The Gear Thread

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Found a Marshall SC20c locally for 800 bucks, $800 for a JCM800.

:wow:

What do you think? @James Bond  @SoundOfAGun

How much do they cost brand new over there? Not seen much about the SC20, if they have nailed the tone of its big brother then might be worth a go, is 20 watts loud enough to keep up with your drummer?

Killer deal! I find the used market is starting to relax a little bit on the JCM 800s. There was quite a spike in price for a while. People are backing away from the loud amps again. I'd love to find an original.

I also might pick up the SC20 head at some point if the price is right. It sucks that they're like $1799 new on the Canadian market but resale seems to shit the bed a little bit for them. There are deals to be had, that's for sure. The combo is pretty cool too. I have no qualms about it being a 10 inch speaker outside of the fact that the Jubilee and JTM combos have a 12 inch so why they decided the mini Super Leads and 800 combos get the 10 inch is beyond me - for the same price no less. I was getting the DSL crunch channel pretty close to the same voicing when I tried them out together in store a while back that the DSL just made more sense as a combo.

However, the head definitely has my eye. Basically a lunch box JCM 800. The lunch box DSL lacks the crunch channel that is easily the best part of the combo.

• Like 1

I can’t believe I have an actual 80s JCM800. I know the 4211 isn’t as alluring as a 2203/2204 or those combo variants but I don’t give a fuck. 

I just plugged it in and played at very low volume and fuck yeah, that lead channel. That’s the Marshall sound right there. Don’t give a fuck if it has diodes. So does the Jubilee. Has a burning smell but I think it’s just dust since I don’t think this things been played much in 20- years.

I know the 4211 has more gain than the 2203/2204, but less than the Jubilee and JCM900s, but it is plenty high gain for me.

At 100 watts and as a 212, this is more power than I’ll ever need. I dig my Orange, but there’s only one Marshall sound.

I am so stoked. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

Killer deal! I find the used market is starting to relax a little bit on the JCM 800s. There was quite a spike in price for a while. People are backing away from the loud amps again. I'd love to find an original.

I also might pick up the SC20 head at some point if the price is right. It sucks that they're like $1799 new on the Canadian market but resale seems to shit the bed a little bit for them. There are deals to be had, that's for sure. The combo is pretty cool too. I have no qualms about it being a 10 inch speaker outside of the fact that the Jubilee and JTM combos have a 12 inch so why they decided the mini Super Leads and 800 combos get the 10 inch is beyond me - for the same price no less. I was getting the DSL crunch channel pretty close to the same voicing when I tried them out together in store a while back that the DSL just made more sense as a combo.

However, the head definitely has my eye. Basically a lunch box JCM 800. The lunch box DSL lacks the crunch channel that is easily the best part of the combo.

DSLs are always looked down on but the 40C is a quality amp. I used to love mine, sold it as I never used it once I got an HX Stomp. I was a red channel man, here is a clip I recorded with just a 57 on it: 
https://on.soundcloud.com/giRh6

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

DSLs are always looked down on but the 40C is a quality amp. I used to love mine, sold it as I never used it once I got an HX Stomp. I was a red channel man, here is a clip I recorded with just a 57 on it: 
https://on.soundcloud.com/giRh6

Clip kicks ass. Love my Helix, and always found the Marshalls to be really good. The more recent 2203 simulation rocks

5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Clip kicks ass. Love my Helix, and always found the Marshalls to be really good. The more recent 2203 simulation rocks

I love mine, always struggle to get past the placater model myself! 

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Fuck me though, nothing compares to the real deal. This JCM 800 smokes

Wish I had one, just don't play enough to justify it. Working on updating my studio set up so that will be changing soon though.

Bought myself a Fender Mustang a little while ago to avoid being a nuisance to my neighbours with my Marshalls :lol:

Turns out it's a very decent practice amp! I enjoy the Bluetooth mode and recording capability. Very easy to record ok-sounding demos in a jiffy with this. I used it to warm up for a few hours at our last gig a month ago, I enjoy getting to tune out background noise and getting to practice with music being the only thing going in my ears.

Here's a couple clips, taken straight from the little jack amp:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Fuck me though, nothing compares to the real deal. This JCM 800 smokes

and it never will be. my most wanted piece of gear though is the Amp X right now, still not released though. a combination of nano tubes and digital in what seems an ingenious way from a great guitar player and inventor. really hope it will take off and Blackstar won't steal the maker's idea again.

I don't think I could ever commit to a modeler for my base amp tone. Not to say there aren't a plethora of amazing options that sound outstanding these days, but I still like most of the work to come from the guitar plugged straight into an amp that's sitting in front of me (or behind me). For gigs, a good master volume taper goes a long way, and I feel like I've got that with the DSL40CR. Sounds great at respectable volumes. The current crop of Studio Classics are much the same.

On top of that - 1x12 is where it's at for me currently. I find it funny when I see people at small gigs lug along big cabs or heavy speakers for their modelling rig. I'm like, kind of defeating the purpose of portability, no? To each their own of course. I've just never felt the need to get into patches where one sim sounds like a Marshall, the next sounds like a Mesa, and here's a Fender clean, but then I want an EVH distortion. I could never be bothered. Just give me a good Marshall-style crunch as my base tone to build on.

