Biggest douchebag in rock

Towelie

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They froze Scott out for the last 6 months, they didn't even talk to him according to Slash.

Why?

And they claim they fired Scott so he didn't leave them for STP.

"He didn't quit...we fired him". :lol:

...and STP reunion magically forms all on its own as a result :book:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They froze Scott out for the last 6 months, they didn't even talk to him according to Slash.

Why?

Why they froze him out? Slash said in an interview (I believe it was Kerrang magazine) that they'd frozen Scott out and hadn't even talked to him for the past 6 months but had completely ignored him while VR was on tour. Slash's exact reason for freezing Scott out? Can't remember atm but I can look it up in the magazine later if you want an exact quote.

I don't even understand what you're trying to say with the "He didn't quit - we fired him" and an STP reunion happens. Are you saying they froze Scott out and fired him cause of the STP reunion?

Edited by RocketQueen1985

Why?

Why they froze him out? Slash said in an interview (I believe it was Kerrang magazine) that they'd frozen Scott out and hadn't even talked to him for the past 6 months but had completely ignored him while VR was on tour. Slash's exact reason for freezing Scott out? Can't remember atm but I can look it up in the magazine later if you want an exact quote.

I don't even understand what you're trying to say with the "He didn't quit - we fired him" and an STP reunion happens. Are you saying they froze Scott out and fired him cause of the STP reunion?

Nah ..it's ok.Just saying...there's gotta be reasons they weren't talking to Scott on tour.They didn't just decide to ostracize their lead singer for something to do.

And the other part...have you ever heard the old saying "you can't fire me,I quit"...I was just putting a spin on it."He didn't quit,we fired him".

Look...everything in VR fell apart and with a snap of a finger "oh look,an STP tour".

It's more than coicindience in my book...and if the scenario being presented is Scott saying "well the band stopped talking to me and I have no idea why,so when the offer of an STP tour just happned to come up at the same time,I figured I might as well do ot,if my friends in VR don't like me anymore"...well.sorry,but I'm just not buying it.

Well, I'm not buying it the other way around. Freezing a fellow band member out and not speaking to him for 6 months....come on, what is this? High school? They are grown men but they sure don't always act like it. Like Scott said "Ego's got in the way, including my own" so at least he has owned up to his part of the break up.

Well, I'm not buying it the other way around. Freezing a fellow band member out and not speaking to him for 6 months....come on, what is this? High school? They are grown men but they sure don't always act like it. Like Scott said "Ego's got in the way, including my own" so at least he has owned up to his part of the break up.

That's cool,everyone has their opnion on it.

Duff took to Scott like a brother.

Duff praised Scott to the highest levels of regard.

Can't see why Duff would just all of a sudden stop talking to him...for no reason at all.

Something doesn't add up.

Can't see why Duff would just all of a sudden stop talking to him...for no reason at all.

Yes, Duff really did try to help Scott. All VR members relapsed except for Dave so maybe the addiction issues made them turn on each other? Either way, I don't think it can all be blamed on Scott especially since we don't have all the details. I'm sure Scott can be difficult especially when he's on drugs and because of his bipolar disorder but like with GNR not only one person is to blame, everyone (maybe with the exception of Dave) contributed to the break up imo.

Yes, Duff really did try to help Scott. All VR members relapsed except for Dave so maybe the addiction issues made them turn on each other? Either way, I don't think it can all be blamed on Scott especially since we don't have all the details. I'm sure Scott can be difficult especially when he's on drugs and because of his bipolar disorder but like with GNR not only one person is to blame, everyone (maybe with the exception of Dave) contributed to the break up imo.

Still can't help but wonder why a man's entire band couldn't bear to speak to him anymore.

Still can't help but wonder why a man's entire band couldn't bear to speak to him anymore.

Yes they are just so damn unlucky with their lead singers, huh?

VR had more than one singer?

I meant Slash, Duff and Matt always seem to have such bad luck with lead singers they are in bands with. According to them it was Axl and Scott who were to blame for it all. I wonder what will happen if there ever is a 3rd lead singer....

I meant Slash, Duff and Matt

Yeah Matt's a deciding factor I'm sure.

