Musicians That You Believe Never Reached Their Potential

Guest Len B'stard

The Stone Roses - should've been The Beatles

I think the whole one-great-album thing kinda worked for them, though.

I agree. Was actually chatting in the pub last night when they came on about how they are one of the few bands who may have been helped by having a pretty underwhelming second album. It took so long and was dismissed so swiftly that it sort of added to the mystique of the first record and the band as a whole. If they had come out with a pretty good record, a lesser Stone Roses they may have faded into mediocrity more in the eyes of the media.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wildhearts

Very much agree with that. Ginger is in my opinion one of the very best British songwriters of the past 20 years. The songs have massive, catchy hooks but also great riffs so they still rocked like feck. I think it was just the bands desire not to be told what to do by management and also obviously certain substance issues that stopped them being absolutely huge. That being said they still have a very loyal following in the UK and they are also very popular in Japan.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't think they would have lived up to it if they'd continued. Didn't NME rate it as the best-ever?

Maybe you're right and i realise this is a ridiculous basis upon which to make the judgement i'm about to make upon but...it was all there with them, the tools, Squire was brilliant, Mani and Reni were the funkiest motherfuckers on the block and if Ian solo shit is anything to go by he's always been pretty together upstairs with ideas and boundary pushing and whatnot. I haven't really gotten around to listening to The Second Coming properly although i've given it the once over and y'know, i sincerely believe they had the wherewithal to dig themselves out of that. They were never hugely original anyway but their ordering of a given set of styles resulted in something quite extrordinary and thats a bullseye you can hit more than once if you're on the ball.

But hey, who knows? What i've heard of The Second Coming doesn't sound in the least crap though..

I don't think they would have lived up to it if they'd continued. Didn't NME rate it as the best-ever?

Maybe you're right and i realise this is a ridiculous basis upon which to make the judgement i'm about to make upon but...it was all there with them, the tools, Squire was brilliant, Mani and Reni were the funkiest motherfuckers on the block and if Ian solo shit is anything to go by he's always been pretty together upstairs with ideas and boundary pushing and whatnot. I haven't really gotten around to listening to The Second Coming properly although i've given it the once over and y'know, i sincerely believe they had the wherewithal to dig themselves out of that. They were never hugely original anyway but their ordering of a given set of styles resulted in something quite extrordinary and thats a bullseye you can hit more than once if you're on the ball.

But hey, who knows? What i've heard of The Second Coming doesn't sound in the least crap though..

Second Coming isn't bad. Just the Roses debut is so good, when you hear Second Coming, you're like "c'mon, they can do much much better."

blur

weezer

my bloody valentine

nico

joy division

I think Weezer, Blur, and MBV reached their potential.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Faith No More and Mr Bungle- Patton should have stuck with one instead of the multiple other projects. Either band coulda been great

At The Gates- wrote some influential material, never seemed to capitalize

Pavement- indie Gods and critical reception but seems like they coulda done more

Silvertide, better than Buckcherry, The Answer or Airbourne. Just came out at the wrong time and never got a fair shake... :(

Agreed!! i also agree with the dude who mentioned Asphalt ballet. a great band as well, with either singer.

Im also gonna say TUFF. they have some very powerful songs.

Nitro

Dion and the belmonts

Del Shannon

**bands that should be hits here in the states**

Hardcore Superstar

Crashdiet

Velvet Revolver-What Slash and Matt have said about Scott just dont add up(He led the entire Libretad failure). His solo album and the new STP album are brilliant. I think they and Scott could have had something great.

I actually have to argue about the vr thing. The new STP album was all the Deleo bros, according to the interviews. Scott just threw his lyrics on at the end. As for his solo album, it was mostly written by Tom Grean(or atleast collaborated on for every track) having No Doubt as a backing band didn't hurt either. Sources close to the band say he was having a coke binge around the end of VR. What's all this mean? it wasn't to be.

The Smashing Pumpkins that made Adore and Machina.

Definitely agree. Machina is one of my favorite records, the production is great and it just has a special atmosphere. The new Smashing Pumpkins is a huge disappointment, compared to those two records.

Definitely agree. Machina is one of my favorite records, the production is great and it just has a special atmosphere. The new Smashing Pumpkins is a huge disappointment, compared to those two records.

Smashing Pumpkins was always more of a Corgan solo project+backing band imo.

they are now, billy has taken an axl type approach with replacing all the old musicians with newer ones

they are now, billy has taken an axl type approach with replacing all the old musicians with newer ones

That's not what I ment. Billy always wrote (for the most part) the material himself, a lot closer to a Trent Reznor/NIN type situation than a lot of people think. Even in the band's prime, it was Corgan's show, but being the clever man he is, he promoted his group as a band cause he thought he will sell more albums this way which he did.

Edited by Rovim

I know that, but now it just sounds like his heart isn't in it. Zeitgeist was an alright, straight-forward rock album, and so far Teargarden has been pretty limp. It just disappoints me that after making records like Adore and Machina, he brought the band back with such bland music.

Edited by chevelle