So knowing the type of personality DJ has..

tippin

Look guys and gals its been stated numerous times by members and former members post 1997 that Axl is far more into the synergy of all involved getting their input on the songs. So while he does retain final say, there is a fairly democratic song making process. Tommy has said it, Josh Freese said it.

Second point, Knowing DJ's past, Axl knew what he was getting. I have little doubt it was an intentional move as the main problem with Bucket and Robin's contributions were their lack of crossover appeal to more mainstream audiences. Ask the average person if they own one Buckethead album. You know the answer even though I think he's brilliant, he's tough for many to digest. I think Axl may want some more traditional sounding stuff after all the CD-era music is released. JMO.

I feel as though DJ is going to stick around for quite a while. The audiences love him, Axl and the band get on really well with him and DJ seems to be having an awsome time being in GN'R.

Personally I doubt he signed on the previso of new music, at the end of the day Guns is Axl's baby. If Axl doesn't want to write he wont. However, I feel the fact that DJ helped write two great albums in the form of Saints Of Los Angeles and The Heroin Diaries greatly contributed in him being picked for Guns. I feel as though Axl has a plan for the future regarding new music and thought that DJ could help realise that vision.

As others have said though, writing and releasing new music isn't that simple. The record company may insist that the other Chinese era stuff get put out first. In which case it will be quite a while before any stuff written from scratch appears.

As far as DJ or anyone else not liking 'sitting around' for a few years I think all of the current lineup know how Guns/Axl rolls now ie still a lot of old songs played, new material not released year in year out and some lengthy downtime now and then. They have other projects as well. The thing with Bucket leaving was that possibly he thought that theyd be emphasis on new songs live and that Chinese wouldn't take that long to make. I guess he wasn't to know. Now though I think its clear how nu GN'R rolls. The thing is though I'd love some new material written from scratch as live, this is the best GN'R lineup since before the 'split'.