I wonder what happened that great guy Dave Kushner fell out with Scott as well?

Yeah, Scott had problems with Matt for a while. Matt should really be on this list cause he's one big douchebag if you ask me.

From my understanding Scott and Dave never really had a problem, their wives were/are very close and Scott made a point of saying on several occassions that Dave had been fair to him always.

I got both Scott and Duff's books (still need to read them) so maybe they'll give more details on what actually happened. I just think the way they went about getting rid of Scott was wrong, but that's just my opinion.

Crue is just disingenuine...Gene too. Courtney seems like a true bitch to me. Gallagher, too. Bono had a quote which always sticks with me..."We have reached a level with U2 musically that no other band has gotten to"...disrespectful and douchey. Not sure he,s rock, but where is Jon Mayer??

Yeah, Scott had problems with Matt for a while. Matt should really be on this list cause he's one big douchebag if you ask me.

From my understanding Scott and Dave never really had a problem, their wives were/are very close and Scott made a point of saying on several occassions that Dave had been fair to him always.

I got both Scott and Duff's books (still need to read them) so maybe they'll give more details on what actually happened. I just think the way they went about getting rid of Scott was wrong, but that's just my opinion.

But I thought the whole band stopped talking to Scott?

Dave included?

There has to be a reason.

They didn't just decide one day to be big meanies and pick on their singer so he'd quit.

But I thought the whole band stopped talking to Scott?

Dave included?

There has to be a reason.

They didn't just decide one day to be big meanies and pick on their singer so he'd quit.

Well I have the magazines with the interviews Duff, Slash and Scott gave when Scott was fired but I can't remember what exactly they said so I don't know if Dave cut Scott of too. I just remember the freezing out and not talking to Scott for 6 months part cause I was pretty shocked they would act in such a way towards a band mate and friend of theirs. If they couldn't get along anymore and felt there was nothing else to do but let Scott go then fair enough, it's the way they handled it I don't care for. They were all (except for Dave) back on drugs/booze and it seems they singled Scott out cause he was on heroin which they considered to be worse which I think is kinda lame. They all screwed up but instead of admitting to that they placed the entire blame on Scott and his "erratic behaviour".

It's cool if you don't like Scott but I think it's unfair to put all the blame on him.

."We have reached a level with U2 musically that no other band has gotten to"...disrespectful and douchey.

Haha what? He's proud of his bands success. Axl and Slash especially have refered to Guns as 'the biggest band in the world' there is no disrespect in that what so ever. Bono also has countless quotes praising other individual or bands. Silly to base your opinion on that.

Also the Charlie Manson quote was an offhand joke that he made at a concert. I got a chuckle out of it. Again, silly to claim he is a douche for that.

Bono is a really nice guy, and rarely talks badly of others. He holds himself very professionally in interviews, pleases his fans, puts on amazing tours and shows, and cares a lot about others. He's far from perfect, sure, but he never claims to be, so I don't get why people desperately nitpick at him for little things like that.

Cool dude, overall.

Why?

Nah ..it's ok.Just saying...there's gotta be reasons they weren't talking to Scott on tour.They didn't just decide to ostracize their lead singer for something to do.

And the other part...have you ever heard the old saying "you can't fire me,I quit"...I was just putting a spin on it."He didn't quit,we fired him".

Look...everything in VR fell apart and with a snap of a finger "oh look,an STP tour".

It's more than coicindience in my book...and if the scenario being presented is Scott saying "well the band stopped talking to me and I have no idea why,so when the offer of an STP tour just happned to come up at the same time,I figured I might as well do ot,if my friends in VR don't like me anymore"...well.sorry,but I'm just not buying it.

Here is the Kerrang! magazine interview...

Slash reveals the truth behind Scott's departure and what the future holds for VR

When Scott strode up the mircophone and informed a sold-out Glasgow SECC that "they were watching something special - the last tour by VR" his bandmates, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dave all stood back and stared at each other. To the casual observer this was shock, pure and simple, but to those privy to the inside workings of the band, this was actually an annoucement that made everyone but the singers lives a good eal easier. Because those four men already knew what Scott didn't - that he was already out the band.

