Axl rejects guitarist for using the Whammy Bar too much

You know why Axl doesn't like the whammy.

A. There's rarely any to none on CD and it doesn't reflect GNR's musical direction.

B. The whammy is for overrated pussies like Eddie Van Halen and that emo girl from Avenged Sevenfold.

Eddie Van Halen was an innovator and a pioneer in rock music. Overrated? Please.

Great logic that the whammy bad doesn't reflect GnR's musical direction. Sorry I had to laugh about that. All a whammy bar does is raise or lower the pitch of the note, similar to vibrato, bending a note or release bending a note. It is just another tool in a guitarist's arsenal, not a pivotal part of any sort of musical direction.

Edited by Young_Gun

I read somewhere that Axl looked at Derrick Trucks too. But i don't know if he auditioned. That would of been... rock4

I still hope ,in my heart of hearts that maybe someday he'll join GN'R.

http://texasrat.com/gunsnroses/h/guns_n_roses_news_016.html

Derek is a fantastic player, but he is mostly a slide guitar player and therefore would be kind of weird to have him in GNR. Plus he doesn't really play that kind of syle anyway, he is more of a deep blues guy than a hard rocker

I saw him with Clapton a few years back and he was incredible, channeling the greatness of Duane Allman and the like

• 2 years later...

Man, I'm not surprised Jason Becker thought Axl made the wrong choice. Lol'd at that Roth vid. The song is cheesy but fuck -- that vid is unimaginably ridiculous. And that is exactly the guitar sound and style I hate. If the dude Axl rejected sounded anything like that, or anything like he looks like he'd sound in that fucking dreadful photo in the OP, well, thank God he never made it.