Anyone seen this Rhiad live?

bumblerose

I live Rhiad too, if you take out the electronica, It's the only song that I could see the old band playing too, actually reminds me of old Guns.

There's no "eletronica". I have no idea why people say this when the song is all about guitars, bass and drums. Very minor keys show up here and there, but thats it.

I think many have it as an industrial aong because of the mudded quality of the bootlegs. I dunno, aside from the intro (the sampled one and the pulse), there's no industrial or electronic in there.

I never understood the hate for Riad. I think it's awesome! The main riff is great. One of my favorites from the album, for sure. Decent performance here too.

I totally agree. Never really understood the hate. Its my favorite since I first heard the Vegas bootleg, back in January 2001.

It is by far the heaviest song on the album, it seems some people on here just listened to the intro than turned it off. I am glad they chose Bumblefoot over the Finck/Buckethead solo, since that version would have been classified as industrial, Ron's tracks made the song sound more hard rock.

I don't think Axl could perform it live nowadays.

I agree that Ron's solo is better, but I much prefer the strato rhythm from the demo.

But what does the original solos had to do with industrial?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live Rhiad too, if you take out the electronica, It's the only song that I could see the old band playing too, actually reminds me of old Guns.

There's no "eletronica". I have no idea why people say this when the song is all about guitars, bass and drums. Very minor keys show up here and there, but thats it.

I think many have it as an industrial aong because of the mudded quality of the bootlegs. I dunno, aside from the intro (the sampled one and the pulse), there's no industrial or electronic in there.

I never understood the hate for Riad. I think it's awesome! The main riff is great. One of my favorites from the album, for sure. Decent performance here too.

I totally agree. Never really understood the hate. Its my favorite since I first heard the Vegas bootleg, back in January 2001.

It is by far the heaviest song on the album, it seems some people on here just listened to the intro than turned it off. I am glad they chose Bumblefoot over the Finck/Buckethead solo, since that version would have been classified as industrial, Ron's tracks made the song sound more hard rock.

I don't think Axl could perform it live nowadays.

I agree that Ron's solo is better, but I much prefer the strato rhythm from the demo.

But what does the original solos had to do with industrial?

I think he's talking about Ron's rhythm tracks being more straight hard rock rather than the solo itself. Either way Riad rocks and the riffing is fkn' awesome... the drums are also top notch :thumbsup:

Still can't understand how a stratocaster sound could be labeled as industrial. Or even after the 1st chorus, when Robin and Paul both uses regular Les Paul guitars.

Maybe because of the chorus, as they both played those weird notes, while Bumblefoot played a more conventional power chord with some sleazy licks here and there.

I just associate the 2000 to 2004 sound to industrial which i guess should be labeled more experimental rock. I think Ron listened to the tracks and felt the rythmn guitar parts needed improvement while Robin and Bucketheads guitar solos were perfect for the most part. I think he gave the hard rocking GN'R sound missing from the original tapes and reworked tapes.

Da na da dun dun DA NA NA NA

Love it! The riffing throughout is fkn' awesome, I can't think of any other Chinese songs (Other than Shackler's or I.R.S. perhaps) when we're talking about riffs.

Why some of you hate the song? It's ballsy, has an amazing drumming, awesome bass and vocals, great solos...

I can't think of any other Chinese songs (Other than Shackler's or I.R.S. perhaps) when we're talking about riffs.

Chinese Democracy and Scraped both have great riffs.

Axl's vocals are a hot mess on this performance, but I dig Rhiad. It's reminds me a lot of Immigrant Song.

I can't think of any other Chinese songs (Other than Shackler's or I.R.S. perhaps) when we're talking about riffs.

Axl's vocals are a hot mess on this performance, but I dig Rhiad. It's reminds me a lot of Immigrant Song.

Other than Ron's fretless riffing I can't see much going on Chinese... not as much as I can see on Riad though. Yes, Scraped has great riffs as well, forgot to mention. But Riad is still the "winner" imo. And yes, it's *certainly* inspired by Immigrant Song.

BirdCatcher, that was possibly Pitman but could be Ron because it wasn't there on the leaks. I think it was Pitman anyway.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

That crazy guitar part at 1:27 to 1:30 was that Buckethead?

You mean the studio version? If so, yes, that was Bucket. He plays the same lick at 2:27. The licks at 2:35 and 2:42 are Ron's.

How the hell do you guys know all this shit? :shock:

Other than Ron's fretless riffing I can't see much going on Chinese... not as much as I can see on Riad though. Yes, Scraped has great riffs as well, forgot to mention. But Riad is still the "winner" imo. And yes, it's *certainly* inspired by Immigrant Song.

BirdCatcher, that was possibly Pitman but could be Ron because it wasn't there on the leaks. I think it was Pitman anyway.

Man I heard Pitman could have done Bucketheads parts, like on keyboards or something. I wondered about that part because it didn't sound like a guitar but then again, guitarists have always found ways to make their notes sound weird.

