Old GNR Would Have Gotten Boring

Axl Knows

I really liked the old band and wish they never broke up. They were one of my favorite bands. I can only imagine how awsome new albums from them would have been. I really enjoyed AFD and illusions. I loved the slash album too.

I think Vengeance is Mine by Alice Cooper with Slash is a good example of a song that sounds like I would imagine a GNR song would have been. Just imagine what that would have been like with Axl on vocals. Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCtu7A9WGKs

There were several songs on the Slash solo album that would have been really cool to have Axl on too. I really enjoyed the Slash solo album because it was a great mix cd that had a lot of different styled singers and does not get boring to me. I also think Fall to Pieces could have been cool with Axl on vocals.

Also, if Izzy was back then imagine how cool that would have been. Steven would be real cool to have back also. It would be more like AFD which I love. I think Duff's punk roots helped GNR in a big way too. I love the Blues that Slash brought to GNR and I would have hated to see him turn his back on that style if forced by Axl. I think Slash was right to not want to become the next NIN with Axl singing. Slash wanted GNR to be like 70s Aerosmith but harder. I can understand that. Axl just wanted a grander or larger sound in the Illusions and I could understand broadening the sound but to change to a NIN styled GNR was just too much for Slash and I can agree on that one. Although I did love the song Chinese Democracy I would much rather have my old guns back.

Now factor in what Axl sounded like on Sebastien Bach album Angel Down and I got to say Axl sounds much better in his old style than his new. He needs to return to his roots and forget this new direction he has taken with Chinese Democracy the album.

My evidence Back in the Saddle featuring Axl Rose and Sebastien Bach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u3jksRXBaI

Edited by rocker rockstar

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now factor in what Axl sounded like on Sebastien Bach album Angel Down and I got to say Axl sounds much better in his old style than his new. He needs to return to his roots and forget this new direction he has taken with Chinese Democracy the album.

My evidence Back in the Saddle featuring Axl Rose and Sebastien Bach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u3jksRXBaI

Disagree - my evidence is Better :P

To me the old style is awesome but the CD sound is even greater. It's apples and oranges really.

Saying this for the third time or so, but this thread is a absolutely lolsome :rofl-lol:

personally i like the new direction. i would take the riad vocals over jungle vocals any day.

thats probably 50% of what really makes up new gnrs appeal for me.

50% new axl

50% bucket

personally i like the new direction. i would take the riad vocals over jungle vocals any day.

thats probably 50% of what really makes up new gnrs appeal for me.

50% new axl

50% bucket

Will you still buy the album that the current (and hopefully permanent) line-up puts out? I know you're a huge fan of Buckethead, but will him not being in the band influence you on buying the current band's future albums?

Just curious.

Edited by HB3

I seriously doubt Slash would have been famous outside of maybe a somewhat famous 80's hair metal band without Axl there to organize it all.

Wow. Some of you people are crazy. :crazy:

We've seen what Guns is like with Axl in full control. An anti-publicity machine. Do you really think anyone would have ever heard of Guns N' Roses if Axl had been the dicatator that he is now back in the '80s?

Was Guns ever pro publicity then really? No, you had a massive interest based on an Earth shattering record. Axl has never been to the best of my knowledge the type to find people to interview him.

I made a typo there, and I apologize. I am saying Axl seems to be the organizer, the composer if you will and the other guys have always seemed to fill in the blanks. UYI would have been the same with or without Adler pretty much in overall arrangement.

Listen to the stuff Slash is doing, notice how it is almost great and epic yet it is missing something special, and not just Axl's voice.

I am just saying he did way more than snake dance and sing for the musical parts.

Going by the descriptions of the song writing process that I have read most of the music was written by Slash and Izzy, Axl would come along later and add lyrics. So it was a collaberative effort for the most part.

I do agree with what you say about what slash is doing but the same can be said for Axl's material lacking Slash and the old band? The fact is together there was a synergy that the can not hope to reproduce as individuals.

I have always read the opposite, that Axl would compose stuff, then the others would add and so on, a true collaboration.

I agree though, neither of them without Izzy would have a hope of capturing the lightening in the bottle they had. Right now would be a good time though, since the media seems to be scrambling and a growing number of people hate the crap that is out there now in pop culture.

We are at that point like in 1991 where the door is wide open for another Nirvana type revolution, just like people were ready for the rap thing in 2000 or so. Outside of a few bright spots, things need to change yet no one is stepping up.

You can argue back and forth but going by Slashs quote and interviews I've read with Izzy and some stuff Axl said in an old MTV interview where he describes the writing of WTTJ, most of the AFD music was apparently written by Slash and Izzy with Axl and the rest of the guys adding and chaning things. Axl also took on a kind of producer role where he OK's the final mixes as well as adding some embellishments such as the synth heard on Paradise City.

By the time UYI rolled round the band had clearly already become more fragmented. Novemeber Rain is clearly Axl's song and Coma is clearly a Slash song. Although the illusions also contained a lot of older songs and covers. I think the reason that some of the newer songs were not as good as the AFD material is that the song writing dynamic is already damaged probably because Steven was gone (either physically or metaphorically) and Izzy was already edging toward the door.

But just listent to Shost on Slash's new album he and Izzy still have that chemistry. I just hope they can get Steve Duff and of course Axl back too!

Yeah, I think I misunderstood or came off confusingly or whatever. I am just saying that they all contributed-it wasn't like 'yayyy, Slash is on his own now so he can really shine'. It would not be the same band without Axl in sound and so on regardless of who was singing.

I really want to see them reunite for just 1 album or even one song just out of curiosity as to what they would do.

Agreed sorry if I picked up you up wrong.

