Old GNR Would Have Gotten Boring

Axl Knows

Who gave this white boy internet access? Chinese Detoxity? You mean that awkward, $15 mil attempt at channeling Radiohead, Korn, and Nine Inch Nails? Shiiiit. The solo on "Serial Killer", Elan, Contraband (sans "Fall To Pieces"), and the "Obsession" track betray your entire effort, dude. Detoxity is, at best, an interesting record- but not listenable.

Though you probably like "This I Love", so...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock, and neither of them seem particularly good at it anymore. Slash's solo album sucked alot of dick and was vastly inferior to Chinese Democracy in almost every respect. Even the Illusions were filled with samey sounding tracks from Izzy and Slash, who both became lazy, uninspired songwriters after they had their lucky break courtest of W. Axl Rose. Axl was the only one who seemed interested in honing the songwriting craft and it was his contributions that raised the UYI albums out of the depths of mediocrity. I truly believe that Axl was the heart and soul of GNR. His lyrics, vocals, and vocal melodies made GNR stand out from the crowd. The rest of the lineup were no different and no more talented than any number of other hard rock musicians.

So basically, I think GNR's breakup was a good thing. The old band were restricting Axl's ambition and pigeon holing GNR into some hard rock cliche... Regardless of whether you like Chinese Democracy or not, you have to respect that it's daring and ambitious... unlike Slash, Duff, and Izzy's generic fuckin' crap post 1990. Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Thoughts?

Well to be fair the nu band have never equalled the old band to date. Either musically or in terms of commercial success. AFD is a classic album Chi Dem is not. The classic line up was one of the biggest bands ever the new one is not.

I'm not sure you can say what would have happened there was a definite evolution of the band between AFD and UYI they certainly could not be accused of trying to stick out AFD part II.

You may not have liked Slashes new album but personally I loved it, I never found myself forcing myself to listen to Slashs album, but found myself doing that with large parts of Chi Dem. Again theough its all totally subjective. Its not even that I like everything slash has done I hated the 2nd snakepit and VR album.

What made GnR stand out was that there was a great synergy between teh various members that none of them has replicated individually. Yes Axls, lyrics, vocals and vocal melodies were a vital ingredient, as were Slash's riffs and songs, with Izzy's song writing and chemistry with Slash, Duffs looping base line and Adler's sense of swing.

I see no reason musically at least why the original line up could not have continued in the same vain as U2 releasing great albums to a large and appreciative fan base.

Also I don't see why you give it up to Axl for being daring and Ambitious? I grant you it was pretty daring to put out an album with a GnR name but a vastly different sound( and line up). However the music itself was not that daring or ambitious? It was more like Axl's take on what had gone on in the rock world over the previous 15 years + his elton john moment on street of dreams, nothing on it to my ears was that new? Moreover its fine taking the band in a new direction but anyone can do that the test it to still produce great music in the process and for me Axl failed in this.

Thats the sad thing for me one great band and disintegrated into a bunch of average bands. Sure they all have great tracks here and there but you look at what the original line up achieved in a relatively short space of time and what they have all odne since and it seems clear that they are strugling without each other.

Edited by Lines&Noses

Thank god someone had the balls to say Old Saul is overrated, and I agree with almost everything Axl Knows said. What did Slash really contribute to the band compared to Axl, Izzy, and Duff??? Yea yea he had some popular solo's, but he is almost as replaceable as say Dizzy or Teddy zig zag. The guy did pratically nothing in the lyric process and never did anything besides guitar, unlike Axl, Izzy, and Duff. Duff co-wrote, sang lead vocals, and played bass. Izzy co-wrote and wrote many songs, sang, and played guitar. Axl well of course sang, wrote, played guitar once in awhile and his voice made GNR as famous as they are. Are you telling me that you would love Guns N' Roses if Slash was with a bunch of horrible bandmates?? Just look at how great "Spaghetti Incident?" did without Izzy, but with the god known as Slash. Then compare the album's greatness to Chinese Democracy where the heavenly Slash wasn't in.

Anyone can play guitar; not everyone can sing or write powerful lyrics.

This is totally wrong?

Slash wrote many fo the bands best songs?

Also you slam Slash for the TSI but what about Axl?Why is he not culpable here too? (for the record I like TSI its not the best but there are stil four - fice songs I still listen too one morehtan Chi Dem).

