So knowing the type of personality DJ has..

tippin

Wouldn't you think that when he signed on, he would've stipulated that there would have to be recording involved? I mean, the guy is used to having 50 different things going on at once, seems to me that he wouldn't have just signed on as a stage musician. What do you guys think?

When I met him at the o2 in London he said he plans to stay around to record a new album so hopefully that will happen within the next few years. He seems to be loving playing for GnR so I can't see him changing his mind at the moment.

This current band is capable of huge things..

as were all the others

Musically, I agree, but commercially speaking, this is the best lineup since UYI. Lets face it, the industrial style that GNR were leaning towards on CD came and went years ago..Don't get me wrong, I love CD, but it's not anywhere close to the more classic GNR sound. Now I'm not saying that they should go for their old sound, but I am saying that DJ fits musically and commercially far better than Finck and Bucket.

Please.

Buckethead was prolific in a way that DJ can only dream of, and he couldn't get Axl to release an album.

There is a vault of material that has yet to be released. There is no way the record company is giving Axl money to record a new album from scratch when there is so much material already recorded and paid for. Especially after the stunt he pulled by refusing to promote the last album, which cost the company big money in lost potential album sales.

It would be nice for the new band to record an album, and I am sure DJ really believes they will. As with most things in life though, economic reality will get in the way of the ideal scenario and rear its ugly head.

Unless Axl is feeling generous and wants to fund recording out of his own pocket, the best we can hope for it another album of re-recorded solos.

Don't think he would only sign up for GN'R if it included recording an album. He can still do Sixx:A.M. (and they have an upcoming album in March)

But I have a feeling they WILL do something in studio when this tour is over. Don't know why, I just have a feeling they will. Really hope so, this is the chance to show the world GN'R still is a serious band.

DJ will probably tour with Sixx:A.M. for the new record though, don't you think? He said everything depends on Guns N' Roses and Mötley Crüe, but that they somehow probably will tour it :) Looking forward to that! I bet he'll manage that and/if gnr are going to do something in studio. It's like he's time for everything.

Please.

Buckethead was prolific in a way that DJ can only dream of

I disagree. Most fans never really "got" Bucket.

DJ is really a fan favorite as we've seen from this tour.

Sure Bucket has his own fan base but we are talking about Guns N Roses here.

Exactly. Thinking about the overall picture, this band is tighter than any of the past lineups.

Please.

Buckethead was prolific in a way that DJ can only dream of, and he couldn't get Axl to release an album.

There is a vault of material that has yet to be released. There is no way the record company is giving Axl money to record a new album from scratch when there is so much material already recorded and paid for. Especially after the stunt he pulled by refusing to promote the last album, which cost the company big money in lost potential album sales.

It would be nice for the new band to record an album, and I am sure DJ really believes they will. As with most things in life though, economic reality will get in the way of the ideal scenario and rear its ugly head.

Unless Axl is feeling generous and wants to fund recording out of his own pocket, the best we can hope for it another album of re-recorded solos.

Sure, because you are right dead center in GNR business and know what is going on :rolleyes:

I cannot imagine DJ sitting on his ass doing nothing for several years.

He has enough ambition for the whole band and it would be a mistake for him to accept to be part of another Chinese Democracy debacle.

Him and Axl seem to love each other : I really do hope that Axl has enough confidence in him to at least give it a try !

I have to think that Dj's writing/producing skills had something to do with Axl wanting him.

You have to wonder though exactly what kind of material Axl wants to focus on in future though. Clearly DJ has a pretty obvious "classic rock" vibe to his playing (certainly from the live stuff with Guns I've heard) so it may be that Axl wants to go in a more retro direction for future material. Clearly in the past with Finck and Buckethead, although they could play the old Guns material, they had more of an experimental nature to their playing which complimented the Chinese Democracy era material.

Wouldn't you think that when he signed on, he would've stipulated that there would have to be recording involved? I mean, the guy is used to having 50 different things going on at once, seems to me that he wouldn't have just signed on as a stage musician. What do you guys think?

I don't think Dj was in any bargaining position making any demands like recording with GNR at that time. Face it, he was a rather globally unknown guitarist playing in Sixx A.M. before he joined GNR. GNR going into the studio and recording is one man's decision only in the end.....(hint: he's the lead singer of GNR).

I'm sure he signed on knowing damn well he is a silent employee with no say whatsoever. Kind of hard to respect any of these guys if you ask me.

I cannot imagine DJ sitting on his ass doing nothing for several years.

Personally, I wouldn't mind him leaving after this tour. Not impressed by him at all.

Edited by Uncle Buck

I'm sure he signed on knowing damn well he is a silent employee with no say whatsoever. Kind of hard to respect any of these guys if you ask me.

Well, people have stated that DJ said he to them he will hopefully work on a new album with GN'R, he also stated that himself. I think they do have a say in the band, but Axl has the final say. How's it hard to respect Stinson, and Bumblefoot, and Pitman, who have been with Axl through all these years and won't give up on the current band.

I don't think Dj was in any bargaining position making any demands like recording with GNR at that time. Face it, he was a rather globally unknown guitarist playing in Sixx A.M. before he joined GNR. GNR going into the studio and recording is one man's decision only in the end.....(hint: he's the lead singer of GNR).

And he'll stay globally unknown unless they get in the studio and record an album. I'm not saying he was in any kind of "bargaining position", I'm saying that based on his past, when given the offer to join GNR, it would fit his past history to want to be more than a touring musician. Don't you agree? I mean, at the end of the day, he still had the final say so on whether he joined or not.

How's it hard to respect Stinson, and Bumblefoot, and Pitman, who have been with Axl through all these years and won't give up on the current band.

lol.

Are you serious? You just answered your own question. They've spent nearly a decade and a half being voiceless pawns. They're employees under contract. Their entire 15 yr resume with this band consists of 14 tracks that mostly blow and multiple tours where they perform cover songs of another band. I don't think it's a matter of them not giving up, I think it's a matter of them having nothing more to do with themselves.

Edited by Uncle Buck

How's it hard to respect Stinson, and Bumblefoot, and Pitman, who have been with Axl through all these years and won't give up on the current band.

lol.

Are you serious? You just answered your own question. They've spent nearly a decade and a half being voiceless pawns. They're employees under contract. They're entire 15 yr resume with this band consists of 14 tracks that mostly blow and multiple tours where they perform cover songs of another band. I don't think it's a matter of them not giving up, I think it's a matter of them having nothing more to do with themselves.

Voiceless pawns? Chinese Democracy was writing by mostly everybody involved, Axl only wrote one song alone. These guys are a band, don't you realize that they are all getting along on stage and having a fun time. You can't be forced to have fun. Tommy hasn't stuck around the last 12 years and just sat in the background and did whatever Axl told him to do. The only revolving door is the guitarist, moslty lead. First it was Buckethead, than Finck, now it's DJ.

Stinson and Pitman have been with Axl for 12 years, Fortus for 8, Bumblefoot for 6. If they did'nt have any say, I'm sure they would leave, it's a rock band, not a job.