"he didn'tknow that we were already planning on extraditing him" says Slash "when we started touring the second record, it just felt like we were losing Scott as far as out connection went. During the tour with Alice in Chains [in august 07], he was just out to lunch. When he came back, he was supposed to go to rehab, so we postponed our Austrailian tour but he didn't really go to rehab. That was the final blow. we had a lot of commitments, like the tour in the UK, which we didn't want to go back on, so we wanted to finish those before telling him."

Here, Slash reveals the details of Scott's departure, Exclusively to Kerrang!

Was the split with Weiland difficult?

No, not really. at this point everybody's very relieved that we've got past it because, now he's not around we can consentrate on getting somebody into the fold that we can rely on, he's been talking about rejoining STP as well, so we told him, 'cool go jam with STP in the summer and we'll work on the album, we said that [before the split] because we didn't think there'd be anything going on with him after the summer anyway.

That must have made the relantionship complicated between you on your last tour

We basically didn't speak a word that whole time, we gave him the cold shoulder in the UK like nobody's business. There were a couple of arguements around the stage but, other than that, nobody spoke to him, i imagine he was quite uncomfortable. No wonder he didn't have a good time, then, he told everyone in Glasgow that the whole band was over. we were like 'Oh well, i guess we've got a surprise coming for you, Scott'

So it end didn't end on good term, then?

It wasn't malicious. the whole thing was basically just a lot more difficult that we've made it sound for the last few years

If you weren't speaking, did that make travelling together hard?

For the most part, i don't really remember seeing much of him, We flew to Dubai together, i think, when we played recently, well i think i remember him being on the plane, anyway. we sort of got used to him not being around. He's never really been part of the mechanics of the group - he's always been separate and doing his own little thing

Was it irratating that the singer in your band wouldn't commit to actually being in the band?

I'm really easy-going and i'll make allowances for whatever people need. But there is the other side of it too and, when you're dealing with someone who is too high-maintenance to hang out with the guys in the trenches, then there are problems

Did that feel like a snub to you?

I didn't take it personally but i don't want to dwell on it too much, there was a point where he had certain requirements - he need this to deal with things, then that - and you just get to a point where you think, whatever, i'd like to have somebody up there who's comfortable enough and secure enough with himself to be the frontman without feeling that he's being threatened by the other guys. Really, though i don't understand what goes on with these people!

Do you think Weiland was threatened by your shared history with Duff and Matt in GNR?

There was some underlying fucking theme that was going on but i'd be lying if i said i could put my finger exactly on it. i definatly get the feeling there was some sort of resentment going on

There was a rumour that Weiland was called 'J.A' - Junior Axl - By the band behind he back, is there any truth in that?

No, i never called him that, there were a few similarities though. what became really irritating was that i had the same problem with Scott as i had when i toured with Axl. i just couldn't get the guy onstage on time. That i can't accept. i will not do it again. i will not be in a situation where a guy is making the audience wait half an hour or an hour or more. it's criminal, i don't know who someone thinks he is when tries to get away with that sort of thing

You spoke about Weiland 'Erratic Behavior' and his 'Personal Problems' when you annouced his departure, What did you mean by that?

Oh man, that a broad statement isn't it? when it comes to those things, i don't want to speak badly of him because i don't want that negative energy going back and forth, basically, we're done. i don't need to air any dirty laundry about him. We had a good run and there are some good songs in there. We had some magic moments but the bad outweighted the good

Did Weiland's plans the Reunite with STP have any bearing on his exit?

It wasn't the STP thing at all. at the end of the day, he wanted the glory of going back to STP anyway, i think he thought we were going to wait around for him until the end of the summer but, instead we thoughts, Just go, We'll see how those guys fare with you

You seem to be cursed when it comes to singers...

I know, it figures, at this point, three times charmed right? We're looking forward to finding a new singer, though, and we're in a much stronger posistion to do that than when we started. Now, at least people know what we're doing, They know we're a rock 'n' roll band and that we're sucessful enough that you're going to have to be on your game if you're going to hook up with us. I just want to find this guy so we can write some songs.

Are you working with singers at the moment?