I like my minimalist pedal set-up currently too, but I wouldn't oppose an HX Stomp or Pod Go or whatever at some point. I don't see me ever getting back into a full board of all kinds of pedals, but I've been picking up more covers gigs so to have something that can get me a little bit of this and a little bit of that for effects would be great.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I don't think I could ever commit to a modeler for my base amp tone. Not to say there aren't a plethora of amazing options that sound outstanding these days, but I still like most of the work to come from the guitar plugged straight into an amp that's sitting in front of me (or behind me). For gigs, a good master volume taper goes a long way, and I feel like I've got that with the DSL40CR. Sounds great at respectable volumes. The current crop of Studio Classics are much the same.

On top of that - 1x12 is where it's at for me currently. I find it funny when I see people at small gigs lug along big cabs or heavy speakers for their modelling rig. I'm like, kind of defeating the purpose of portability, no? To each their own of course. I've just never felt the need to get into patches where one sim sounds like a Marshall, the next sounds like a Mesa, and here's a Fender clean, but then I want an EVH distortion. I could never be bothered. Just give me a good Marshall-style crunch as my base tone to build on.

I like my minimalist pedal set-up currently too, but I wouldn't oppose an HX Stomp or Pod Go or whatever at some point. I don't see me ever getting back into a full board of all kinds of pedals, but I've been picking up more covers gigs so to have something that can get me a little bit of this and a little bit of that for effects would be great.

I love modelers and went through an all- digital phase in like 2018-2019. Used only the Helix at shows and for all my playing. It honestly worked great. Truth be told, though, amps are just COOL! You get a very different feel playing through an amp pushing air compared to a modeler. To me, they are both just tools that offer different experiences. When I want to play in a convenient setting at home with acceptable volumes, or if I want to record, nothing beats the Helix. It is easy to use, has every sound you could imagine, and sounds great! I still love amplifiers, and am thrilled to have some kick- ass ones, too. The Helix has also been amazing as an effects board during shows. Pedals are fun, too, but the Helix is a lot more convenient. 

The JCM 800 is LOUD. I had the volume practically on zero at home and it took off like a jet. It is certainly overkill for what I need, but I love it. Maybe I will get an attenuator. The master volume is pretty good, though. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I love modelers and went through an all- digital phase in like 2018-2019. Used only the Helix at shows and for all my playing. It honestly worked great. Truth be told, though, amps are just COOL! You get a very different feel playing through an amp pushing air compared to a modeler. To me, they are both just tools that offer different experiences. When I want to play in a convenient setting at home with acceptable volumes, or if I want to record, nothing beats the Helix. It is easy to use, has every sound you could imagine, and sounds great! I still love amplifiers, and am thrilled to have some kick- ass ones, too. The Helix has also been amazing as an effects board during shows. Pedals are fun, too, but the Helix is a lot more convenient. 

The JCM 800 is LOUD. I had the volume practically on zero at home and it took off like a jet. It is certainly overkill for what I need, but I love it. Maybe I will get an attenuator. The master volume is pretty good, though. 

I'm all for modelers as a grab and go, portable solution for small gigs. Sometimes even those are just too elaborate for my needs. Choice paralysis for sure. I'd never end up using half of a Kemper or Helix or whatever once I found an amp sound I like. I think everything has its place these days though. I still use a Marshall MG15 for quiet practice and honestly, it sounds perfectly fine. I have finally found peace with just accepting gear for what it is. My GAS is lesser these days.

You know. Until the next thing comes along.

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

I'm all for modelers as a grab and go, portable solution for small gigs. Sometimes even those are just too elaborate for my needs. Choice paralysis for sure. I'd never end up using half of a Kemper or Helix or whatever once I found an amp sound I like. I think everything has its place these days though. I still use a Marshall MG15 for quiet practice and honestly, it sounds perfectly fine. I have finally found peace with just accepting gear for what it is. My GAS is lesser these days.

You know. Until the next thing comes along.

I mainly use the Marshalls in the Helix, anyways :lol:

I used to have a 30- watt MG in college. Wish I still had that little amp. Those get a lot of shit, but I thought it sounded pretty good for what it was. When you play at lower volumes with a lot of gain, it all sounds kind of similar. When you crank it and how the frequencies react with other instruments and drums are a different story, though. 

• Like 1

I think it's good that you can connect a real amp to a helix./kemper/something with processing capabilities for when you need it, for what an amp can't provide.

I like both real amps and modelers and it's only going to get better for what there is room to grow so digital is going to be incredible and amps are always going to be the cool shit, the real deal.

• Like 1

I've been converted permanently to the Boss OD-3. I know the SD-1 is a classic and dirt cheap, but the OD-3 is magical. Sounds much the same but more control over the mid-hump. Sleeper pedal for sure. Great on its own or as a boost.

46 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I've been converted permanently to the Boss OD-3. I know the SD-1 is a classic and dirt cheap, but the OD-3 is magical. Sounds much the same but more control over the mid-hump. Sleeper pedal for sure. Great on its own or as a boost.

I almost bought the OD3 but it was twice the cost of the SD1 so I didn’t lol. 

I still have my old, trusty Fulldrive 2 and Alexander Jubilee (although I have to find that one), and I’ll have to test those too

• Like 1

I'm currently using the EHX Walking on the Moon (rebadged Electric Mistress - same internals as the modern versions). Definitely the "chorus" sound I've always been looking for.

EHX makes some great stuff for cheap.

• Like 1