The Dark Knight Rises

axl_on_drums

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, amateur film critics just might be the most annoying people in the world

We're just debating film. If you think you have a better opinion, then pull it out of your ass and lets hear it.

K, didn't think I would have the time for this but here I am. I'm only gunna touch on the things I really disagree with.

I think you're forgetting that this is Christopher Nolan's own vision and adaptation of Batman, so all the talk of plot lines being "handled wrong" just sounds silly. I could be wrong but it seems to imply you expected the films to honor the comics more, which kind of defeats the purpose of re-visioning a previously established story. The idea behind these movies, at least how I've interpreted them, is to make the story of a rich man who dedicates his life to fighting crime in a bat suit as believable as possible, even when going up against cartoony characters like The Joker and Two Face.

You complained that Two Face didn't get enough time, and suggested that he could have been the main villain for TDKR. I'll admit I was sad to see him killed off so fast, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that a whole movie of Two Face would just be too much for this story. I don't only think the Harvey Dent/Two Face character (and how he crossed paths with joker) was handled well, I think it was handled beautifully. That scene with Harvey in the hospital bed right before joker blows the place up is one of the best out of the two films imo. Lets face it, an unstable man with half of his skin burned off flipping coins to decide people's fate would only last so long in a world like this, for Nolan to maintain the realistic nature of these films I think it only makes sense for Two Face to be short lived. Initially, it did seem rushed, but going back and watching the movies again I think it fits. A full movie of Two Face would just be campy imo.

Cillian Murphy did a better job as Scarecrow than Ledger did as Joker? Hmm. I'd say he did a better job of making you hate his character as a villain, but I don't think he played his role any better than Ledger played his. When I found out Ledger was playing Joker I was skeptical as fuck, but he brought that character to life in a way I never could have imagined, he almost made you believe he himself was criminally insane. Murphy was just a smart ass psychologist with some drugs, and he played the role well, but it just felt average in comparison to Ledger's joker. That will go down as one of the great villain role's in film history, and rightfully so.

I think people like to be hard on The Dark Knight because of all the hype surrounding it at its release, but I really believe it lived up to it and then some. I agree that Batman Begins doesn't get it's props, and is somewhat overshadowed by TDK, but to be fair its just a more slow paced movie that's much easier for Batman fanatics like myself to enjoy than a casual movie-goer. I remember watching Begins with my girlfriend and younger brother, and while I thought it was amazing, they we're pretty bored. The same people were blown away by TDK, and maybe the hype and pop culture phenomenon surrounding it had something to do with setting them up for that, but I don't think that should discredit the film itself. It really was a great movie.

Edited by sweetness

Nolan fans are like Tool/Radiohead fans.

Even if the TDKR script is shit - the score, wardrobe, and production values will be tops. Sometimes, Nolan reaches too far into self-serious territory, and makes his films into self-satirizing epics. But when he restrains himself - he can accrete good shit like Batman Begins. I dig it because of the origin story, and the acting. The Dark Knight crammed too much into a flick. The pace was exhaustive, and the point was too long-winded. Nolan apologists will say "that was the intent". I disagree. Point in case: no one ever talks about Two Face's coda. Or the emotional aspect of being seduced into crime. And it's not because of being overshadowed by Ledger's acting. It was because the film was simply TOO LONG. We had TWO bookends to the story. We should have had ONE to seal TDK. With BB - ask anyone. There's a definitive emotional core. Fear. With TDK - it had two strong key points to make, and only succeeded at one. It's a shame, too. I think Two Face's story could have been really provocative.

Nolan fans are like Tool/Radiohead fans.

