Old GNR Would Have Gotten Boring

Axl Knows

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock, and neither of them seem particularly good at it anymore. Slash's solo album sucked alot of dick and was vastly inferior to Chinese Democracy in almost every respect. Even the Illusions were filled with samey sounding tracks from Izzy and Slash, who both became lazy, uninspired songwriters after they had their lucky break courtest of W. Axl Rose. Axl was the only one who seemed interested in honing the songwriting craft and it was his contributions that raised the UYI albums out of the depths of mediocrity. I truly believe that Axl was the heart and soul of GNR. His lyrics, vocals, and vocal melodies made GNR stand out from the crowd. The rest of the lineup were no different and no more talented than any number of other hard rock musicians.

So basically, I think GNR's breakup was a good thing. The old band were restricting Axl's ambition and pigeon holing GNR into some hard rock cliche... Regardless of whether you like Chinese Democracy or not, you have to respect that it's daring and ambitious... unlike Slash, Duff, and Izzy's generic fuckin' crap post 1990. Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Thoughts?

New GNR isn't any better. One album, a handful of shows and a revolving door of musicians. If you ask me, I'd MUCH rather have the same ol GNR than the joke that is Axl's GNR now.

since statisticaly Slash is surpassing CD in every way.

You forgot the part where CD has sold more copies and has a higher average score in critic reviews. Nice try though.

And that has nothing to do with the music on the discs....nothing.

Again, two obvious and transparent threads made by the same person. I think it's pretty easy to see what's going on here.

You're only calling these threads transparent because you disagree with the sentiment and because you hate new GNR. You wouldn't be calling this thread trolling if I were running new GNR down, would you? So why don't you debate the point instead of trolling my thread?

So what your post boils down to is this:

Slash's solo album and slash suck, Axl was the only talent in the original GNR and the breakup was a good thing.

Yep, that's right, kiddy. That's the gist of it.

Are you fucking retarded?

Nah. But I get free blowjobs from your mom. I know that's unrelated but I just thought I should tell you that she gives great head. I'm sure you know that already though.

No, that's a legitimate question. Really. When you were in grade school, was the bus you took to school substancially shorter than the ones the rest of the kids took?

Check your spelling, genius.

Your opinion is utter bullshit. And before you tell me to get off Slash's dick, I'll tell you the same for Axl. I wasn't a huge fan of VR, and you can check that section for my various threads stating so, but to say Slash and his album suck and that Chinese Democracy was substancially better could not come from any other mouth other than one that would gladly have Axl's dick in it. That's a fact. I love GNR and CD, but By The Sword owns the best single from CD easily. Fuck man, even with all the hype, I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've heard Chinese Democracy the single played on a radio station and never once heard any other of the singles. Now I'm fully expecting you to answer back with some "oh, radio play doesn't mean it's good", because that's pretty much the only thing you can say, since statisticaly Slash is surpassing CD in every way.

Don't kid yourself. Chinese Democracy may not be to your taste but it's undisputably the more creative, daring, and overall better album than Slash's. "Better" takes a shit on Saul Hudson's entire post-GNR career. Axl is simply a better songwriter. Post-1990, Axl was actually coming up with better, more creative RIFFS than Slash as a NON-GUITARIST. Dead Horse was better than any of Slash's contributions to the UYI albums.

The bottom line is that Slash promotes his stuff to a much greater extent, writes more radio-friendly songs, and sucks corporate dick with the ferocity of a rabid dog. Axl doesn't. The amount of radio play isn't relevant. If it was relevant, nobody would consider Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica a masterpiece.

Better owns Slash eh? You mean the single that never got played anywhere except for a live GNR show and a hardcore GNR fans playlist? That single that GNR never even bothered to make a video for? The one that the vast majority of rock fans haven't heard, or didn't care all that much for the few times they have? Man, you've got your head driven so far up your own ass it's incredible.