We had thought about working with someone else for the UK tour but there wasn't really enough time to break someone in for that. We're entertaining a couple of different ideas. There has been alot of interest, so we're working our way through what we like and what we don't like. I'm not going to make any rash decisions, it's nice that people are interested, though, it's 50 percent fate and 50 percent hard work and tenacity trying to find the right guy for the band. We've got the hard work and tenacity down, but, as far as fate is concerned, we'll just have to see.

Sources:

gnrevolution http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=29105

Some of it's on Blabbermouth http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=95057

...gosh everyone comes across as a douche-bag in this... <_<

Edited by KiraMPD

."We have reached a level with U2 musically that no other band has gotten to"...disrespectful and douchey.

Haha what? He's proud of his bands success. Axl and Slash especially have refered to Guns as 'the biggest band in the world' there is no disrespect in that what so ever. Bono also has countless quotes praising other individual or bands. Silly to base your opinion on that.

Also the Charlie Manson quote was an offhand joke that he made at a concert. I got a chuckle out of it. Again, silly to claim he is a douche for that.

Bono is a really nice guy, and rarely talks badly of others. He holds himself very professionally in interviews, pleases his fans, puts on amazing tours and shows, and cares a lot about others. He's far from perfect, sure, but he never claims to be, so I don't get why people desperately nitpick at him for little things like that.

Cool dude, overall.

Man, really, what it is is that he just comes across as a douche. He seems to think he's saving the world and U2 are a god-send. How much of that image is true, I don't know, it seems that way. It doesn't help U2 have been making terrible corporate pop-rock since POP came out.

Achtung Baby, POP, Zooropa, and The Joshua Tree give them a free pass to make as many shitty records as you want

Guest Len B'stard

Why?

Here is the Kerrang! magazine interview...

Slash reveals the truth behind Scott's departure and what the future holds for VR

When Scott strode up the mircophone and informed a sold-out Glasgow SECC that "they were watching something special - the last tour by VR" his bandmates, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dave all stood back and stared at each other. To the casual observer this was shock, pure and simple, but to those privy to the inside workings of the band, this was actually an annoucement that made everyone but the singers lives a good eal easier. Because those four men already knew what Scott didn't - that he was already out the band.

"he didn'tknow that we were already planning on extraditing him" says Slash "when we started touring the second record, it just felt like we were losing Scott as far as out connection went. During the tour with Alice in Chains [in august 07], he was just out to lunch. When he came back, he was supposed to go to rehab, so we postponed our Austrailian tour but he didn't really go to rehab. That was the final blow. we had a lot of commitments, like the tour in the UK, which we didn't want to go back on, so we wanted to finish those before telling him."

Here, Slash reveals the details of Scott's departure, Exclusively to Kerrang!

Was the split with Weiland difficult?

No, not really. at this point everybody's very relieved that we've got past it because, now he's not around we can consentrate on getting somebody into the fold that we can rely on, he's been talking about rejoining STP as well, so we told him, 'cool go jam with STP in the summer and we'll work on the album, we said that [before the split] because we didn't think there'd be anything going on with him after the summer anyway.

That must have made the relantionship complicated between you on your last tour

We basically didn't speak a word that whole time, we gave him the cold shoulder in the UK like nobody's business. There were a couple of arguements around the stage but, other than that, nobody spoke to him, i imagine he was quite uncomfortable. No wonder he didn't have a good time, then, he told everyone in Glasgow that the whole band was over. we were like 'Oh well, i guess we've got a surprise coming for you, Scott'

So it end didn't end on good term, then?

It wasn't malicious. the whole thing was basically just a lot more difficult that we've made it sound for the last few years

If you weren't speaking, did that make travelling together hard?

For the most part, i don't really remember seeing much of him, We flew to Dubai together, i think, when we played recently, well i think i remember him being on the plane, anyway. we sort of got used to him not being around. He's never really been part of the mechanics of the group - he's always been separate and doing his own little thing

Was it irratating that the singer in your band wouldn't commit to actually being in the band?

I'm really easy-going and i'll make allowances for whatever people need. But there is the other side of it too and, when you're dealing with someone who is too high-maintenance to hang out with the guys in the trenches, then there are problems

Did that feel like a snub to you?