Even if the TDKR script is shit - the score, wardrobe, and production values will be tops. Sometimes, Nolan reaches too far into self-serious territory, and makes his films into self-satirizing epics. But when he restrains himself - he can accrete good shit like Batman Begins. I dig it because of the origin story, and the acting. The Dark Knight crammed too much into a flick. The pace was exhaustive, and the point was too long-winded. Nolan apologists will say "that was the intent". I disagree. Point in case: no one ever talks about Two Face's coda. Or the emotional aspect of being seduced into crime. And it's not because of being overshadowed by Ledger's acting. It was because the film was simply TOO LONG. We had TWO bookends to the story. We should have had ONE to seal TDK. With BB - ask anyone. There's a definitive emotional core. Fear. With TDK - it had two strong key points to make, and only succeeded at one. It's a shame, too. I think Two Face's story could have been really provocative.

This.

• 2 weeks later...

i got a feeling batman is going to die in this movie

i reckon he will sacrifice himself to same Gotham city

How Christ like.

I dont think he will die.

but it may be a close call, and he retires. Wait a few years and do one based on Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns...

That is what might happen. It would be a good ending, rather him dying.

im gonna stick by my guns and say he dies ... i can imagine a situation where he has to die to kill bane

also didn't Nolan say this is the last movie?

It is the last one, but still dont think he will die. They will go out with a bang though!

2 things though, Batman don't kill, and I doubt WB or DC would let the series end with his death.

Is it really hard to underhand Band? I heard it was difficult in the prologue but I understood him in the trailer.

Warner Brothers will leave Batman alone for now. They are going to try to get Superman rolling, I am not a fan of Synder but if Nolan and Goyer are involved it should be good. I loved their original idea to turn Superman into a trilogy starting with his origins and ending with the destruction of the sun. But I guess Nolan and Goyer had better ideas. DC doesn't have a lot of superheroes to market as films like Marvel. Other than Batman, I don't see how they can cash in. Superman is only relatable if he is going to die, Wonder Woman probably won't translate well in the 21st Century. Maybe if handled by the right people unlike The Green Lantern.

Watchmen is one of the most underrate comic book films of all time.

Is it really hard to underhand Band? I heard it was difficult in the prologue but I understood him in the trailer.

Warner Brothers will leave Batman alone for now. They are going to try to get Superman rolling, I am not a fan of Synder but if Nolan and Goyer are involved it should be good. I loved their original idea to turn Superman into a trilogy starting with his origins and ending with the destruction of the sun. But I guess Nolan and Goyer had better ideas. DC doesn't have a lot of superheroes to market as films like Marvel. Other than Batman, I don't see how they can cash in. Superman is only relatable if he is going to die, Wonder Woman probably won't translate well in the 21st Century. Maybe if handled by the right people unlike The Green Lantern.

I am looking forward to The Man Of Steel. I think it will be done better this time. I hope they can continue the Superman story after this next one. I thought Watchmen was done very well. I need that movie in Blu Ray.

I just hope they suspend disbelief a bit for Superman. They are doing a Superman that will make sense in today's world since Superman's concept is dated. You can see how they had trouble selling it in Superman Returns. Origin stories tend to be less favorable to critics. It is why sequels in these series seem to do better becausr the slow origin story is done with but Superman's is by far the most beloved.

I am looking forward to The Man Of Steel. I think it will be done better this time. I hope they can continue the Superman story after this next one. I thought Watchmen was done very well. I need that movie in Blu Ray.

I loved Watchmen, but I'm not that excited for Superman.

In my opinion, Snyder is the only thing really making me "interesting" in The Man Of Steel. :shrugs:

DC doesn't have a lot of superheroes to market as films like Marvel. Other than Batman, I don't see how they can cash in. Superman is only relatable if he is going to die, Wonder Woman probably won't translate well in the 21st Century. Maybe if handled by the right people unlike The Green Lantern.

But there's a ton of cool stories they could do with their Vertigo line, like Sandman or 100 bullets

Has anyone watched the Batman: Year One film?

Thought it was great. Incredibly faithful to the book.

First and foremost it's a James Gordon story. The ever-awesome Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) does his voice and really delivers.

But the biggest surprise is Benjamin McKenzie (the dumbass rebel from The O.C.) who does the most perfect Batman voice.