You can argue which you loike best but compare Chi Dem to anything in the old bands catalogue but especially AFD, and I pick AFD because I think it was the only album that was a truely collaberative effort, Axl was already tryign to stamp his authority by the time UYI came along, and Chi Dem just pales in comparison? By any tangible measure> Sales,AFD's status as a classic album etc.

They were too enamoured with blues based hard rock numbers. I've seen no evidence that Slash or Izzy are capable of writing anything other than old-fashioned hard rock, and neither of them seem particularly good at it anymore. Slash's solo album sucked alot of dick and was vastly inferior to Chinese Democracy in almost every respect. Even the Illusions were filled with samey sounding tracks from Izzy and Slash, who both became lazy, uninspired songwriters after they had their lucky break courtest of W. Axl Rose. Axl was the only one who seemed interested in honing the songwriting craft and it was his contributions that raised the UYI albums out of the depths of mediocrity. I truly believe that Axl was the heart and soul of GNR. His lyrics, vocals, and vocal melodies made GNR stand out from the crowd. The rest of the lineup were no different and no more talented than any number of other hard rock musicians.

So basically, I think GNR's breakup was a good thing. The old band were restricting Axl's ambition and pigeon holing GNR into some hard rock cliche... Regardless of whether you like Chinese Democracy or not, you have to respect that it's daring and ambitious... unlike Slash, Duff, and Izzy's generic fuckin' crap post 1990. Thank god GNR never became another Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Kiss/Aerosmith... churning out the same cliched garbage year after year.

Thoughts?

So, You live inside Axl's arse, you must tell us. Does the carpet match the curtains?

Thoughts?

Well to be fair the nu band have never equalled the old band to date. Either musically or in terms of commercial success. AFD is a classic album Chi Dem is not. The classic line up was one of the biggest bands ever the new one is not.

I'm not sure you can say what would have happened there was a definite evolution of the band between AFD and UYI they certainly could not be accused of trying to stick out AFD part II.

You may not have liked Slashes new album but personally I loved it, I never found myself forcing myself to listen to Slashs album, but found myself doing that with large parts of Chi Dem. Again theough its all totally subjective. Its not even that I like everything slash has done I hated the 2nd snakepit and VR album.

What made GnR stand out was that there was a great synergy between teh various members that none of them has replicated individually. Yes Axls, lyrics, vocals and vocal melodies were a vital ingredient, as were Slash's riffs and songs, with Izzy's song writing and chemistry with Slash, Duffs looping base line and Adler's sense of swing.

I see no reason musically at least why the original line up could not have continued in the same vain as U2 releasing great albums to a large and appreciative fan base.

Also I don't see why you give it up to Axl for being daring and Ambitious? I grant you it was pretty daring to put out an album with a GnR name but a vastly different sound( and line up). However the music itself was not that daring or ambitious? It was more like Axl's take on what had gone on in the rock world over the previous 15 years + his elton john moment on street of dreams, nothing on it to my ears was that new? Moreover its fine taking the band in a new direction but anyone can do that the test it to still produce great music in the process and for me Axl failed in this.

Thats the sad thing for me one great band and disintegrated into a bunch of average bands. Sure they all have great tracks here and there but you look at what the original line up achieved in a relatively short space of time and what they have all odne since and it seems clear that they are strugling without each other.

Very fair.

I think Duff's solo work is actually a good deal more interesting than Slash's. I found Slash's album to be kind of bland and actually restrained. It sounded like he just wrote in the style of whatever band the singer belonged to and that ended up not always working. He had better and more interesting rhythm work than solos on the new one. Kind of strange to me. That being said, Beautiful Dangerous is a pretty great and catchy song. This really shouldn't be SLASH FUCKING SUCKS vs AXL IS GOD. Slash has his style of playing that is set from what he listened to growing up and playing as a young man. That's what he likes so that is what he plays. Same idea with Robin's style, Bucket's style, and Bumblefoot's style. Obviously Bucket and Bumble play a lot of diverse stuff, but they have a distinct style derived from what they were playing and listening to as young men. But I agree the original band would have become boring. I imagine if they had put out albums for the rest of the 90s, they would have ended up being full of the "lesser" tracks from UYI. That wouldn't have been good to me. Musically at least, I think everyone benefittted from the break up. Axl got to created his work, Slash got to play his rock and roll. Plus we got an album full of pretty awesome stuff from Axl and some pretty good stuff from Slash via solo and Velvet Revolver.

