Film Thread

ssiscool

Oh, it's just the GREATEST MONOLOGUE EVER!!! It's Mickey Rourke's monologue.

Oh yeah, that was pretty deep. I thought his character was the only one with depth. Like I said I'll re-watch it. It's a bit overloaded with stuff but it's never boring. I can see the Mickey character coming into it more in Ex2. He's kind of sitting it out but I can see him coming off the bench.

Hopefully, him and Statham seemed like the only ones who knew how to act in the movie.

I think the key for the 2nd one is to get somebody besides Stallone to direct it. He should just focus on the acting side.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, that was pretty deep. I thought his character was the only one with depth. Like I said I'll re-watch it. It's a bit overloaded with stuff but it's never boring. I can see the Mickey character coming into it more in Ex2. He's kind of sitting it out but I can see him coming off the bench.

Hopefully, him and Statham seemed like the only ones who knew how to act in the movie.

I think the key for the 2nd one is to get somebody besides Stallone to direct it. He should just focus on the acting side.

All the scenes seemed to be directed pretty well, but the script was a bit all over the place, but they were maybe establishing all the characters. So maybe in 2 there will be some pay off.

Why the fuck is everyone in all up in The King's Speech's shit? It's utterly pedestrian masterpiece theatre neo-Merchant Ivory historically retarded claptrap. :question:

Is it as mediocre as True Grit? The previews for The King's Speech looked wretched.

Edited by ITW 2012

Why the fuck is everyone in all up in The King's Speech's shit? It's utterly pedestrian masterpiece theatre neo-Merchant Ivory historically retarded claptrap. :question:

Is it as mediocre as True Grit? The previews for The King's Speech looked wretched.

I don't think True Grit's mediocre, it's just unexpectedly traditional and non-disingenuous for the Coen Bros. It's still incredibly well made, acted, highly cinematic and superbly written, etc. The King's Speech is the kind of solid but innately tepid, safe, predictable and middle-of-the-road, historically dubious Brit costume piece that Americans/youngish non-Europeans usually can't be cajoled into sitting through under any circumstances, but they're all the fuck over it and I'm baffled.

Edited by Angelica

I hope you're right. Mickey is the fucking man!

Thanks for posting the monologue clip, ohmygod!

I don't think True Grit's mediocre, it's just unexpectedly traditional and non-disingenuous for the Coen Bros. It's still incredibly well made, acted, highly cinematic and superbly written, etc. The King's Speech is the kind of solid but innately tepid, safe, predictable and middle-of-the-road, historically dubious Brit costume piece that Americans/youngish non-Europeans usually can't be cajoled into sitting through under any circumstances, but they're all the fuck over it and I'm baffled.

People on RT are saying "well crafted", "well acted". But what I heard from people it is like a feel good movie. My nan said it was "very moving".

So no matter how conservative it is, if it hits the right note they leave happy? Which I think is what some people want more than anything. They don't really care about film culture. It's like a good quality water colour of the village church and a picture of the Queen. Complete bollocks but people like that kind of shit.

But I'll never see it cos it's a period drama and they suck and I'll never see one unless Tarantino makes one. Blackadder is alright though.

People on RT are saying "well crafted", "well acted". But what I heard from people it is like a feel good movie. My nan said it was "very moving".

So no matter how conservative it is, if it hits the right note they leave happy? Which I think is what some people want more than anything. They don't really care about film culture. It's like a good quality water colour of the village church and a picture of the Queen. Complete bollocks but people like that kind of shit.

Yeah, I think that's about right. Adversity is triumphed over, everyone leaves happy. Except me, cause I was too beaten down by the mundanity of the film making to invest anything in Bertie's plight. It's just so lifeless and prosaic. :( And it could easily end up sweeping the Oscars. "That Black Swan's too bleak!" "There's no one to root for in The Social Network!"...oh god... :no:

But I'll never see it cos it's a period drama and they suck and I'll never see one unless Tarantino makes one. Blackadder is alright though.

