Axl and Eddie Vedder

ChristianGNR

Axl sort took on the baton from Eddie in the media blackout race.

They both seemed to have the Cobain connection.

Yeah, they both liked his music and he hated theirs (or them at least). I know Kurt and Eddie made peace at some point and Kurt said Eddie was "a really nice person," but still said he hated PJ's music.

Pearl Jam actually does TONS of press these days. Its one of the many things that has turned me off to them- that and the past 3 bland, generic, sterile records that they've released.

I wonder if there any complete songs with Dave Abbruzzese's drumming on them from those old sessions with GNR. I heard someone say he was PJ"s original drummer, but thats untrue. He was actually they're 3rd. Dave Krusen drummed on TEN, but then Matt Chamberlin replaced him shortly after the sessions. After Chamberlin left for the SNL band, Dave A. joined the band for the tail end of their touring, including their MTV unplugged show. Abbruzzese drums on VS and all of Vitalogy except one song. He was fired from PJ and the reasons were always kept pretty well under wraps, but Stone Gossard has recently alluded to the fact that there was a major personality clash between him and Vedder. Apparently Dave was too much into the rock n roll lifestyle- partying, girls, etc. Its also rumored that some tension was a result of political differences. The thing I've continually heard over the years is that Dave was an avid gun collector and enthusiast- and that this bothered Eddie.

Edited by Mr. Dude

Pearl Jam is one of my all time favorite bands, they put on mindblowing live shows. As far as I am aware Eddie and Axl have never crossed paths (or if they did it was never reported)

Eddie Vedder played an impromptu set before Guns at the bridge school benefit. I'm sure they crossed paths, but both men are not like 99.9% of celebrities as they don't go "Man! let's take a photo and post it on our respective social media outlets" I respect both of them for that :D

Just noticed that someone bet me to the post with the above piece of info :P

At the end of the day, it would be really cool to hear a duet as both voices are amazing, couldn't only be bettered if Cornell came in on it too. Can't see it happening in reality.

Edited by Tom2112

Slash said in his book that he was annoyed that Axl was getting into "shit like Pearl Jam" or something to that effect,

How anyone can think Pearl Jam (or grunge as a genre is shit) is beyond me but each to his own.

Eddie is a huge supporter of The West Memphis Three and helped create awareness about them and I know Axl's a supporter too and he's worn the Free The West Memphis Three t-shirt at several occassions so I've always wondered if he and Eddie may have crossed paths because of that but we just don't know about it.

If I remember correctly Axl also loves Soundgarden http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

PJ is awesome. Nirvana is the "grunge band" that is shit. IMO ofcourse. As far as interviews- Eddie gives alot. Here is one from cple months back- http://m.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-eddie-vedder-on-pearl-jams-new-lp-and-hate-watching-the-vmas-20130927 Edited by Snowmass

In the Pearl Jam 20th anniversary book. Jeff Ament mentions how GnR were real huge and that PJ could never make an album as good as Appetite.

Its possible when GnR went on the Hell tour that they could have crossed paths with some of the members of Mother Love Bone or Soundgarden. There is that video of Axl backstage at the Whiskey waiting to see MLB.

In the Pearl Jam 20th anniversary book. Jeff Ament mentions how GnR were real huge and that PJ could never make an album as good as Appetite.

Its possible when GnR went on the Hell tour that they could have crossed paths with some of the members of Mother Love Bone or Soundgarden. There is that video of Axl backstage at the Whiskey waiting to see MLB.

I know that Duff mentions in his book that he had at least a few long conversations with Andy Wood. I can't remember if he was still in Malfunkshun or MLB had already formed or not.

Well its been a couple of years since this thread and the list of things GNR should learn from Pearl Jam keeps getting longer. They released a kickass album this year, are putting on incredible shows with incredible setlists, and recording and releasing all of their shows as soundboard recordings.

The two PJ shows I saw this year were among the best shows I have ever seen by any band :thumbsup:

Edited by WhazUp

Well its been a couple of years since this thread and the list of things GNR should learn from Pearl Jam keeps getting longer. They released a kickass album this year, are putting on incredible shows with incredible setlists, and record and release all of their shows as soundboard recordings.