No prob man. I have always lurked here and the other 2 I know about, but guys like you make this forum the best.

I yearn for the old band, but realistically, I feel like people are in a black hole entertainment wise vs years ago. My generation (I am 24) has really been robbed IMHO.

I could not imagine getting up and reading about GnR in the paper, but Axl and Slash are the 2 guys I can really relate to.

That said I don't know or understand why they can't work together.

Always nice to meet a like minded individual.

I got nearly 10 years on you but I agree that the last 10-15 years for rock have been pretty spartan.

There have seen some really good bands in that time smashing pumpkins, Korn to name a few but nothing like swagger and exitement of GnR.

As to why the actual underlying reason they can;t work together who knows, I'm not even sure they know anymore?

Say what you will cock miesters about old versus new...Old band could sell out stadiums and would if they ever reunited... New band is good guys great muscians but they have zilch personality for replacing the "Most dangerous band in the world". Thank God for the overseas market and the music festivles. . The whole underpromotion of them as a band is boring. The anti media GNR is...boring. The shows are magnificent and great sounding but for the most part having no expose is boring. This whole topic has grown boring.

Lawl. You're a joke. The people who attend the concerts don't find it boring, and neither apparently do most of the 5 million who bought the album...

Look I bought the album and saw the nu band 3 times between 02 and 06. I bought the album and attended the shows because it was Axl nothing else. But I still refer the older material and dream of a reunion. I know of several people in a similar situation.

The music from ChI Dem ...ok interesting...experimental...over produced.. and really...ummm kinda boring too. Not a single song rivals the old band in any way. Your never gonna hear "Chinese Democracy" jamming thrugh the loud speakers at the ball games and your not gonna be hearing it on classic rock stations in ten years. I have yet to hear any club band play a Chinese Democracy song.. when they do they play classic GNR....twenty somethings playing mom and dads version of GNR!!!

Who cares? First off, the new songs aren't boring. The new songs are different stylistically. You're not going to hear most of the Use Your Illusion material "jamming through the loud speakers at the ball game" either, because it doesn't have the arena/anthemic rock quality the the Appetite material has. That doesn't mean it isn't as good. AFD was nice but GNR had to move on and test new waters. They couldn't just record AFD part 1/2/3/4 ad infinitum.

Well to my ear some of the songs are boring but regardless he does have a point in that I really can't see any of the Chi Dem tracks becoming classics I mean they are not geting any air time now? When you compare this to the number of classic tracks the original band produced its pretty stark contrast.

If noting else Axl knows maybe we can agree on one thing. We both love Axl and we both wanna hear him record. So I'm guesing that you are not particualarly happy that the last 15 years Axl has only released one album? That for me is prolly the most frustrating thing about he current situation, everything seems to happen in slow motion? As it is we were meant to have Chi Dem part II this year but its looking increasingly unlikely. I just wish Axl someone he can trust enogh to look after the business side while he concentrates on the music afte all that's where his genius clearly lies.

Guest Apollo

Just out of curiosity for the Slash-Lovers........why does Axl's album have to be one of the greatest albums of all time? Why does any album Axl put out have to be compared to one of the top 5 rock albums of all time? Why the double standard --- cuz I don't see you claiming the every Slash album, every Duff album and every Izzy album is a failure because they didn't sell 25 million copies or have 10 number one hits.

The old band split up. It was the fault of ALL the members of the band. Slash was at fault. Axl was at fault. Izzy was at fault. Adler was at fault. Sorum was at fault. Gilby was at fault. Maybe Duff wasn't as much to blame as the other guys. But none of you were "with" the band, so stop acting like YOU know the real reasons and what went on with the old guys. FUCK. They all went their own ways - they all are still creating music with the people THEY WANT to create music with.

It has been over a decade. Can we stop with the stupid ass Axl vs Slash battle in every topic. We all GET IT. Some of you love Slash and hate Axl. Some of you love Axl and hate Slash. OK, great. Move on.

Guest Apollo

the whole best reord of all time is pretty much media hype. all of GNR's records are of a high quality.

It's forum hype!!

Anytime somebody starts up a thread that praises either Axl or Slash - then the same old arguements come out.

And one of them, even in this thread, Axl gets bashed because CD didn't sell 10 million copies and you don't hear any songs off the album blasting at football games. So in the Slash Lover's camp, since Cd wasn't as good as Appetite - then it's a failure. It is just ridiculous logic.

The band chose to go their own way. And they are all putting out music now. It boggles my mind how much anger some of the people on this forum have towards slash or axl. If you are a GnR fan, then you should support both guys. And if Axl and Slash DONT want to record together now........

Bottom line. Axl and the new Guns will probably never be as big as GnR was during Appetite and Illusions. Slash and VR will probably never be as big as GnR was during Appetite and Illusions. So no need to continually bitch and whine about it.

the whole best reord of all time is pretty much media hype. all of GNR's records are of a high quality.

It's forum hype!!

Anytime somebody starts up a thread that praises either Axl or Slash - then the same old arguements come out.

And one of them, even in this thread, Axl gets bashed because CD didn't sell 10 million copies and you don't hear any songs off the album blasting at football games. So in the Slash Lover's camp, since Cd wasn't as good as Appetite - then it's a failure. It is just ridiculous logic.

The band chose to go their own way. And they are all putting out music now. It boggles my mind how much anger some of the people on this forum have towards slash or axl. If you are a GnR fan, then you should support both guys. And if Axl and Slash DONT want to record together now........

Bottom line. Axl and the new Guns will probably never be as big as GnR was during Appetite and Illusions. Slash and VR will probably never be as big as GnR was during Appetite and Illusions. So no need to continually bitch and whine about it.

It's forum hype!!