The Dark Knight Rises

axl_on_drums

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know it was McKenzie before you watched?

I didn't, and couldn't believe it when I went googling afterwards.

I thought he was great. Suited the younger age of the character.

Too wooden for me, very stiff. I watched it with some friends and every time Bruce/Batman would speak they would cringe.

I thought someone like Will Friedle would have pulled off the younger version better.

I did see the trailer for it on a previous dvd so I knew it was McKenzie ahead of time. I didn't think I was gonna hate his performance that much though.

• 4 months later...

I am really tired of super hero movies. There's no originality to it. It's the same crap year after year after year.

No. With this batman franchise it is on a whole different level. It is totally different from your cheesy special effects and one punch liners. It has a good story behind it. Every movie changes from the comics, but Nolan used a lot of different pieces from the comics and put it together brilliantly!

I am really tired of super hero movies. There's no originality to it. It's the same crap year after year after year.

No. With this batman franchise it is on a whole different level. It is totally different from your cheesy special effects and one punch liners. It has a good story behind it. Every movie changes from the comics, but Nolan used a lot of different pieces from the comics and put it together brilliantly!

It's just my opinion.

I saw the other two Nolan made and I wasn't impressed.

It's just my opinion.

The new Spiderman movie looks tight! What about The Avengers? I haven't seen it because I dislike Robert Downey.

It's just my opinion.

The new Spiderman movie looks tight! What about The Avengers? I haven't seen it because I dislike Robert Downey.

Not interested.

I just don't find superheros interesting. There's nothing unique, original, or mysterious about them. They are essentially the most overused, unimaginative, uncreative idea for a movie and it's a cop out IMO. I know Nolan can make good films. I really appreciated Inception because unlike a superhero movie, it was imaginative and it was creative.

I think movies aren't as good as they used to be.

It's just my opinion.

Not interested.

I just don't find superheros interesting. There's nothing unique, original, or mysterious about them. They are essentially the most overused, unimaginative, uncreative idea for a movie and it's a cop out IMO. I know Nolan can make good films. I really appreciated Inception because unlike a superhero movie, it was imaginative and it was creative.

Inception was a great film, love it! Let me ask you, limbo or not at the end? I say no, reality.

It's just my opinion.

Not interested.

Inception was a great film, love it! Let me ask you, limbo or not at the end? I say no, reality.

Reality.

I read an article about it somewhere and the kids were wearing different clothes and the ring on DiCaprio's finger was gone (or there, it's been awhile) which symbolized closure.

It's just my opinion.

Not interested.

Reality.

I read an article about it somewhere and the kids were wearing different clothes and the ring on DiCaprio's finger was gone (or there, it's been awhile) which symbolized closure.

Good call!

• 1 month later...

A film critic is getting death threats for slamming it.

I can't post the whole story (it quotes the Letterman incident)..

Marshall Fine, the critic from Hollywood was the first to published a negative review of Christopher Nolan’s film on Rotten Tomatoes, causing him to receive death threats from rabid fans.

At the time of publishing Fine’s site is currently down, most likely from an influx of traffic to his review—the URL indicates the headline is “The Dark Knight Rises Grandiose Not Grand—though it could be from Batman’s little hackers who vowed to disrupt service. Call them Anonymous, with capes. The capsule of Fine’s review, however, is still available on Rotten Tomatoes and reads: “At times, the action is so massive and thunderously clunky that I might as well have been watching one of the Transformers movies.” And once you bring Michael Bay into the mix the mud slinging begins in earnest. While Total Film, the Hollywood Reporter, and Variety, have applauded the film, Fine is not alone in his critiques; Indiewire gave out a middling B grade, calling the film “a spectacular noir epic that's equal parts murky, bloated, flashy and triumphantly cinematic.”

While it’s easy to dismiss this as the reaction of a few comic nerds, these types of responses are precisely what gives internet film criticism and discussion a bad name: fanatical fans anonymously trolling behind screen names, not engaging in informed discussion or debate. It is cinephilia over cinema, fandom over criticism. Sure, at the end of the day we’re only talking about movies, but that doesn’t mean we can’t approach the subject with thought and decorum. We don’t all have to agree and get along, but if the deepest analysis you can muster is empty vitriolic rage you might want to get a life.

letterman's joke was a rift on the fact that that's been a heavily rumoured ending for a while, but it's also been largely shot down as being untrue, so take that as you will. (i don't want to get specific about what he said as not to ruin it for people who don't know, but for those who might have thought he ruined it for them, maybe he didn't after all. he might have just been teasing.)

anyway, the consensus so far seems to be really strong, but not *quite* as strong as TDK. Ebert gave it 3/4 and he gave the other two 4/4. that one's got me worried a bit because i agreed with him to a tee on his reviews for the other two. so far it's at 87% on RT and TDK had 94% i think.

having said that the average review rating is 8.6/10 which is pretty great.

i'm still super psyched to see it.