Are Motley Crue any good?

Towelie

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

pretty much the same as gnr just they don't cuss. i like them.

too fast for love is appetite's blueprint, and dr. feelgood is a really good album.

The difference between Mötley and Gn'R is that Mötley is fake to the bone whereas Gn'R isn't.

Fake how?

I voted yes and Shout At The Devil. I also really love the Girls Girls Girls album though. I've seen them live twice and both times were great. Tommy has great contact with the audience and seems to really enjoy himself on stage. Mick gives his all and plays awesome. Vince's voice is a lot better now than it was around 2005 imo and I think he does good on stage. Nikki's prescence alone is very powerful (at least I thought it was) like Axl's is, he gets more attention than any of the other band members and seems to be the favorite among most fans.

Anyways, Mötley is my fave band after GNR, so I definetly recommend them.

Motley are pretty awesome (I knew as soon as I read the thread title that RQ would've posted in it, haha)

I've seen them 4 times, and it's always a good show. The first two albums are the best, and after that it's a little hit-and-miss, but there are some good records after those ;)

I'd say definitely start with Too Fast and Shout, then jump to Feelgood. If at all possible, stay as far away as you can from New Tattoo, that album is just absolutely horrible. After those albums, I'd say check out a few songs from each album to get a feel for them:

Use It Or Lose It

Wild Side

All In The Name Of...

You're All I Need

Primal Scream

Find Myself

Let Us Prey

Sick Love Song

Animal In Me

Face Down In The Dirt

Goin' Out Swingin'

too fast for love is appetite's blueprint, and dr. feelgood is a really good album.

The difference between Mötley and Gn'R is that Mötley is fake to the bone whereas Gn'R isn't.

nah..the crue and gnr are the same. if the crue is fake, then gnr is fake.

Motley Crue is 100% real, but I kinda get what you're trying to say. They staged PR stunts when they were breaking in, the kind of shit GNR never would have thought about. Guns just kind of happened through a series of trail and error bands until they eventually settled and got discovered, Motley was put together and carefully planned out like most bands by their managers and what not, they had their own label at first, and generally had it much easier in their early days than Guns. That doesn't mean they didn't work hard, but it was about more than just the music to them for sure. GNR partied, did their share of hard drugs, fucked mountains of women, but they were doing this shit lonnng before they were famous. They were already living that lifestyle because that's how they chose to live, but its not an easy way to live by any means, it was a gamble. So you got this hungry ferocity woven into the songwriting that wasn't really there with Motley, GNR was soooo much hungrier and beaten down than Motley Crue ever was and I think that made them a much stronger musical force that more people could relate with.

Crue was on the heels of Van Halen, and if anything, were peers of Quiet Riot. GNR was just trying to dethrone the Crue as the kings of Sunset Blvd, and it was just typical band rivalry. Crue was more of a party band. They made their mark at US Festival and just wound up being huge from that appearance.

If you want to get into authenticity, "Live Like a Suicide" was a studio recording funded by Geffen, but the original "Too Fast For Love" was out of Motley's pocket. I don't think Motley in the early days had it any more or less easier than other LA bands.

I don't think GNR were more hungrier or more beaten down, but Vince Neil was kind of doing the David Lee Roth "party on" thing, and Axl was this demonic entity that sounded like nothing anybody had ever heard before. It's like David Lee Roth singing about "Mean Streets" and he was the son of a doctor who lived in posh Pasadena, Vince grew up in Compton.

I liked Generation Swine.

First time I've heard anyone say that.

I love the Crue's first 5 albums, the rest is shit (although SOLA had a few good songs). TFFL is definitely my favorite. I go to see them every tour because, even if they don't sound great live, they really know how to put on a show. Genuinely excited to see some rare songs on this tour! =)

Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil, and Dr. Feelgood are great albums. Girls and Theatre of Pain had a few good songs each, but a fair amount of filler as was previously mentioned.