Do yourself a favor and call up a good proctologist who might be able to help you find your head. Once it's extracted, wipe your eyes and dig the fucking shit out of your ears and maybe you'll see that you're a biased idiotic internet nerd with a worthless opinion. And then once your head is where it should be, maybe you could come back and show me something that doesn't contain a mom joke after I blast you. Seriously, who comes back with "your mom" jokes other that some generic, unintelligent, nerdy, unwitty, moron? Do you really think I don't look down around my ankles at you and laugh while somewhat feeling sorry for you mother, who is likely ashamed at what a fail her offspring is, living in her basement?

A8R

Edited by Allen8R

Axl collaborates. Your argument is that he is a one man show and didn't need any of them as much as they needed him.

In hindsight, UYI does not stand up as a "masterpiece". There's a lot of great songs on there, but catalog sales of the Hits and Appetite, as well as GNR's setlist being Appetite heavy does show that AFD is the draw to see GNR in the 21st century.

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock, and neither of them seem particularly good at it anymore. Slash's solo album sucked alot of dick and was vastly inferior to Chinese Democracy in almost every respect. Even the Illusions were filled with samey sounding tracks from Izzy and Slash, who both became lazy, uninspired songwriters after they had their lucky break courtest of W. Axl Rose. Axl was the only one who seemed interested in honing the songwriting craft and it was his contributions that raised the UYI albums out of the depths of mediocrity. I truly believe that Axl was the heart and soul of GNR. His lyrics, vocals, and vocal melodies made GNR stand out from the crowd. The rest of the lineup were no different and no more talented than any number of other hard rock musicians.

So basically, I think GNR's breakup was a good thing. The old band were restricting Axl's ambition and pigeon holing GNR into some hard rock cliche... Regardless of whether you like Chinese Democracy or not, you have to respect that it's daring and ambitious... unlike Slash, Duff, and Izzy's generic fuckin' crap post 1990. Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Thoughts?

Just to give me a heads up RoboAxl, how many other threads like this are you gonna make? I mean last time you made a new one pretty much every day, are we gonna see the same amount of shit this time or have you dialed it down a bit?

Thoughts?

So what your post boils down to is this:

Slash's solo album and slash suck, Axl was the only talent in the original GNR and the breakup was a good thing.

Are you fucking retarded?

No, that's a legitimate question. Really. When you were in grade school, was the bus you took to school substancially shorter than the ones the rest of the kids took?

Your opinion is utter bullshit. And before you tell me to get off Slash's dick, I'll tell you the same for Axl. I wasn't a huge fan of VR, and you can check that section for my various threads stating so, but to say Slash and his album suck and that Chinese Democracy was substancially better could not come from any other mouth other than one that would gladly have Axl's dick in it. That's a fact. I love GNR and CD, but By The Sword owns the best single from CD easily. Fuck man, even with all the hype, I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've heard Chinese Democracy the single played on a radio station and never once heard any other of the singles. Now I'm fully expecting you to answer back with some "oh, radio play doesn't mean it's good", because that's pretty much the only thing you can say, since statisticaly Slash is surpassing CD in every way.

A8R

Dude, I like Slash CD, I like Izzy solo carrer and I like some VR songs. But they are repetitive! They're making the same kind of music since their GNR era! Chinese Democracy is out since 2008 and I still listen to it a lot. Slash is out for like 2 or 3 months and I don't listen to it anymore.

I still listen to appetite for destruction more than I listen to Slash, Izzy and new GNR put together. Me and like 90% of all other GNR and rock n' roll fans.

since statisticaly Slash is surpassing CD in every way.

You forgot the part where CD has sold more copies and has a higher average score in critic reviews. Nice try though.

And that has nothing to do with the music on the discs....nothing.

Seeing as how Allen was trying to talk "statistics", I don't think he was trying to talk about the music on disc.

Better owns Slash eh? You mean the single that never got played anywhere except for a live GNR show and a hardcore GNR fans playlist? That single that GNR never even bothered to make a video for? The one that the vast majority of rock fans haven't heard, or didn't care all that much for the few times they have? Man, you've got your head driven so far up your own ass it's incredible.

Do yourself a favor and call up a good proctologist who might be able to help you find your head. Once it's extracted, wipe your eyes and dig the fucking shit out of your ears and maybe you'll see that you're a biased idiotic internet nerd with a worthless opinion. And then once your head is where it should be, maybe you could come back and show me something that doesn't contain a mom joke after I blast you. Seriously, who comes back with "your mom" jokes other that some generic, unintelligent, nerdy, unwitty, moron? Do you really think I don't look down around my ankles at you and laugh while somewhat feeling sorry for you mother, who is likely ashamed at what a fail her offspring is, living in her basement?

