How many times have you seen GN'R

2x4

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, when did it become "Axl's band"? After Steven was sacked? After Izzy left? After Gilby was sacked? After Slash left? After Matt was sacked? After Duff left?

This whole "Axl's band" thing is so fucking lame.

AC/DC are still AC/DC

Metallica are still Metallica

Sepultura are still Sepultura

Why are Guns N' Roses now Axl's Band?

Axl is the only one left and none of the people in his band are anything more than simple hired hands, you have to be incredibly ignorant not to see that. And ACDC and Metallica are terrible examples to help your argument because they have had the same core for at least 25 years and several albums.

The likes of Tommy and Chris have been in GN'R longer than Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt or Gilby ever were.

Metallica, AC/DC, Sepultura, Alice Cooper have all had numerous line up changes but nobody seems to mind. However, when Guns do it it's a massive fucking problem. I love all the versions of all the bands I have just mentioned and I have stuck by each of those bands through these changes. I just don't see why it's such a big deal.

We're all forgetting Deep Purple and Kiss as examples

Very, Very, Very True.

It shits me that people bag GN'R because of line up changes. Every other band that does it doesn't have anything to answer for, but GN'R constantly have to defoend themselves as a band, and I have no idea why.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, when did it become "Axl's band"? After Steven was sacked? After Izzy left? After Gilby was sacked? After Slash left? After Matt was sacked? After Duff left?

AC/DC are still AC/DC

Axl is the only one left and none of the people in his band are anything more than simple hired hands, you have to be incredibly ignorant not to see that. And ACDC and Metallica are terrible examples to help your argument because they have had the same core for at least 25 years and several albums.

Blackie lawless is the only original member left in W.A.S.P.

Lemmy is the only original member left in Motorhead

David Coverdale is the only original member left in Whitesnake (I think, anyway)

Until last year, Dave Mustaine was the only original member left in Megadeth

Steve Harris and Dave Murray are the only remaining members from the original Iron Maiden album

No-one seems to complain about those bands retaining the name.

Only real difference is that GN'R in its "New Era" has only released one new album so far, whereas the others have all released lots. So i'll give you that point, however with GN'R the song writing credits are all pretty well distributed amongst members, whereas Megadeth, Motorhead, WASP e.t.c. all have pretty much one sole writer

Edited by seely

I have seen Guns N Roses 4 times:

Dublin: Royal Dublin Society Arena 09.06.2006

Glasgow: Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre 21.07.2006

Leeds Festival: Bramham Park 29.08.2010

Birmingham: National Exhibition Centre (LG Arena) 17.10.2010

AC/DC are still AC/DC

The likes of Tommy and Chris have been in GN'R longer than Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt or Gilby ever were.

Metallica, AC/DC, Sepultura, Alice Cooper have all had numerous line up changes but nobody seems to mind. However, when Guns do it it's a massive fucking problem. I love all the versions of all the bands I have just mentioned and I have stuck by each of those bands through these changes. I just don't see why it's such a big deal.

We're all forgetting Deep Purple and Kiss as examples

Very, Very, Very True.

It shits me that people bag GN'R because of line up changes. Every other band that does it doesn't have anything to answer for, but GN'R constantly have to defoend themselves as a band, and I have no idea why.

Alice Cooper is only about Alice Cooper, just like solo Ozzy. Sure you like some of the other guys hes with, but its a solo act and you know people will come and go. Metallica only replaced its bassists, only because of Cliff passing away. Had he lived they would have stayed original all the way. Besides, its only one position being replaced twice. How many times has that happened in Guns? Every spot multiple times, its no comparison.

Alice Cooper started as the name of the band. The band was known as Alice Cooper. When they split in the 70's Alice took the name as his own and created a somewhat different on stage persona. No one has ever had a problem with that. I don't have any issues with that. The only band I have come to dislike since a lineup change was Sepultura. Not because of the lack of the Cavalera's but because the sound had changed a fair bit and I didn't really dig Derrick's vocals.

Even though GN'R still sound great and have some really talented player in that band, they cop so much shit just because......... Well, just because.

Metallica have had 4 line up changes throughout their career. Ron was replaced by Cliff, Dave was replaced by Kirk, Cliff was replaced by Jason and Jason was replaced by Rob.

Anthrax and Megadeath are another 2 examples for ya.

Guest Len B'stard

Once in 2006, Hammersmith Apollo. Never been to a hard rock band type fuckin gig before and if i have a choice i ain't going again. Guns played pretty good, no complaints there, took a while getting onstage though i must say but most of all it's just the fucking sort of people that were down there, bunch of wannabe rockstar wankers with their funny little razorcut barnets, a bunch of people that look like they never got over hair metal and the late 80s, it was embarassing being there, just not cool people in general and the one legendary obligatory violent drunk who happened to have his arm around me (i was excessively drunk too but not violent) for a while and then turned on me for some reason, i think for jumping up and down in such a fashion that i ended up giving him the hump like he was giving other people the hump. Anyway, he thumped me on the collarbone so i smacked him back and eventually he got yanked out by security.

But yeah, just a bunch of metallar cunts really, very boring image concious people, humourless. And the performance, OK, it's a GnR performance so it is what it is but Axl is the most un-engaging performer i've seen in a very long time. He's sorta doing all the stuff he did in the old days but slower and less limber-ly which, y'know, can't fault the man for cuz he's getting on a bit but you'd think he'd perhaps, i dunno, engage the audience somewhat or...i dunno, make up for that lacking now in other departments but he doesn't. It just ended up like Vogue or something, pulling out his kind of bag of 7 to 8 dance moves and...i dunno, i ended up leaving somewhere 3 quarters in...i definitely remember seeing KOHD and Live and Let Die.

Anyway, yeah, first ever hard rock type-ish gig i've been too and quite frankly it'll probably be the last.

• 2 months later...

once, still have very mixed feelings over it. didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would. the build up was more exciting. the crowd turned on Axl for being late. then again you don't keep drunk irish fans waiting. the irish can be very unforgiving and never forget..

• 2 months later...

oh and another thing, i SAW rhiad and the bedouins live.

jealous, anyone? no?

meh

No, not jealous at all. Was there too in Hasselt, 2002 ;)

I've seen Guns 4 times, unfortunatly I've never seen them in the '80s/'90s. I'm a fan since '90 but I was too young back then:

Hasselt, Belgium 2002

Nijmegen, Netherlands 2006

Antwerp, Belgium 2010

Arnhem, Netherlands 2010

Adler's Appetite last february in Kerkrade, Netherlands. Met Steven after the show.

Axl is not the only one left.

Forgot about Dizzy Reed? He's still there...

Only once, in 2006.

But it was one of the shows with Izzy, so I'm ridiculously happy about at least having seen Axl and Izzy together on stage, even if I never had the chance to see the original line-up.

Wow.... lucky! I wish I had seen Finck line-up concert... and yours was one of the best for sure....

Only once, in 2006.

But it was one of the shows with Izzy, so I'm ridiculously happy about at least having seen Axl and Izzy together on stage, even if I never had the chance to see the original line-up.

Yeahh I saw Izzy too in 2006 in Nijmegen, the Netherlands!!!! That was so great!

I saw them in Austria, at the NovaRock Festival. And yes, it really was great :heart:

• 4 weeks later...