The two PJ shows I saw this year were among the best shows I have ever seen by any band :thumbsup:

Pearl Jam puts on a great live show and they always change up their set lists- but Lightning Bolt is their worst album by miles. I didn't like Backspacer either though. The first half of LB sounds like Blink 182 pop punk and the 2nd half is mostly Vedder solo type stuff. It seems like they're media darlings these days though. Pearl Jam has really let me down the past several years- it seems like they're a BRAND manufacturing product rather than a band creating art. They're chasing the same cheap exposure they use to shun. They might placate the fan base, but I feel like they've stopped challenging them.

Edited by Mr. Dude

Pearl Jam puts on a great live show and they always change up their set lists- but Lightning Bolt is their worst album by miles. I didn't like Backspacer either though. The first half of LB sounds like Blink 182 pop punk and the 2nd half is mostly Vedder solo type stuff.

I respectfully disagree - although I do get why some people may not be into the past few PJ albums. I like Backspacer but don't love it, but to me Lightning Bolt is their best album since Binaural. Riot Act and the s/t album are good but as a whole aren't consistent compared to other albums

With Lightning Bolt they aren't as dark and brooding but the songs themselves are straight to the point and have strong melodies and arrangements. Especially Lightning Bolt, Pendulum, Infallible, and Sirens. IMO it is a vast improvement over Avocado and Backspacer

Pearl Jam puts on a great live show and they always change up their set lists- but Lightning Bolt is their worst album by miles. I didn't like Backspacer either though. The first half of LB sounds like Blink 182 pop punk and the 2nd half is mostly Vedder solo type stuff.

I respectfully disagree - although I do get why some people may not be into the past few PJ albums. I like Backspacer but don't love it, but to me Lightning Bolt is their best album since Binaural. Riot Act and the s/t album are good but as a whole aren't consistent compared to other albums

With Lightning Bolt they aren't as dark and brooding but the songs themselves are straight to the point and have strong melodies and arrangements. Especially Lightning Bolt, Pendulum, Infallible, and Sirens. IMO it is a vast improvement over Avocado and Backspacer

I've just really lost interest and it started around Avocado. I consider Backpacer and LB kind of in the same vein- very slickly produced, nothing too complex musically, nothing really challenging lyrically. It seems like everything is built around a certain marketing strategy as opposed to letting the material speak for itself. I thought LB was especially weak and I can't see any of those songs breaking into the long-term consciousness of the fans.

I feel like Pearl Jam has lost their anger, and along with it their creative mojo. They don't necessarily have to recapture the angst of their youth, but they do have to seem inspired and I haven't felt that way about them since at least Riot Act. They can still win me back and I hope they do, but LB is where I drew the line as far as buying records and following them like I used to.

Slash said in his book that he was annoyed that Axl was getting into "shit like Pearl Jam" or something to that effect,

This always cracks me up. Slash has horrid taste in music. Pearl Jam were fucking great back then, and still push out good albums. PJ and Black Crowes are pretty much solid good American rock music imo. :)

I know that Duff mentions in his book that he had at least a few long conversations with Andy Wood. I can't remember if he was still in Malfunkshun or MLB had already formed or not.

Interesting, I'd guess Malfunkshun, mainly because of the timeline, but I'm not really sure. MLB was formed near the end of the decade so who knows. Maybe Duff, went home for a few weeks and bumped into them.

Another funny bit to is Mike Mcready was in LA in a band called Shadow. If I recall right, Guns were still playing clubs or were just about to be signed and 'disappear' from the strip.

I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan. I respect them for always mixing up their set lists and not playing it safe by sticking to the hits. Pearl Jam also did a kick-ass cover Van Halen's ATBL. I thought that Lighting Bolt was good, not great. The first five Pearl Jam albums will always be my favorites, but they continue to release good music and put on great shows.

Interesting, I'd guess Malfunkshun, mainly because of the timeline, but I'm not really sure. MLB was formed near the end of the decade so who knows. Maybe Duff, went home for a few weeks and bumped into them.

