Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Class was pretty good. I've decided I'm only going to watch European films for some time, and would appreciate any recommendations.

Persona, L'Avventura, The Conformist, Exterminating Angel, A Band Apart, Breathless, The 400 Blows, Two or Three Things I Know About Her, The Double Life of Veronique, Rules of the Game, The Passenger, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Shoot the Piano Player, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, That Obscure Object of Desire, Celine & Julie Go Boating, The Leopard, Betty Blue, 8 1/2, The Lives of Others, Let the Right One In, La Belle et Le Bete, Bicycle Thieves, Boudu Saved From Drowning, City of Lost Children, La Strada...er, I'll be quiet now! :lol:

I'll add 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days, This is England, the Three Colours trilogy and Lilya 4-Ever.

The Class was pretty good. I've decided I'm only going to watch European films for some time, and would appreciate any recommendations.

Persona, L'Avventura, The Conformist, Exterminating Angel, A Band Apart, Breathless, The 400 Blows, Two or Three Things I Know About Her, The Double Life of Veronique, Rules of the Game, The Passenger, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Shoot the Piano Player, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, That Obscure Object of Desire, Celine & Julie Go Boating, The Leopard, Betty Blue, 8 1/2, The Lives of Others, Let the Right One In, La Belle et Le Bete, Bicycle Thieves, Boudu Saved From Drowning, City of Lost Children, La Strada...er, I'll be quiet now! :lol:

I'll add 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days, This is England, the Three Colours trilogy and Lilya 4-Ever.

I love you two. <3

I went and watched Black Swan in the theatre last night. ^_^ It's essentially the most exquisitely nightmarish film, and it incorporates all of these intense, intricate fantasy elements that Darren Aronofsky does especially well and that I found lacking in his last film. If I have anything at all to lament about it, it's only that it left me wanting more, as it took nearly everything I want this kind of a film to explore, from desperately damaged individuals to dreams to doubles to manifestations of eerie folklore to magical realism, and dealt with it in what I think lasted a little more than an hour and a half, when I wanted it to keep dealing with it for much longer. I thought that the different and entirely demented aspects of the relationship between Portman and Hershey were particularly fascinating, and I wouldn't have minded a little bit of a longer and heavier focus on those.

Edited by nameless_girl

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I fucking love The Patriot.

Fucking pile of shite! Bloody colonials!!!! :anger: :anger: :anger:

Bet you loved Braveheart eh? :heart:

Anyone like to recommend me some good films. I like historic, war, drama and horror/thriller (not gore!)

I went and watched Black Swan in the theatre last night. ^_^ It's essentially the most exquisitely nightmarish film, and it incorporates all of these intense, intricate fantasy elements that Darren Aronofsky does especially well and that I found lacking in his last film. If I have anything at all to lament about it, it's only that it left me wanting more, as it took nearly everything I want this kind of a film to explore, from desperately damaged individuals to dreams to doubles to manifestations of eerie folklore to magical realism, and dealt with it in what I think lasted a little more than an hour and a half, when I wanted it to keep dealing with it for much longer. I thought that the different and entirely demented aspects of the relationship between Portman and Hershey were particularly fascinating, and I wouldn't have minded a little bit of a longer and heavier focus on those.

Does it make me a bad person that I downloaded it, fast forwarded to the les off scene, knocked one out and have yet to see the rest in its entirety? :shrugs:

If anything, it makes you a little bit of a numpty. I don't think it would have been too difficult to find films that also feature this exact kind of activity that you would have been able to watch parts of in advance without it having the potential to diminish the effects of the film. :P Although in this particular instance, I actually doubt you diminished any of the effects of the film. I wanted to look out for different details and watched a download of it after I had already watched it in the theatre, and it held up more than well. I actually thought that it was more interesting to watch after I had already found out exactly what was unfolding and when. I don't know if it was the film or me, but I found that the twists and turns weren't nearly as interesting as how exactly the twists and turns were made. :unsure:

Black Swan

Does it make me a bad person that I downloaded it, fast forwarded to the les off scene, knocked one out and have yet to see the rest in its entirety? :shrugs:

I don't think it would have been too difficult to find films that also feature this exact kind of activity that you would have been able to watch parts of in advance without it having the potential to diminish the effects of the film.

But how many of them feature Mila Kunis?? eh?

The Patriot- Thought it was ok, I think I would've liked it better if Mel Gibson wasn't in it.

I fucking love The Patriot and Mel Gibson is a GOD.

How can you of all people say such a thing? :thumbsdown:

This.

I agree. Mel will forever be good in my book for having played me in Lethal Weapon.

If anything, it makes you a little bit of a numpty. I don't think it would have been too difficult to find films that also feature this exact kind of activity that you would have been able to watch parts of in advance without it having the potential to diminish the effects of the film. :P Although in this particular instance, I actually doubt you diminished any of the effects of the film. I wanted to look out for different details and watched a download of it after I had already watched it in the theatre, and it held up more than well. I actually thought that it was more interesting to watch after I had already found out exactly what was unfolding and when. I don't know if it was the film or me, but I found that the twists and turns weren't nearly as interesting as how exactly the twists and turns were made.

That's me told then! :( Sorry I've been drinking haha! Seriously though I actually really want to watch it and from the reviews it looks fantastic. Worth a watch then? :D

It's worth a watch. I don't watch too many new films, which doesn't make this as apparently flattering as intended, but I thought it was worth a watch more than any other film I've watched in the theatre this last year.

Black Swan

I don't think it would have been too difficult to find films that also feature this exact kind of activity that you would have been able to watch parts of in advance without it having the potential to diminish the effects of the film. :P

I'm actually fairly certain there's an absolutely awful one in which she's on the receiving end of a fingering and other girl on girl action in the middle of a library or university hallway. I forget which because it was a terrible film, but it was definitely while plopped down on the floor in an academic environment. I'd advise watching that for your more fundamental needs, and Black Swan for your more discerning ones. :P

Black Swan

I don't think it would have been too difficult to find films that also feature this exact kind of activity that you would have been able to watch parts of in advance without it having the potential to diminish the effects of the film. :P

I'm actually fairly certain there's an absolutely awful one in which she's on the receiving end of a fingering and other girl on girl action in the middle of a library or university hallway. I forget which because it was a terrible film, but it was definitely while plopped down on the floor in an academic environment. I'd advise watching that for your more fundamental needs, and Black Swan for your more discerning ones. :P

Because I can't help but love and respect an actress who does these kind of sacrifices for her work, and because I know how hard it must have been for her I will not let that effort go to waste, but instead I shall watch those scenes. Again and again.

Pop Quiz Hot Shot: How much do you think Keanu Reeves is worth?

$350,000,000......That's right, Johnny mother fucking Utah is a genius! He supposedly earned about $250 Million from the three Matrix movies alone...About $15 Million base salary and 15% of the gross for both the sequels....Talk about a killer contract.

Amazing.

Pulp Fiction was on last night. Have not seen it in a while. Class as ever. Only spotted Steve Buscemi for the first time because I am an idiot.

Also noticed John Travolta use the line 'it might seem excessive, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen...' then realised that is pretty much the tagline of Slashs book.

Because I can't help but love and respect an actress who does these kind of sacrifices for her work, and because I know how hard it must have been for her I will not let that effort go to waste, but instead I shall watch those scenes. Again and again.

the other chick in that scene with Mila was Zoe Saldana. Der film is called After Sex and it is indeed quite terrible.