I don't have anything against them per se, The Age of Innocence is in my all time top ten. Altman's Gosford Park was set in the same era (although it was blessedly free of royals) and it was gangbusters. It depends on how the material is approached, like everything else

Edited by Angelica

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

The best films are not necessarily the ones with the best script, acting or directing though.

What didn't you like about the Kings Speech Angelica? I thought it was great to see Colin Firth pull of his role so well when for the most part he is categorised or known for the romantic fool. Maybe it was just me but I actually had to hold back tears once or twice and had a lump in my throat on various occasions :lol:

The best films are not necessarily the ones with the best script, acting or directing though.

Absolutely! This is why Commando is the greatest film in the history of cinema.

Are you implying Commando doesn't have a masterfully crafted script with some Oscar worthy acting?

Let off some steam Bennet.

Are you implying Commando doesn't have a masterfully crafted script with some Oscar worthy acting?

Let off some steam Bennet.

Vernon Wells deserves an Oscar for that tash alone!

I laughed at this post. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

Yeah, I think that's about right. Adversity is triumphed over, everyone leaves happy. Except me, cause I was too beaten down by the mundanity of the film making to invest anything in Bertie's plight. It's just so lifeless and prosaic. :( And it could easily end up sweeping the Oscars. "That Black Swan's too bleak!" "There's no one to root for in The Social Network!"...oh god... :no:

I don't have anything against them per se, The Age of Innocence is in my all time top ten. Altman's Gosford Park was set in the same era (although it was blessedly free of royals) and it was gangbusters. It depends on how the material is approached, like everything else

People could say the same about True Grit, but there's prob a sort of theatre vibe to King's Speech which makes it seem like a bad BBC tv series and that's where most people will see. Gosford Park I saw cos it was Altman - study of manners. It's difficult to pick decide if they are...wait Gosford and Age are both American directors with a budget, all about the movies. I reckon most of them coming out of UK film industry if you can call it that are one step above theatre and what they don't like is the hollywood flashiness. Season 4 of Black Adder over Season 4 of Desperate Housewives. There was one I saw that was about an American woman coming to England and not being accepted, a weird title, can't remember...

I was sort of rooting for my autistic brother in Social. I thought Black Swan was quite amusing. I think that movie might be perfect.

Have you seen American Ninja 1-4. Don't speak too soon if you haven't.

I guess I just hate feel good movies. Although I did like 127 Hours. I was rooting for Franco to chop his arm off. With True Grit though, I just felt like the Coens were wasting their time and talent on a remake of a family Western that was never all that good in the first place. Matt Damon is a sucka, simple and plain, motherfuck him and John Wayne.

Edited by ITW 2012

I guess I just hate feel good movies. Although I did like 127 Hours. I was rooting for Franco to chop his arm off. With True Grit though, I just felt like the Coens were wasting their time and talent on a remake of a family Western that was never all that good in the first place. Matt Damon is a sucka, simple and plain, motherfuck him and John Wayne.

:rofl-lol: Their version was a considerable improvement on the orginal, but...yeah. Not what I expected a Coen Brothers western to be. Maybe that was the point, hells knows, it's doing well for them. I will say I actually liked Damon in it, and he usually puts me to sleep. The little girl's marvellous and Bridges is nifty.

Wasted, I think you're dead on re Brit directors and period films, they're not shooting for cinema in the first place. Fuck knows The King's Speech could have been made for some Sunday night BBC special presentation. Same with The Queen, though that wasn't period. Meanwhile, Polanski's The Ghost Writer which concerns British politicians, is a freaking roller coaster of palpable tension and wry humour. :shrugs:

Edited by Angelica

I read that Ghost Writer book, I think it was called The Ghost. It's quite a good political thriller to start with. I've heard good things about In the Thick of It tv series and a movie called In the Loop - which isn't half bad.

Thick of It

When Armando Iannucci is attached you know it is fantastic.

My favourite story about the making of In The Loop....

"Iannucci used his BBC press pass to enter the US State Department headquarters whilst researching the film, saying how he just turned up and claimed to be "here for the 12.30". Iannucci spent an hour inside taking photographs which were used for the film's set designs."