Another funny bit to is Mike Mcready was in LA in a band called Shadow. If I recall right, Guns were still playing clubs or were just about to be signed and 'disappear' from the strip.

I'm sure Marc and others who held onto ads from back in the 80s have Shadow listed in the club ads. It's interesting to see who was in LA at the time, whether they were in school trying to learn and probably in the audience, or in the clubs. This would be up there with seeing old photos of Rivers Cuomo in his glam metal days. He doesn't even look like he's in the same band with the other two.... "yo, Flock of Seagulls"...

http://pearljam.com/band/mike

December 1986, Shadow’s first show at the Roxy in L.A. It only cost us seven hundred dollars to get on the bill! At least Tim Dijulio, Duff McKagan, Lauren, and about two other people were there at midnight on a Sunday. Shadow played at Fender’s, opening for Andy Taylor of Duran Duran in 1987. I met Rod Stewart there. Our final L.A. show was at Club Lingerie in 1987. I became a lead guitar player in those lean L.A. years—eating Top Ramen and payin’ those dues.

pearljamoooold.jpg

Edited by dalsh327

I'm sure Marc and others who held onto ads from back in the 80s have Shadow listed in the club ads. It's interesting to see who was in LA at the time, whether they were in school trying to learn and probably in the audience, or in the clubs. This would be up there with seeing old photos of Rivers Cuomo in his glam metal days. He doesn't even look like he's in the same band with the other two.... "yo, Flock of Seagulls"...

December 1986, Shadow’s first show at the Roxy in L.A. It only cost us seven hundred dollars to get on the bill! At least Tim Dijulio, Duff McKagan, Lauren, and about two other people were there at midnight on a Sunday. Shadow played at Fender’s, opening for Andy Taylor of Duran Duran in 1987. I met Rod Stewart there. Our final L.A. show was at Club Lingerie in 1987. I became a lead guitar player in those lean L.A. years—eating Top Ramen and payin’ those dues.

pearljamoooold.jpg

WoW. Great find dalsh!!

Its great that McCready just missed in LA then gets signed in Seattle. Similiar for Duff but the opposite cities. I do think Duff would have caught on with a band and make it, had he stayed in Seattle.

Its definatly interesting to see how all these guys crossed paths in the club days.

The Eddie Vedder story with Jack Irons is a good one to. Alot of luck and being in the right place at the right time. It also kind of shows it helps to know people.

I liked Eddie Vedder a lot more when he was seclusive. It bothers me that he's constantly hob-nobbing with celebs and giving interviews 3 days a week. He plays the game too much.

No disputing the fact that Pearl Jam puts on some great shows though.

I feel like PJ lost their artistic direction around 06 or so.

Edited by Mr. Dude

pearljamoooold.jpg

WoW. Great find dalsh!!

Its great that McCready just missed in LA then gets signed in Seattle. Similiar for Duff but the opposite cities. I do think Duff would have caught on with a band and make it, had he stayed in Seattle.

Its definatly interesting to see how all these guys crossed paths in the club days.

The Eddie Vedder story with Jack Irons is a good one to. Alot of luck and being in the right place at the right time. It also kind of shows it helps to know people.

Jack Irons went to Fairfax High, so there was probably some crossing paths with future GNR members.

Never a huge Pearl Jam fan, but I commend Eddie for helping out those Memphis 3 men who were wrongly accused of murdering those kids.

I just recently watched the last movie about them and Eddie did some interviews and even did a show for them when they were released.

Knowing how low key Eddie is, you know he truly believed they were innocent because he's not one to be in the limelight.

Anyway, Pearl Jam was one of the better bands to come out of the grunge days as they still are making music and touring for their fans.

Never a huge Pearl Jam fan, but I commend Eddie for helping out those Memphis 3 men who were wrongly accused of murdering those kids.

I just recently watched the last movie about them and Eddie did some interviews and even did a show for them when they were released.

Knowing how low key Eddie is, you know he truly believed they were innocent because he's not one to be in the limelight.

Anyway, Pearl Jam was one of the better bands to come out of the grunge days as they still are making music and touring for their fans.

West of Memphis or Paradise Lost 3?