Musicians That You Believe Never Reached Their Potential

Guest Len B'stard

2Pac

To be fair, 2pac is considered by many to be the greatest rapper to ever live.

I'll throw AIC out there.

Not just talkin about music, Pac had big plans about all kinds of things besides rapping. Listen to some of his interviews from around his death, he was really trying to do big things.(and i'll agree with AIC)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2Pac

To be fair, 2pac is considered by many to be the greatest rapper to ever live.

I'll throw AIC out there.

Not just talkin about music, Pac had big plans about all kinds of things besides rapping. Listen to some of his interviews from around his death, he was really trying to do big things.(and i'll agree with AIC)

Yeah, but the point is 2pac achieved enough in his life as a rapper to be considered number one at his field, so in that sense, at least career wise, he reached the top. Biggie is a better example of unfulfilled potential imo.

Edited by Rovim

Guns N' Roses - we should be mentioning them in the same class as The Rolling Stones, but instead they are known as the band that managed to implode while being the biggest group in the world

Nirvana - In Utero was a glimpse of how the band was evolving before Cobain ended it

Janis Joplin - died before her time

Jimi Hendrix - same

Alice in Chains - made a few classic albums but were constantly held back by Layne's drug addiction

2Pac - already one of the greatest rappers ever, had bigger plans including a promising film career

Snoop Dogg - was poised to possibly be the greatest rapper ever after his first two albums, The Chronic and Doggystyle, but instead chose to make mediocre albums and terrible films. Now a family-friendly pop-culture icon.

Ice Cube - see above

thats a good list. ill even add Arrested Development, great debut album then nothing

Guest Len B'stard
Guns N' Roses - we should be mentioning them in the same class as The Rolling Stones, but instead they are known as the band that managed to implode while being the biggest group in the world

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: !!!

Here i got one too, why did they chicken cross the road? :D

Guns did had the potential to be the next Rolling Stones. They had everything going for them. I don't see what's so funny about that statment.

Edited by Rovim

Guest Len B'stard

Guns did had the potential to be the next Rolling Stone. They had everything going for them. I don't see what's so funny about that statment.

I don't believe that for a second for a number of reasons...i think they were capable of pulling off a few Stones-esque jams but there's a number of things they didn't have that The Stones had and the main one is the ability to be prolific....or anyway, whether they had the ability or not i can't say but they didn't and you gotta stand on your actions. They were too heavy to have the groove that The Stones did...the metal influence was the worst aspect of Guns and they had to kind of stand on that shit cuz its what a lot of what the fans liked. What was it that Izzy said about Illusion being like sound of a Les Paul fed through a marshal amp primarily or some shit? The Stones were more like good time rock n roll, Guns touched on that shit but they just couldn't cut the mustard as far as i'm concerned.

Also, Guns needed to be licked up in a hole for 500 years to come up with one decent album, The Stones just knocked em out, on tap, to order, bang album, bang album, bang album...Guns is like a rolling fucking bitchfest soap opera. True The Stones had their share of that but when the fuckin dust settles man The Stones are great...Guns are like...very good. No way the next Stones, not in a million.

Appetite shits on the Stones entire catalogue. Jagger can't sing and every fuckin' Stones records sounds the same, just generic blues rock without the added twists the Zep introduced. Once you've heard Exile you might as well be finished with the Stones because every other album is like a shittier version. So The Stones have "Satisfaction", by far their most famous song... Guns have three equally legendary, equally recognisable songs ON ONE FUCKING album, which happens to be their debut...

GNR > The Stones

and

The Beatles >>>>>>>> The Stones

Edited by Axl Knows

Guest Len B'stard

Appetite shits on the Stones entire catalogue. Jagger can't sing and every fuckin' Stones records sounds the same, just generic blues rock without the added twists the Zep introduced. Once you've heard Exile you might as well be finished with the Stones because every other album is like a shittier version. So The Stones have "Satisfaction", by far their most famous song... Guns have three equally legendary, equally recognisable songs ON ONE FUCKING album, which happens to be their debut...

GNR > The Stones

and

The Beatles >>>>>>>> The Stones

Wow...y'know, now i think about it, you're right man...i never thought about it like that before but you're right. Thanks man.

That album is literally like lightning in a bottle, just perfect. Once in a generation kind of work.

Guns did had the potential to be the next Rolling Stone. They had everything going for them. I don't see what's so funny about that statment.

I don't believe that for a second for a number of reasons...i think they were capable of pulling off a few Stones-esque jams but there's a number of things they didn't have that The Stones had and the main one is the ability to be prolific....or anyway, whether they had the ability or not i can't say but they didn't and you gotta stand on your actions. They were too heavy to have the groove that The Stones did...the metal influence was the worst aspect of Guns and they had to kind of stand on that shit cuz its what a lot of what the fans liked. What was it that Izzy said about Illusion being like sound of a Les Paul fed through a marshal amp primarily or some shit? The Stones were more like good time rock n roll, Guns touched on that shit but they just couldn't cut the mustard as far as i'm concerned.

Also, Guns needed to be licked up in a hole for 500 years to come up with one decent album, The Stones just knocked em out, on tap, to order, bang album, bang album, bang album...Guns is like a rolling fucking bitchfest soap opera. True The Stones had their share of that but when the fuckin dust settles man The Stones are great...Guns are like...very good. No way the next Stones, not in a million.

The problem is Guns, especially Axl, took the band and the music way too seriously. The Stones never took being the Stones or writing the music too seriously and so it just freely flowed and was fun, not forced.

Guest Len B'stard

The problem is Guns, especially Axl, took the band and the music way too seriously. The Stones never took being the Stones or writing the music too seriously and so it just freely flowed and was fun, not forced.

I know what you mean and i pretty much agree...to me the measure of genius is to be able to do it again and again and again, knock it out the box consistently and frequently like the stones did, not take 5 million years to make one album,

I know what you mean and i pretty much agree...to me the measure of genius is to be able to do it again and again and again, knock it out the box consistently and frequently like the stones did, not take 5 million years to make one album,

Well let's put it this way--It took Guns THREE YEARS to make the UYI. It took the Stones less than a year to make Exile and that was after making Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed and Beggar's Banquet back to back.

The Rolling Stones started their career making cover albums laced with original songs. Guns ended their career (which only spanned in terms of music from 1986-1994) with no original songs and a cover album. Guns died after barely a decade. The Stones, at the same point in their history (1962-1971) had just released Beggar's, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers.

Also add in the fact that Slash was a fucking puss who never stood up to Axl or the direction of the band and Izzy was a guy who'd rather run away than deal with the problems in the band and you can see why they imploded.

I mean even Charlie Watts had more balls than Slash. One night in the early-mid 80s, when drunk Mick referred to Charlie as "His" drummer, at which Charlie came and punched him right across the face. Or Keith, sticking his switch blade against the throats of producers threatening them if they didn't make the album sound like a Stones album.

Slash was sort of like a puss who just kind of said "OK, Axl, Ok Axl" until finally he had enough and like Izzy ran away. No one ever stood up to Axl.

This argument has happened so many times and I dont think anyone actually knows what happened.

Members of the old line up know what happend, the problem is we don't know who to believe because they can't prove their version is the truth. (for the most part)

Shannon Hoon. I know somebody said Blind Melon already, but Shannon was, and is Blind Melon. I read it somewhere about Axl telling Baz aboout Hoon, and that he blows them away. Shannon was amazing.

Mother Love Bone.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

These two are the first that immediately sprang to mind.