I didn't take it personally but i don't want to dwell on it too much, there was a point where he had certain requirements - he need this to deal with things, then that - and you just get to a point where you think, whatever, i'd like to have somebody up there who's comfortable enough and secure enough with himself to be the frontman without feeling that he's being threatened by the other guys. Really, though i don't understand what goes on with these people!

Do you think Weiland was threatened by your shared history with Duff and Matt in GNR?

There was some underlying fucking theme that was going on but i'd be lying if i said i could put my finger exactly on it. i definatly get the feeling there was some sort of resentment going on

There was a rumour that Weiland was called 'J.A' - Junior Axl - By the band behind he back, is there any truth in that?

No, i never called him that, there were a few similarities though. what became really irritating was that i had the same problem with Scott as i had when i toured with Axl. i just couldn't get the guy onstage on time. That i can't accept. i will not do it again. i will not be in a situation where a guy is making the audience wait half an hour or an hour or more. it's criminal, i don't know who someone thinks he is when tries to get away with that sort of thing

You spoke about Weiland 'Erratic Behavior' and his 'Personal Problems' when you annouced his departure, What did you mean by that?

Oh man, that a broad statement isn't it? when it comes to those things, i don't want to speak badly of him because i don't want that negative energy going back and forth, basically, we're done. i don't need to air any dirty laundry about him. We had a good run and there are some good songs in there. We had some magic moments but the bad outweighted the good

Did Weiland's plans the Reunite with STP have any bearing on his exit?

It wasn't the STP thing at all. at the end of the day, he wanted the glory of going back to STP anyway, i think he thought we were going to wait around for him until the end of the summer but, instead we thoughts, Just go, We'll see how those guys fare with you

You seem to be cursed when it comes to singers...

I know, it figures, at this point, three times charmed right? We're looking forward to finding a new singer, though, and we're in a much stronger posistion to do that than when we started. Now, at least people know what we're doing, They know we're a rock 'n' roll band and that we're sucessful enough that you're going to have to be on your game if you're going to hook up with us. I just want to find this guy so we can write some songs.

Are you working with singers at the moment?

We had thought about working with someone else for the UK tour but there wasn't really enough time to break someone in for that. We're entertaining a couple of different ideas. There has been alot of interest, so we're working our way through what we like and what we don't like. I'm not going to make any rash decisions, it's nice that people are interested, though, it's 50 percent fate and 50 percent hard work and tenacity trying to find the right guy for the band. We've got the hard work and tenacity down, but, as far as fate is concerned, we'll just have to see.

Sources:

gnrevolution http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=29105

Some of it's on Blabbermouth http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=95057

...gosh everyone comes across as a douche-bag in this... <_<

I've never thought this about Slash before having been a fan for many many years but, from that interview at least, you definitely get the impression that he's not as easy going as he might initially come across.

I've never thought this about Slash before having been a fan for many many years but, from that interview at least, you definitely get the impression that he's not as easy going as he might initially come across.

hmm... yes. The entire situation seems very childish to me.

Guest Len B'stard

hmm... yes. The entire situation seems very childish to me.

He always gave off the impression, to me at least, of someone that just like...wanted to play with a good group of musicians and, y'know, that was his cardinal interest and he wasn't the kind of person to like, pick up on or care about like, little bitchy things but with that statement, the bit about the "underlying fucking theme" that he couldn't quite put his finger on, that could be as much him than Scott. And also the thing about him not being part of the mechanics of the group and it irking him that Scott was too high maintenance to be in the trenches with the guys, i kinda get the feeling that he lets little things like this slip that kinda indicate that he's not quite the sweetheart that he makes out.

And this is coming from a confirmed Slashite btw. I mean, obviously, i'm not a child, i've never really thought the break up of any band is ever all down to one person, nor has Slash ever given me the impression that he was trying to say that but, i dunno, they're kinda little subtle indicators that the guys not quite the sweetie he generally comes across as or comes across as to me. Not saying he's some arch fucking villian of every piece he's played in, just saying.

And y'know "he didn't know we already planned on extraditing him", it's like...so basically, at any given point, there was a fair bit going on behind Scotts back.

As i say, don't really care one way or the other and Scott ain't exactly Mother Theresa but, yeah, two sides to a coin and all that.

Edited by sugaraylen