I think Duff's solo work is actually a good deal more interesting than Slash's. I found Slash's album to be kind of bland and actually restrained. It sounded like he just wrote in the style of whatever band the singer belonged to and that ended up not always working. He had better and more interesting rhythm work than solos on the new one. Kind of strange to me. That being said, Beautiful Dangerous is a pretty great and catchy song. This really shouldn't be SLASH FUCKING SUCKS vs AXL IS GOD. Slash has his style of playing that is set from what he listened to growing up and playing as a young man. That's what he likes so that is what he plays. Same idea with Robin's style, Bucket's style, and Bumblefoot's style. Obviously Bucket and Bumble play a lot of diverse stuff, but they have a distinct style derived from what they were playing and listening to as young men. But I agree the original band would have become boring. I imagine if they had put out albums for the rest of the 90s, they would have ended up being full of the "lesser" tracks from UYI. That wouldn't have been good to me. Musically at least, I think everyone benefittted from the break up. Axl got to created his work, Slash got to play his rock and roll. Plus we got an album full of pretty awesome stuff from Axl and some pretty good stuff from Slash via solo and Velvet Revolver.

:thumbsup:

I think Loaded and Slashs stuff are pretty equal. Loaded have some great songs, but also some very bland meh ones, just like a few of the snakepit songs.

Duffs solo effort was awful, the music itself was great and very GnRish but the lyrical content and singing was crap, hes matured into a great all round musician.

What we have here is a Beatles Syndrome. The Beatles together were the greatest but all of their solo efforts failed to live up to the standard of the group effort. Same for GnR. All of the original 5's solo and side stuff fails to live up to AFD and UYI.

Lol@ all of these retarded kids with Slash and Duff avatars knocking Axl and the new band. Clear Slash's semen out of your years.

I for one am happy that Slash has never resorted to trend chasing like Axl did in the late 90's trying to sound like every other metal/industrial sounding band at the time. We already had one Nine Inch Nails, we didn't need another.

Slash showed a tremendous amount of range and versatility on his album.

Gotten is musically possibly one of the most beautiful pieces of music any of them have ever done, By the Sword is like GNR meets Zeppelin and is entirely epic, Starlight is a truly beautiful ballad, Nothing to Say is Slash's take on a metal sound, and to top it off he showed he can even do a killer pop song in Beautiful/Dangerous.

Want to hear Slash do classical music, check out his take on Rachminov with Vocalise, it is freaking amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dD4IWGOlRs

Slash has shown through all his various projects that he can play just about any style of music, and the people that think he is only capable of the same monotone blues rock just aren't listening.

If Axl was chasing trends and trying to stay current, he wouldn't have been living completely cut off from the world for the entirety of the late 90's you silly hater...

Tremendous versatility and range? You mean a few generic ballads makes Slash more than a cliched blues rocker? Lol fail. 90% of his music is based around a couple of powerchords and 100% of it sounds no better or more original than Nickelback. I guess Nickelback have shown tremendous versatility and range as well then lol.

The new Slash album is so much better than Chinese Democracy on all sorts of levels.

I have to disagree with the 1st post.

Nah. Slash's solo album sucked. I listened to it several times because as a big GNR fan I really, really wanted to like it. But after listening to Velvet Revolver, Slash's UYI songs, Snakepit, and his solo album I've concluded that Slash justcan't write anymore. What other conclusion can I come too when he hasn't written a decent song since 1987? I feel sorry for the guy. He's just gotten lazy IMO. Without Axl there to cover up for him his weaknesses as a musician have been horribly exposed.

im sure slash and duff are glad the band broke up, probably be dead otherwise

They already are musically.

Lol@ all of these retarded kids with Slash and Duff avatars knocking Axl and the new band. Clear Slash's semen out of your years.

I for one am happy that Slash has never resorted to trend chasing like Axl did in the late 90's trying to sound like every other metal/industrial sounding band at the time. We already had one Nine Inch Nails, we didn't need another.

Slash showed a tremendous amount of range and versatility on his album.

Gotten is musically possibly one of the most beautiful pieces of music any of them have ever done, By the Sword is like GNR meets Zeppelin and is entirely epic, Starlight is a truly beautiful ballad, Nothing to Say is Slash's take on a metal sound, and to top it off he showed he can even do a killer pop song in Beautiful/Dangerous.

Want to hear Slash do classical music, check out his take on Rachminov with Vocalise, it is freaking amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dD4IWGOlRs

Slash has shown through all his various projects that he can play just about any style of music, and the people that think he is only capable of the same monotone blues rock just aren't listening.

