Old GNR Would Have Gotten Boring

Axl Knows

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock, and neither of them seem particularly good at it anymore. Slash's solo album sucked alot of dick and was vastly inferior to Chinese Democracy in almost every respect. Even the Illusions were filled with samey sounding tracks from Izzy and Slash, who both became lazy, uninspired songwriters after they had their lucky break courtest of W. Axl Rose. Axl was the only one who seemed interested in honing the songwriting craft and it was his contributions that raised the UYI albums out of the depths of mediocrity. I truly believe that Axl was the heart and soul of GNR. His lyrics, vocals, and vocal melodies made GNR stand out from the crowd. The rest of the lineup were no different and no more talented than any number of other hard rock musicians.

So basically, I think GNR's breakup was a good thing. The old band were restricting Axl's ambition and pigeon holing GNR into some hard rock cliche... Regardless of whether you like Chinese Democracy or not, you have to respect that it's daring and ambitious... unlike Slash, Duff, and Izzy's generic fuckin' crap post 1990. Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Thoughts?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the breakup in most respects but I did enjoy the new Slash record. Ultimately what happened was better for all parties involved.

I thought the new Slash record was as generic as they come. Not surprising considering it was written by the world's number.1 media whore. Slash makes Gene Simmons look like a true music lover and nonmaterialist.

Fudd, aren't you the guy who writes Slash fanfiction? :rofl-lol: You said something like that in another thread. I can imagine it now...

"Slash raises his right hand, and with a snap of his wrist, the A minor chord rings out with shimmering brilliance. His muscles ripple under the boiling heat of the stage lights, his dark, chiseled body covered in sweat..."

-FuddMckagan

:rofl-lol:

Anyway, back on topic. Do you have anything to actually add or are you just going to spam? I think you know I'm right and are probably at a bit of a loss for a rebuttal...

Edited by Axl Knows

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vodms6Pwf6I :shrugs:

Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Funny thing being, a good bunch of those bands are more respected, bigger draws than GNR these days...

Edited by moreblack

Fudd, aren't you the guy who writes Slash fanfiction? :rofl-lol: You said something like that in another thread. I can imagine it now...

"Slash raises his right hand, and with a snap of his wrist, the A minor chord rings out with shimmering brilliance. His muscles ripple under the boiling heat of the stage lights, his dark, chiseled body covered in sweat..."

-FuddMckagan

:rofl-lol:

Anyway, back on topic. Do you have anything to actually add or are you just going to spam? I think you know I'm right and are probably at a bit of a loss for a rebuttal...

double-facepalm.jpg

Dude you made this thread in an attempt to cupcake. I'm just doing the same to you.

Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Funny thing being, a good bunch of those bands are more respected, bigger draws than GNR these days...

For the stuff they put out 20-30 years ago.

BTW, that Obsession Confession song is awesome. Hadn't heard it before.

Edited by bacardimayne

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock,

That was fucking awful lol. Slash needs a songwriter. Shame he f*cked Axl over. If he hadn't done that he'd still have some coattails to cling to.

And Lady Gaga is a bigger draw than all of them... The more you whore the more you score.

That was fucking awful lol. Slash needs a songwriter.

falso

durr opinions can be false durr

For the record I loved the song.

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock, and neither of them seem particularly good at it anymore. Slash's solo album sucked alot of dick and was vastly inferior to Chinese Democracy in almost every respect. Even the Illusions were filled with samey sounding tracks from Izzy and Slash, who both became lazy, uninspired songwriters after they had their lucky break courtest of W. Axl Rose. Axl was the only one who seemed interested in honing the songwriting craft and it was his contributions that raised the UYI albums out of the depths of mediocrity. I truly believe that Axl was the heart and soul of GNR. His lyrics, vocals, and vocal melodies made GNR stand out from the crowd. The rest of the lineup were no different and no more talented than any number of other hard rock musicians.

So basically, I think GNR's breakup was a good thing. The old band were restricting Axl's ambition and pigeon holing GNR into some hard rock cliche... Regardless of whether you like Chinese Democracy or not, you have to respect that it's daring and ambitious... unlike Slash, Duff, and Izzy's generic fuckin' crap post 1990. Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Thoughts?

So what your post boils down to is this:

Slash's solo album and slash suck, Axl was the only talent in the original GNR and the breakup was a good thing.

Are you fucking retarded?

No, that's a legitimate question. Really. When you were in grade school, was the bus you took to school substancially shorter than the ones the rest of the kids took?

Your opinion is utter bullshit. And before you tell me to get off Slash's dick, I'll tell you the same for Axl. I wasn't a huge fan of VR, and you can check that section for my various threads stating so, but to say Slash and his album suck and that Chinese Democracy was substancially better could not come from any other mouth other than one that would gladly have Axl's dick in it. That's a fact. I love GNR and CD, but By The Sword owns the best single from CD easily. Fuck man, even with all the hype, I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've heard Chinese Democracy the single played on a radio station and never once heard any other of the singles. Now I'm fully expecting you to answer back with some "oh, radio play doesn't mean it's good", because that's pretty much the only thing you can say, since statisticaly Slash is surpassing CD in every way.

A8R

Thoughts?

Slash's solo album and slash suck, Axl was the only talent in the original GNR and the breakup was a good thing.

No, that's a legitimate question. Really. When you were in grade school, was the bus you took to school substancially shorter than the ones the rest of the kids took?

Your opinion is utter bullshit. And before you tell me to get off Slash's dick, I'll tell you the same for Axl. I wasn't a huge fan of VR, and you can check that section for my various threads stating so, but to say Slash and his album suck and that Chinese Democracy was substancially better could not come from any other mouth other than one that would gladly have Axl's dick in it. That's a fact. I love GNR and CD, but By The Sword owns the best single from CD easily. Fuck man, even with all the hype, I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've heard Chinese Democracy the single played on a radio station and never once heard any other of the singles. Now I'm fully expecting you to answer back with some "oh, radio play doesn't mean it's good", because that's pretty much the only thing you can say, since statisticaly Slash is surpassing CD in every way.

A8R

Dude, I like Slash CD, I like Izzy solo carrer and I like some VR songs. But they are repetitive! They're making the same kind of music since their GNR era! Chinese Democracy is out since 2008 and I still listen to it a lot. Slash is out for like 2 or 3 months and I don't listen to it anymore.

falso

opinions can be false

It's a good tune, dude said not capable of writing other than rock, and when proven wrong, it's awful. Not every opinion is truthful

Yep, that's right, kiddy. That's the gist of it.

Nah. But I get free blowjobs from your mom. I know that's unrelated but I just thought I should tell you that she gives great head. I'm sure you know that already though.

Check your spelling, genius.

Don't kid yourself. Chinese Democracy may not be to your taste but it's undisputably the more creative, daring, and overall better album than Slash's. "Better" takes a shit on Saul Hudson's entire post-GNR career. Axl is simply a better songwriter. Post-1990, Axl was actually coming up with better, more creative RIFFS than Slash as a NON-GUITARIST. Dead Horse was better than any of Slash's contributions to the UYI albums.

The bottom line is that Slash promotes his stuff to a much greater extent, writes more radio-friendly songs, and sucks corporate dick with the ferocity of a rabid dog. Axl doesn't. The amount of radio play isn't relevant. If it was relevant, nobody would consider Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica a masterpiece.

falso

opinions can be false

It's a good tune, dude said not capable of writing other than rock, and when proven wrong, it's awful. Not every opinion is truthful

No, I'm just a realist. That song was shit, kinda like Saul's entire post-GNR career,