What is the greatest album of alltime?

SunnyDRE

Hmmm... Best album ever,without a doubt Appetite for destruction. I know it's the best.Everything about it feels right. I've listened to all the albums mentioned in this thread n' laughed at choices like U2 or alice in chains LOL queen,pink floyd,muse,acdc aerosmith,jeff buckley,ratm,NIN are other artists i'd put on my best thing ive heard list. MY number 2 is Chinese Democracy,wicked record.

That's cool but I can't help but laugh at you.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... Best album ever,without a doubt Appetite for destruction. I know it's the best.Everything about it feels right. I've listened to all the albums mentioned in this thread n' laughed at choices like U2 or alice in chains LOL queen,pink floyd,muse,acdc aerosmith,jeff buckley,ratm,NIN are other artists i'd put on my best thing ive heard list. MY number 2 is Chinese Democracy,wicked record.

Meh, I can see how someone on this board would put AFD 1, but CD as 2? cmonson

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

It's really hard to decide. I'm considering these though:

The Velvet Underground & Nico

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Revolver

Powerage

Let There Be Rock

Exile On Main Street

Let It Bleed

Rövarkungens Ö

Livet Är En Fest

Some of these may not be the best, but they're my favourites. For obvious reason, I didn't include GN'R-albums.

You guys are sad, U2 is boring, and commercial craap. Yeah I'll choose Rage, ACDC or Muse any day over this. And yes, Chinese Democracy has been on my mind for the last year n a half which isn't the case for the albums you have listed. Queen is huge. U2? Craap,lame guitar,lame lyrics,borin attitude on stage which will only please the 30-50 years old women n' men with no balls. edit 4 satanisk stack Y have I seen that exact same list so many times b4?It seems to me that some of you feel the need to list overestimated BS like the VU just2seem bright.Pathetic,you should express your real tastes,not the formated 'sacred' one that ain't truer than what you feel.

Edited by D..

Guest deleted_19765

Southern Harmony and the Musical Companion is MY favorite cd ever. But to the general public i'd say Sticky Fingers. EVERY THI:NG about that album is perfect.

What does that even mean? Its your favorite but you are ashamed of it? It couldn't be that its unknown because that is a very popular album.

It seems to me that some of you feel the need to list overestimated BS like the VU just2seem bright.Pathetic,you should express your real tastes,not the formated 'sacred' one that ain't truer than what you feel.

Overestimated? If that album wasn't made, most of the post-'60s artists you listen to wouldn't be around.

It seems to me that some of you feel the need to list overestimated BS like the VU just2seem bright.Pathetic,you should express your real tastes,not the formated 'sacred' one that ain't truer than what you feel.

Overestimated? If that album wasn't made, most of the post-'60s artists you listen to wouldn't be around.

I'm sorry man but this is BULLSHIT. Are we talking about that Velvet Underground album with the banana artwork on it? Truth is, only elitists judge this album as great and it's supposed to have influenced major bands. Fact is, this is not true. The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, those are some of the 60's artists that set things in motion for rock as for some of the bands I listen to. Aerosmith, AC/DC n ' Black Sabbath (though I only enjoy the albums with Ozzy) for the 70's. Velvet Underground is overestimated crap and I'm really sick of seeing it listed basically everywhere as a reference, well truth is, it makes me laugh; I'm seeing the same lists of best albums of all time and this shit keeps popping up (U2 is a different story, I guess they really move a lot of people but I just can't get into it), this is really hilarious, like there is some album YOU HAVE TO LIKE or you are a loser. Give me interviews where Axl said Velvet Underground influenced him, I really don't think so, I think his references are Queen, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Elton John and Aerosmith. As for Muse it's Rage against the machine. Was Zach de la Rocca influenced by VU? Nope.

I understand if some people really dig it, but I doubt so many people really love it, I think most people just read stuff here and there and convince themselves it's great because it's old and that many people list it as a reference, kind of like Hitchcock movies and stuff, it's the same problem.

Express your personal tastes like Sunny Dre did, see I don't enjoy discussing with Sunny Dre but at least he lists the albums he really enjoys. The sad thing is that he wastes so much time on a gnr fan board and that gnr is far from being his favourite band and that he despises the current line up, but hey that's another problem.

I'm sorry man but this is BULLSHIT. Are we talking about that Velvet Underground album with the banana artwork on it? Truth is, only elitists judge this album as great and it's supposed to have influenced major bands. Fact is, this is not true. The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, those are some of the 60's artists that set things in motion for rock as for some of the bands I listen to. Aerosmith, AC/DC n ' Black Sabbath (though I only enjoy the albums with Ozzy) for the 70's. Velvet Underground is overestimated crap and I'm really sick of seeing it listed basically everywhere as a reference, well truth is, it makes me laugh; I'm seeing the same lists of best albums of all time and this shit keeps popping up (U2 is a different story, I guess they really move a lot of people but I just can't get into it), this is really hilarious, like there is some album YOU HAVE TO LIKE or you are a loser. Give me interviews where Axl said Velvet Underground influenced him, I really don't think so, I think his references are Queen, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Elton John and Aerosmith. As for Muse it's Rage against the machine. Was Zach de la Rocca influenced by VU? Nope.