If Axl was chasing trends and trying to stay current, he wouldn't have been living completely cut off from the world for the entirety of the late 90's you silly hater...

Tremendous versatility and range? You mean a few generic ballads makes Slash more than a cliched blues rocker? Lol fail. 90% of his music is based around a couple of powerchords and 100% of it sounds no better or more original than Nickelback. I guess Nickelback have shown tremendous versatility and range as well then lol.

The new Slash album is so much better than Chinese Democracy on all sorts of levels.

I have to disagree with the 1st post.

Nah. Slash's solo album sucked. I listened to it several times because as a big GNR fan I really, really wanted to like it. But after listening to Velvet Revolver, Slash's UYI songs, Snakepit, and his solo album I've concluded that Slash justcan't write anymore. What other conclusion can I come too when he hasn't written a decent song since 1987? I feel sorry for the guy. He's just gotten lazy IMO. Without Axl there to cover up for him his weaknesses as a musician have been horribly exposed.

im sure slash and duff are glad the band broke up, probably be dead otherwise

They already are musically.

Lol you are clearly a cupcake

Message from Axl "please get your tongue out of my arse" don;t worry its just while he takes a shit you can stick it back it after!

Who gave this white boy internet access? Chinese Detoxity? You mean that awkward, $15 mil attempt at channeling Radiohead, Korn, and Nine Inch Nails? Shiiiit. The solo on "Serial Killer", Elan, Contraband (sans "Fall To Pieces"), and the "Obsession" track betray your entire effort, dude. Detoxity is, at best, an interesting record- but not listenable.

So all you care about are the guitar solo's? That's all you keep mentioning. Haha. I think that's pretty representative of most Saul fanboys actually.

Chinese Democracy is still better than anything Saul has put out in terms of songwriting AND guitar work. Much more creative and much more listenable, unless you like listening to the same song ad-infinitum which is what it's like going through Saul's solo career. Deep down I think you know this, it's just hard for you to swallow...

So all you care about are the guitar solo's? That's all you keep mentioning. Haha. I think that's pretty representative of most Saul fanboys actually.

Chinese Democracy is still better than anything Saul has put out in terms of songwriting AND guitar work. Much more creative and much more listenable, unless you like listening to the same song ad-infinitum which is what it's like going through Saul's solo career. Deep down I think you know this, it's just hard for you to swallow...

Exactly,and with that statement,this debate has become a moot point, the saulites won't see defeat when it's more than obvious, checkmate,game over.

Exactly,and with that statement,this debate has become a moot point, the saulites won't see defeat when it's more than obvious, checkmate,game over.

How so? I am Saulite but I m also an Billite.

I think with tracks Prostitute, Better, TWAT and Madagascar Axl has some really good songs. I have already talked about the solo in TWAT and how wonderful I think it is. It can stand up to anything in the GnR catalogue, but it is just one song?

I've already said though Chi Dem is weaker than AFD and Saul put that out. Chi Dem is prolly marginally stronger than Contraband but to my ears Slither is stronger than anything on Chi Dem. But imo Slashs new solo album is better than Chi Dem.

So does that make it ceckmate and game over to the Saulite's. Or is jut my opion, just like the above is jsut your opinion.

If you went to have a sensible debate lets have reasoned arguements?

If you think chi Dem is better how? Are there tangible measures you can back your argumetns up with?

Edited by Lines&Noses

"Nah. But I get free blowjobs from your mom. I know that's unrelated but I just thought I should tell you that she gives great head. I'm sure you know that already though."

Judging by your posts, I would of guessed they come directly from Axl, not his mother. But back on topic, the new band is boring. Same old setlists, no new album on the horizon. I'd rather have a boring old band than a boring new band. Gee, I wonder what songs they'll play in Syndey. Axl Knows has a better chance of getting a date, than hearing Civil War, Estranged, Coma, or any other song that is not from the canned setlist.

Of course you would think that, every pro-new Guns thread I see has you trolling and hating on the new band. Why are you here?

And your insults are even less creative than the one you quoted, which was intended to be corny... you actually think you're witty or something. Don't quit your day job. :rofl-lol:

Chi Dem is prolly marginally stronger than Contraband but to my ears Slither is stronger than anything on Chi Dem.

It wasn't just your ears. Slither managed to win the Grammy for rock song of the year, and spent 8 weeks at #1 on the rock charts. Not to be out done, Fall to Pieces managed to spend 11 weeks at #1 on the rock charts.

Those songs clearly resonated and connected with the public in a way that nothing off of CD ever managed to.