What are you listening to right now?

Rock_And_Roll_Over

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alice In Chains - Rotten Apple

I've been on a Layne kick recently actually. Have you heard his side project Mad Season with the guitarist from Pearl Jam? If not, I seriously recommend their album Above. It's a lot more laid back and has longer songs than most grunge bands though. Sort of like Jar of Flies, I guess but with some plenty of electric guitars. If you want to check out a few songs on youtube from them search "mad season I'm Above" or "mad season Long Gone Day" (this one features Mark Lanegan on vocals with Layne.)

Above is in my top five grunge era releases ever. It's beautiful but it takes a little while to get into for some due to repetition and song length. Put on the album at night as you're lighting a joint and by the end of the first song Wake Up you realize just how great Staley was and the musicians involved in the whole scene. Long Gone Day in particular is very different from everything else going on in the scene with trumpets and a jazz influence. I can't say enough about that song. There is some Alice in Chains style creepy heavy songs on it too like Lifeless Dead and I Don't Know Anything.

I own the album :) It's a masterpiece, I listen to if often when I need some quiet and relaxing music. Both lyrics and melodies are beauiful.

Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole