddick

If you want deep then try

Clockwork Orange

Brazil

Eraserhead

Blue Velvet

Good call on Eraserhead, classic movie.

you really can't go wrong with anything by David Lynch (personal exception being "wild at heart"), Darren Aronofsky, Kubrick, or Charlie Kaufman.

others off the top of my head:

Dark City

Jacob's Ladder

Barton Fink

Oldboy

Following

Very good call on "Synecdoche, New York", by the way.

Movie spoiler so don't read if you don't want to know what this movie is about..........

- Another mans (Denzell Washington) quest to preserve the bible so that its teachings can be used to resurrect and build a new civilized society

Except that's not what happens at all. In the end Eli brings it to a place of history and knowledge where it is placed amongst other influential and important pieces of literature. The movie makes it very clear that the book is simply filed away. He brought it to a place not to be worshipped, or followed, or revered as the gospel...but simply to be remembered.

That suggests to me that the ultimate lesson of the film is not that god is great, or that the bible will resurrect humanity and rebuild civilization. Rather to me it's an argument that ALL knowledge is important and should be preserved, even if that knowledge is used by some for malicious ends.

Just watched Terminator 2 Again.. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen.. 10/10.

Last night I was bored of listening to music, so I just played Terminator 2 in the back ground.

"She's not my mother. Todd"

I should try that some time. :lol:

The plot is the earth has been ravaged by some catastrophe and the survivors are living a subsistance life just trying to survive. Some of the survivors blame the destruction of society on religion so they seek out and try to burn all the bibles in the world.

Sounds like a good idea! :ph34r:

:lol:

Absolutely.

...and heeeere comes the shitstorm! :D

I'm dling it, even though I don't like Christian Bale -_-

How could you not like Christian Bale? :o He is sooo talented. I love him! :wub:

Although I also like Christian Bale, I think I understand where BS is coming from. I had a Christian Bale overkill last year, having seen him in The Dark Knight (more than once), Terminator Salvation and Public Enemies on the big screen and in The Prestige, Batman Begins and 3:10 to Yuma... Don't get me wrong, I love every one of these movies but suddenly I was like "Ugh, I don't want to see Bruce Connor looking serious & hunting John Dillinger ever again!"

Edited by Spoon87

Finally just saw the Social Network. Absolutely worth the hype. The script was tight and well written. Not a wasted word of dialogue in the movie.

My only beef is that Zuckerberg has been dating since Facebook started so that contradicts the portrayal in the film that he started Facebook because of a girl.

The Machinist was a very good movie. Everything about the movie helped you see the world through the eye of an anxious crumbling man. Movie was intriguing enough to move a long at a good pace and wasn't so cryptic that you were trying to analyze every detail.

Edited by AbominableHoman

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/16/ricky-gervais-rudest-golden-globes-jokes/ - LOL!

Nothing for Sex and the City 2. I was sure the award for best special effects would go to the team that airbrushed that poster.

:rofl-lol:

“Also not nominated, I Love You Phillip Morris, with Ewan McGregor and Jim Carrey, two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay — the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists then.” Gervais added: “My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke.”

:rofl-lol:

I thought he was awful. Very vulgar. He definitely crossed the line. I heard he pissed off lots of celebrities plus the Golden Globes staff. I can see why. He was making everyone uncomfortable.

My main problem was wtf was with that music? They were letting the actors do their speech in like 20 seconds. Really? Where's the hurry? I thought that was awful. It's so rare you see so many great actors in the same room, I would have thought they would try to make the most of it not throw them off stage. :blink:

I thought he was awful. Very vulgar. He definitely crossed the line. I heard he pissed off lots of celebrities plus the Golden Globes staff. I can see why. He was making everyone uncomfortable.

My main problem was wtf was with that music? They were letting the actors do their speech in like 20 seconds. Really? Where's the hurry? I thought that was awful. It's so rare you see so many great actors in the same room, I would have thought they would try to make the most of it not throw them off stage. :blink:

it was aweful wasn't it? but they stopped with the music after steve buschemi mentioned it didn't they?