Chinese Democracy is probably the most straight up rock and roll song on the album. Shackler's Revenge, Better, Scraped, Riad and I.R.S. had a lot more going on. You have like five different guitarists playing on there, but in a live setting three can easily do it, just have Ron doing Buckets parts, DJ doing Robin and Fortus doing Paul's. When I saw there are like five players on the title song it didn't sound like there were five.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Saw it in Detroit in 2001. Wish I could brag about it but it's a horrible song that received a horrible reaction from the crowd. Glad they tossed it from the lineup. Now only if they'd do the same for Street of Dreams.

Cheers,

Andrew

Man I heard Pitman could have done Bucketheads parts, like on keyboards or something. I wondered about that part because it didn't sound like a guitar but then again, guitarists have always found ways to make their notes sound weird.

That was a possibility but wouldn't sound right. The 3-guitar combo is the best, no doubt.

Sometimes there are only 2 or 3 guitars at the same time, not all of them...

You mean the studio version? If so, yes, that was Bucket. He plays the same lick at 2:27. The licks at 2:35 and 2:42 are Ron's.

Bucket's usually on the left, Ron's usually on the right. Bucket's weird riffs and licks are easy to recognize. Sure Bumble also plays unusual licks and all but Bucket's tone is a lot different from Ron's, so either way it's easy to recognize. Robin on the right, Paul on the left...

(I'm talking about Chinese, not live. Live DJ gets the right channel, Rich the left and Ron the center - at least judging by the Vegas show...)

Because each player have a different tone, pattern and style. Its not 100% guarantee, but it's pretty much accurate for the most part.

Chinese Democracy is probably the most straight up rock and roll song on the album. Shackler's Revenge, Better, Scraped, Riad and I.R.S. had a lot more going on. You have like five different guitarists playing on there, but in a live setting three can easily do it, just have Ron doing Buckets parts, DJ doing Robin and Fortus doing Paul's. When I saw there are like five players on the title song it didn't sound like there were five.

Bucket parts weren't done by Pitman. Its just some fast notes using a whammy, I assume.

And Riad have way less stuff going on than Chinese. The most straight foward song of those IMO is Shacklers - there's only some keys here and there in the bridge and in a very low layer in the background, the rest is all guitars exploding - and Riad. There's a funky wah rhythm guitar in Riad below the regular rhythm guitars layers that many think is some kind of keys., I dunno.

But Chinese don't have all 5 guitar players at the same time in the song. There are some tidbits here and there. I think the verses are Paul Tobias and Robin with Ron adding his fretless riffs and Bucket doing a very subtle killswitch hammering notes. Then, the power chords appears and we have Richard instead of Tobias and Bucket only doing the fast licks.

Paul is credited as guitar on a lot of the songs, including Chinese, along with Fortus and Paul did not play on Shacklers, Scraped, Sorry and TIL. Fortus recited credit for Chinese, Better, SOD, TWAT and Prostiute. Fortus played rythm tracks along with Paul, Ron and Robin. I don't think it is possible to tell between Fortus and Paul since they played the same notes, maybe Fortus layed some guitar over Paul's or something. We all knows Rich has more chops than Paul but Paul recorded in a studio in several takes and the best takes were pieced together.

As for Riad the rythmn parts were done by Ron, Buckethead, Robin and Paul. If Robin and Paul are on the left, you can tell who's who but Paul seems to be good at mimicking.

I like the "oh my salvation" part. If that was looped for 2 minutes I'd be happy. But the rest is meh, although I don't think it's the worst on the album. In my opinion it's Scraped. It seems to get a lot of love but I don't get it. Music sounds like a bucket solo song and axl's lyrics are corny.

I like the "oh my salvation" part. If that was looped for 2 minutes I'd be happy. But the rest is meh, although I don't think it's the worst on the album. In my opinion it's Scraped. It seems to get a lot of love but I don't get it. Music sounds like a bucket solo song and axl's lyrics are corny.

Scraped's guitar solo was also done by Ron.

I don't think it is possible to tell between Fortus and Paul since they played the same notes, maybe Fortus layed some guitar over Paul's or something. We all knows Rich has more chops than Paul but Paul recorded in a studio in several takes and the best takes were pieced together.

They don't jsut play "the same notes". There's maybe some guitars layered in Chinese placed togheter, but there's some subtle differences such as in IRS, where Richard plays the overdriven guitar while Paul plays some "wet" guitar with chorus/flanger stomp.

And Paul isn't half as bad as people (we know who) portrait him. Specially when he just plays rhythm guitar most of the times.

As for Riad the rythmn parts were done by Ron, Buckethead, Robin and Paul. If Robin and Paul are on the left, you can tell who's who but Paul seems to be good at mimicking.

You can listen to the Antiquiet demo and hear very clear Robin in the right channel and Paul in the left, although there's some funky wah guitars by Robin going on also in the right after the 1st chorus. Bucket's rhythm is very much just doubling Paul's guitars.