Seen 'em live in 2008 and 2010. 08 was awesome. 2010 is when I noticed Vince getting really lazy on his singing, but whatever.

I remember when Saints of Los Angeles was first released. That first single on the radio was AMAZING. I was like, damn! Whole album was alright. Great riffs in all the songs, but the lyrics I felt were sometimes lacking.

Check out If I Die Tomorrow. The song that was released in 2005ish with their greatest hits CD. Hearing that song and then buying the Red White & Crue album at the time when I was 14 is what got me into Motley Crue.

Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil, and Dr. Feelgood are great albums. Girls and Theatre of Pain had a few good songs each, but a fair amount of filler as was previously mentioned.

Seen 'em live in 2008 and 2010. 08 was awesome. 2010 is when I noticed Vince getting really lazy on his singing, but whatever.

I remember when Saints of Los Angeles was first released. That first single on the radio was AMAZING. I was like, damn! Whole album was alright. Great riffs in all the songs, but the lyrics I felt were sometimes lacking.

Check out If I Die Tomorrow. The song that was released in 2005ish with their greatest hits CD. Hearing that song and then buying the Red White & Crue album at the time when I was 14 is what got me into Motley Crue.

Exactly how I feel about a lot of SOLA. Lots of great music, lots of pathetic lyrics. I really dig Face Down In The Dirt, Saints Of Los Angeles, Motherfucker Of The Year, and Goin' Out Swingin'. Some songs could have been great, had they had better lyrics (What's It Gonna Take and Down At The Whiskey come to mind).

Motley are pretty awesome (I knew as soon as I read the thread title that RQ would've posted in it, haha)

I've seen them 4 times, and it's always a good show. The first two albums are the best, and after that it's a little hit-and-miss, but there are some good records after those ;)

I'd say definitely start with Too Fast and Shout, then jump to Feelgood. If at all possible, stay as far away as you can from New Tattoo, that album is just absolutely horrible. After those albums, I'd say check out a few songs from each album to get a feel for them:

Use It Or Lose It

Wild Side

All In The Name Of...

You're All I Need

Primal Scream

Find Myself

Let Us Prey

Sick Love Song

Animal In Me

Face Down In The Dirt

Goin' Out Swingin'

Haha, you know it! Can't shut me up on anything Mötley related ;)

I don't even own New Tattoo :ph34r:

And I agree with the list of songs you made. Primal Scream is amazing live! I love the bass intro and how the audience gets so into it. This video is a good example of what I mean.

Edited by RocketQueen1985

Exactly how I feel about a lot of SOLA. Lots of great music, lots of pathetic lyrics. I really dig Face Down In The Dirt, Saints Of Los Angeles, Motherfucker Of The Year, and Goin' Out Swingin'. Some songs could have been great, had they had better lyrics (What's It Gonna Take and Down At The Whiskey come to mind).

Face Down In The Dirt was an awesome track. I loved that intro leading into it and then the song just blasting in like it did. One of the few songs where I thought the lyrics were good enough too. lol.

Use It Or Lose It

Wild Side

All In The Name Of...

You're All I Need

Primal Scream

Find Myself

Let Us Prey

Sick Love Song

Animal In Me

Face Down In The Dirt

Goin' Out Swingin'

Haha, you know it! Can't shut me up on anything Mötley related ;)

I don't even own New Tattoo :ph34r:

And I agree with the list of songs you made. Primal Scream is amazing live! I love the bass intro and how the audience gets so into it. This video is a good example of what I mean.

Primal Scream has always been one of my favorites they do live.

On a slightly unrelated topic...man did they fuck up that Crue Fest DVD. They messed with the coloring and tint way more than necessary. Not to mention it sounds like the audio was an unmixed soundboard feed with no audience mics.

Guest Len B'stard

never listened to em, although i've heard Girls Girls Girls. They look like a load of fuckin shit to be honest. Ain't got a great deal of interest in hearing em out, they look and sound shit judging by Girls Girls Girls.