I understand if some people really dig it, but I doubt so many people really love it, I think most people just read stuff here and there and convince themselves it's great because it's old and that many people list it as a reference, kind of like Hitchcock movies and stuff, it's the same problem.

Express your personal tastes like Sunny Dre did, see I don't enjoy discussing with Sunny Dre but at least he lists the albums he really enjoys. The sad thing is that he wastes so much time on a gnr fan board and that gnr is far from being his favourite band and that he despises the current line up, but hey that's another problem.

I'm sorry. I'm clearly kidding myself when I think "Sunday Morning" and "Heroin" are great songs. :rolleyes:

I think The Holy Bible and Nevermind The Bollocks are pretty much perfect for what they are. Obviously they are not all-encompassing musically as that would lead to a very peculiar album indeed, so I can not proclaim either unashamedly the greatest album of all time; but I just get them somehow, they click with me, and whatever it is about them that I get, no other albums have come close as an entire record to maintaining that standard and feel.

Appetite comes close though to be honest. I don't think there will ever be an album that is like Appetite, but a little better with the same qualities. Some records just have a complete feel to them. Dark Side Of The Moon is another. Pfft this is mental. The second I list one another million come to mind.

I like music.

You guys are sad, U2 is boring, and commercial craap. Yeah I'll choose Rage, ACDC or Muse any day over this. And yes, Chinese Democracy has been on my mind for the last year n a half which isn't the case for the albums you have listed. Queen is huge. U2? Craap,lame guitar,lame lyrics,borin attitude on stage which will only please the 30-50 years old women n' men with no balls. edit 4 satanisk stack Y have I seen that exact same list so many times b4?It seems to me that some of you feel the need to list overestimated BS like the VU just2seem bright.Pathetic,you should express your real tastes,not the formated 'sacred' one that ain't truer than what you feel.

You're fucking retarded. Rage is a hypocrytical joke. I like their music, but they are no where near the best. They're just OK to bump in the car now and then when you're mad at your boss.

AC/DC is for 13 year olds. They're a fun band, don't get me wrong, but no one will argue they are the best with any kind of logic. Chinese D failed, and was nothing new.

U2 has been around making popular, emotional, and meaningful music for years. Like it or not, they are the biggest band in the world right now. Maybe not the best, but the biggest, easily. And as far as my taste goes, I'll take U2's worst album over Chinese D any day.

A million of these to you: :thumbsup:

I'm sorry. I'm clearly kidding myself when I think "Sunday Morning" and "Heroin" are great songs. :rolleyes:

Bowie should get credit as to why VU are a big influence. He drew attention to Lou with "Transformer", and did some key contributions to some of the songs, not to mention "White Light White Heat" at his shows .That's what drew kids to buy VU albums.

Warhol made them seem like a novelty act, after that they dropped off the radar and had a minor album hit with "Loaded". John Cale prob. had more impact with covering "Hallelujah" than he did as a member of VU. Jeff Buckley heard his version, and the rest is history. But just as an over the top performer , producer (5 albums he produced are all time classics), and musician, Cale is unbelievably talented. He put a violin in rock and cranked it to 11, but even though I think Lou did some interesting things as a songwriter, but without Dylan going electric, no VU. Dylan may have "played it f-ing loud", Reed and Cale took it to driving people out of the room, but The Doors did just as much, and after all, Nico DID cover "The End". The Stones and Beatles were already using exotic instruments... but I do think a song like "All Tomorrows Parties" is ahead of its time and "Venus in Furs" (which I got to see Siouxie and Cale do together) still jumps out at you.

Reed takes himself a little too seriously. I think he's written a lot of great songs, LOVE "New York", "Berlin", and "The Bells", and of course "Rock and Roll Animal".:"Take No Prisoners" is a pretty funny live recording, "I Wanna Be Black".. Also songs like "I'm Set Free", "The Gift", "Here She Comes Now".

I'm sure some of GNR know their Lou Reed and Velvets, but I'm sure you can name a thousand different things from around the world, and they're all going to recognize most of it.

The last Rock Hall induction, he was reading LC's songs, and it was TOO monotone. Cohen read a few lines from his song, people were chuckling because his delivery was good.

Southern Harmony and the Musical Companion is MY favorite cd ever. But to the general public i'd say Sticky Fingers. EVERY THI:NG about that album is perfect.

What does that even mean? Its your favorite but you are ashamed of it? It couldn't be that its unknown because that is a very popular album.

I'm not ashamed of it, but there are a lot of way bigger albums than that.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm continually being amazed by music i discover, i don't think i'll live long enough to figure it out and i'm not sure i'm capable of thinking that hard with any kind of clarity but if you want a stock pulled outta my ass answer its Nevermind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols.

There are probably over 50 albums (maybe 50 more) that i deem as totally flawless, what basis do i start organising those into order of greatness upon?

Or am i spoiling a bit of message board fun by turning it into brain surgery? :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

To CryptElf. U2 may be the most popular band I don't give a shit.Musically they are vapid,if you think sunday bloody sunday is interesting music,clearly you don't know anything.U2 is for casual ladies listeners.That or persons.