Greatest rock lyricist in rock?

Bugaha

if you like him Jack i want a reccomendation, who the fucks Isaac Brooks? Gimme an album!

:rofl-lol: I'm flattered!

He's the lyricist/singer/guitarist for Modest Mouse from the Pacific Northwest!

Check out their debut album - This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About

(yeah I know, title may seem like rubbish but I'll let you know one thing...it's fucking true. An album for flights and that ordeal if there ever was one)

Some fans would recommend their "supposed" magnum opus and all that jazz, but I really think you should shoot for the debut!

I can't say I really tolerate MM after 2000 though, eh..just not my cup of tea.

Their first 3 studio LPs are flawless though!

All credit goes to Snake Eyes for introducing them to me!!

Ah man, I love We Were Dead. "March Into the Sea", "Dashboard", and "Spitting Venom" are some of my favorites from them.

The debut is actually the only album from them I haven't heard (love the other four, though). I've heard "Dramamine" but nothing past that. May have to change that tonight.

The Lonesome Crowded West is one of my favorite albums ever. I think "Long Distance Drunk" is the only song from that album I don't like. The rest are all great.

Ah man, I love We Were Dead. "March Into the Sea", "Dashboard", and "Spitting Venom" are some of my favorites from them.

The debut is actually the only album from them I haven't heard (love the other four, though). I've heard "Dramamine" but nothing past that. May have to change that tonight.

The Lonesome Crowded West is one of my favorite albums ever. I think "Long Distance Drunk" is the only song from that album I don't like. The rest are all great.

Those tracks just don't sit well with me for some reason, but TLCW is one ass-kicking album. And you should remedy that debut issue asap :P

You can easily make a case for Bob Dylan being a rock musician.

Oh most definitely, i was just grasping for a way to lump Woody Guthrie in there :lol: Begs an interesting question though, what the fuck is Bob Dylan category-wise? I mean, you could easily make a case for it, yes but i think it'd be a disservice to Dylan to just call him a rock musician and leave it at that, i mean, blues, folk, country, bluegrass, etc etc. I suppose rock musicians sort of a broad umbrella these days but...i dunno, i'd be hard pushed to categorise Dylan and suspect that perhaps to attempt to would be missing the point somewhat. Speaking in terms of myself here.

The best way, I think, is to judge that song by song. Or maybe album by album, but even that breaks down later in his career, with more eclectic albums. He's one of those people who excel at a number of different genres.

Dylan is the master of painting with words. but I'd have to put Neil Young as the overall greatest lyricist in rock.

I'm going with Thom Yorke.

Thom Yorke?! That guy is so overrated it makes me sick... Went to a Radiohead concert in '09... worst concert I've ever been to. And I WAS a radiohead fan back then.

I'm sorry to hear that.

When I posted this thread, I should of made in more specific like within the last 25 years or so. No question that Dylan takes the cake.

But within the last 2-3 decades, Thom Yorke all day.

The guy is a good lyricist, of course. But his attitude, what he represents, I just don't like it. When I met the Radiohead fan base, and I saw them live, I stopped liking them.

I'm going with Thom Yorke.

Thom Yorke?! That guy is so overrated it makes me sick... Went to a Radiohead concert in '09... worst concert I've ever been to. And I WAS a radiohead fan back then.

I'm sorry to hear that.

When I posted this thread, I should of made in more specific like within the last 25 years or so. No question that Dylan takes the cake.

But within the last 2-3 decades, Thom Yorke all day.

The guy is a good lyricist, of course. But his attitude, what he represents, I just don't like it. When I met the Radiohead fan base, and I saw them live, I stopped liking them.

Yorke is a moody bastard but he clearly gets into every song so utterly and lives the moment, I think he is a genius, it's not just him though the whole band bring so much immense stuff to the table, he's a very clever writer.