Yep, as I said, I strongly believe that "Better" is "better" than anything Slash has put out post Appetite. Again, popularity does not = quality. I know that's hard for kids like you to grasp when you base the quality of a song on the number of youtube hits it has. :rolleyes:

And I think we've all heard the "mom's basement" remarks before too, kiddy. :rolleyes: Like Slash, you're a bit too generic.

New GNR isn't any better. One album, a handful of shows and a revolving door of musicians. If you ask me, I'd MUCH rather have the same ol GNR than the joke that is Axl's GNR now.

Who's surprised to hear that come from you though? You're a blatant Axl hater.

It's Slash who is the joke. He's been a joke since the Illusions era when he basically gave up on trying to write decent material and had Axl pick up the slack.

even tho this thread is all bullshit i have to point this out to the slash fans

you guys are jumping on him like there's no tomorrow, while you guys are doing the same thing when bashing new gn'r

i think that's the main point of this thread

leave this thread open, i'd like to see how many of the new gn'r trashers will respond to this thread

Edited by UcudBmineCD

even tho this thread is all bullshit i have to point this out to the slash fans

you guys are jumping on him like there's no tomorrow, while you guys are doing the same thing when bashing new gn'r

i think that's the main point of this thread

leave this thread open, i'd like to see how many of the new gn'r trashers will respond to this thread

I'm sure that if there is one thing Axl and Slash fans could agree on, it's that things would have been much better off if they kept on playing together. It's this fact that makes any criticism of this idiotic cupcake, regardless to who it comes from, absolutely valid.

A8R

I'm sure that if there is one thing Axl and Slash fans could agree on, it's that things would have been much better off if they kept on playing together. It's this fact that makes any criticism of this idiotic cupcake, regardless to who it comes from, absolutely valid.

A8R

No, as you can see in this thread, many people agree with my opinions on the matter. GNR broke up at the right time. Slash, Duff and Izzy's laziness in regards to songwriting ruined the creativty and chemistry of that lineup. The three of them just stopped trying to write anything decent and it was pathetic to see.

Edited by Axl Knows

i think the original band probably ran its course, which is why things fell apart.

hard to say what would have came about if slash and axl stuck together but by that point both steven and izzy were gone, so if you are one of the "its not guns n roses" people, that would apply in 1996 as well.

A8R

No, as you can see in this thread, many people agree with my opinions on the matter. GNR broke up at the right time. Slash, Duff and Izzy's laziness in regards to songwriting ruined the creativty and chemistry of that lineup. The three of them just stopped trying to write anything decent and it was pathetic to see.

HAHA, so you think if we were to do a poll in this or any general rock forum, an overwhelming amount of people wouldn't vote that GNR should have stuck together? Don't open your mouth too wide, you might choke to death on your own shit.

head-up-ass.jpg

Edited by Allen8R

HAHA, so you think if we were to do a poll in this or any general rock forum, an overwhelming amount of people wouldn't vote that GNR should have stuck together? Don't open your mouth too wide, you might choke to death on your own shit.

So it's all about popularity to you then? Kids these days. Jesus.

Thoughts?

Great post.

Slash's album had a few good tunes Ghost, Promise, Dr. Alibi, but I mean...Snakepit sucked. Sure, it had some nice riffs but basically it was boring. IMO. And that would have been the next GNR album if Axl agreed to it! (Axl later said he'd take a few songs off it for the next record)

And long ago I wanted Axl to "make the hard rock record, bring back rock n roll" etc. But there comes a time when u realize that going the route of CD in making a different sounds was the best thing.

I agree on the breakup in most respects but I did enjoy the new Slash record. Ultimately what happened was better for all parties involved.

I thought the new Slash record was as generic as they come. Not surprising considering it was written by the world's number.1 media whore. Slash makes Gene Simmons look like a true music lover and nonmaterialist.

I wouldn't go that far dude.