Between The Buried and Me

bt88

So at this point either you dig these guys or you dont, very little room in between. If you've never heard of them theyre a prog metal band known for long songs that tend to jump around genres. Their musicianship is off the charts. Im of the belief that from a pure musical standpoint, they're the most talented and accomplished band in music. No one is churning out complex releases at the speed they do.

Here's a new song from their forthcoming EP. Try not to be blown away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrWh0XHNFBk

So at this point either you dig these guys or you dont, very little room in between. If you've never heard of them theyre a prog metal band known for long songs that tend to jump around genres. Their musicianship is off the charts. Im of the belief that from a pure musical standpoint, they're the most talented and accomplished band in music. No one is churning out complex releases at the speed they do.

Here's a new song from their forthcoming EP. Try not to be blown away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrWh0XHNFBk

I like the selkies solo, cant really sit through the constant screaming of the singer though.

Screaming is either something you love or you hate, if you can get past it to the music, eventually you just start to actually enjoy it.

On the other hand, I love this fucking band. I've seen them twice and they put on a damn good show, great fun to be in the crowd. The Great Misdirect was a bit of a disappointment, but the new EP sounds great so far. They're getting back some of their heaviness while still keeping the experimental edge.

Actually, if you guys don't like the screaming in this band, check out the vocalists solo album - he sings on the whole thing (save 2 songs) and plays all the instruments, and it's a really good album. The name of it is "Pulse" by Thomas Giles if you want to have a listen.

Actually, if you guys don't like the screaming in this band, check out the vocalists solo album - he sings on the whole thing (save 2 songs) and plays all the instruments, and it's a really good album. The name of it is "Pulse" by Thomas Giles if you want to have a listen.

Yea, that album is great. It sounds like a heavy Radiohead to me.

Played a show with their bass player last september, really nice guy and INSANE bass player.

On the whole screaming thing; I definitely use to hate ALL screaming music but bands like BTBAM helped me appreciate it more and now its something i've fallen in love with, that said Tommy Rogers is probably one of the least talented vocalists in metal. I really don't like his screaming since Colors, its soooo monotonous, I swear to god he screams at the exact same pitch throughout The Great Misdirect and it gets reallly boring. At least on their earlier albums he had more of a range with highs and lows but now all he does is lows, fuckin lame.

There's plenty of things I love and hate about this band but you wont see a tighter live show, these guy's certainly kill it on the stage

Edited by sweetness

Yeah, his vocals were the shit on Alaska. High black metal-esque screams, really low growls, he was really on. I don't know why he stopped, he can still do it, he guested on an Intensus song and he sounded unhinged, going high, low. Damn, now I want to listen to Alaska.

Yeah Alaska is definitely my favorite, vocally and instrumentally its just brilliant, I love when a band pays good attention to detail. For those that don't dig the vocals I'd recommend checking out the instrumental version of Alaska, its just as mind blowing. Their self titled has a few great songs, his voice is kind of weird at times on that album... but i think i dig it more than anything else he's done.

I like the music a lot. But the screaming makes it unlistenable for me...

Same. Except I don't like the music either.

That really fast music...I don't know, the speed just kind of washes everything else out and it all just sounds really homogenized and weaker than I think is intended.

As for the singing, I find it kind of silly to say if you can listen past it. You are not supposed to want to listen past the singer. Technically I'd call what he's doing yelling, not screaming. Screaming is what I think guys like Baz and Axl do.

Just my 2 cents and all that. If you dig 'em that's cool. We all like different things.

Edited by KBear

That really fast music...I don't know, the speed just kind of washes everything else out and it all just sounds really homogenized and weaker than I think is intended.

As for the singing, I find it kind of silly to say if you can listen past it. You are not supposed to want to listen past the singer. Technically I'd call what he's doing yelling, not screaming. Screaming is what I think guys like Baz and Axl do.

Just my 2 cents and all that. If you dig 'em that's cool. We all like different things.

The "if you can listen past it" was mainly for people who dont like metal. If you do listen to metal a lot then screaming isnt an issue for you. My hope was that the music and his singing would help keep people interested.

Vocals are always the biggest obstacle for people getting into metal. I just feel like sometimes what the musicians are doing is good enough for people who dont traditionally enjoy screaming to get something out of it.

The "if you can listen past it" was mainly for people who dont like metal. If you do listen to metal a lot then screaming isnt an issue for you. My hope was that the music and his singing would help keep people interested.

Vocals are always the biggest obstacle for people getting into metal. I just feel like sometimes what the musicians are doing is good enough for people who dont traditionally enjoy screaming to get something out of it.

You put it better than I could have. When I first listened to screaming music I listened just for the instrumentation, but I slowly grew adjusted to the vocal style and actually started to enjoy it. Now I don't have to listen past the vocals because I like that style now. It's just that when you first hear some guy bellowing on a track, your first reaction is a bit of a "what the fuck is this shit, man" and you might turn it off before giving it a chance.