What hell is wrong with his voice ?

realpoti

He sounded absolutely amazing. Who would have guessed that at age 50 his wild banshee wail would sound largely undiminished?

I get the whole trying to defend at all costs, but this is just delusional, he does not sound absolutely amazing at the moment, and you gotta say his wild banshee wail is largely diminished.

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: Oh, the idiots!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sounded absolutely amazing. Who would have guessed that at age 50 his wild banshee wail would sound largely undiminished?

I get the whole trying to defend at all costs, but this is just delusional, he does not sound absolutely amazing at the moment, and you gotta say his wild banshee wail is largely diminished.

You guys do realize that was quote from a journalist at rolling stone magazine.

So yea, I don't think a journalist at rolling stone is trying to defend axl at all costs...

Who would have guessed that at 48 (2010) Axl would sound at his best ever and a year or so later, sounded like half the man he used to be? :confused::shrugs:

All the reviews I have seen from people actually being at the shows have been praising his voice, and fans who have followed GN'R from the start has mentioned that they'd never heard him as great as at the Ritz show...

Let's face it: Axl's voice have never been consistently good, not now in 2012 nor back in the heydays. There's always been nights when it's been off at certain songs or places. And the mix from the live streams really amplifies any mistakes or weaknesses. If you really want to judge his voice and how it fits with the music and the show in general, you have to focus on reviews from people at the shows. And at least not on people here judging him from selected shows with bad mixes.

All the reviews I have seen from people actually being at the shows have been praising his voice, and fans who have followed GN'R from the start has mentioned that they'd never heard him as great as at the Ritz show...

I've seen him in 2010 and 2011. His 2011 voice was nowhere near his 2010 voice.

Was it bad?

Hopefully they record somethin while his.voice is still somewhat recognizable.

That's EXACTLY what I thought after the horrible Ritz 88 show! Nah, not really, but the analogy fits.

His voice is not recognizable? Here's a few quotes for ya from recent newspaper reviews:

Detroit, while sick: Even if he was feeling "drowned in the gutter," Rose rose to the occasion, his larger-the-life Rock Star persona even more pronounced in the smaller environs and his vocal swoops and banshee wails intact, if a bit hoarse at times.

Rose tweeted early in the day he was "sick as a dogg!!," and his voice — particularly the high-end — seemed especially shaky during the show. There were times when he went to sing and nothing at all came out, and still other times — such as "Nightrain" — when he was in solid form.

Ritz: Axl, ever the showman, was as good as ever, his voice having lost none of its unmistakable stuttering, yowling tone.

His voice got sounded powerful and moving in both his lower-register gear and his near-falsetto caterwauls, and appeared to get stronger as the evening wore on.

As far as Axl Rose, the difference between now and the old days is that he seems sincerely grateful for the band and the audience they have earned. Together, the current GN’R members embrace Axl’s vision, rather than fight against it, and the fans that see past the absence of Slash and Duff are being rewarded with one of the best live attractions to take any stage. The quality of future studio material may decide whether or not this lineup of Guns N Roses reaches the heights of popularity enjoyed in their early years. But as long as Axl Rose’s voice stays as strong, the audiences will keep on growing.

It seems like guys at the concerts definitely recognizes his voice...

It's silly to think that his voice is not good enough for the studio, as I mentioned before, during parts of this tour his voice has been close to as good as ever. His range is not apparently reduced, he can bring out the rasp when needed, he can add more vibrato than during his early career, and his tone control is still great. No worries. He has ALWAYS had bad shows, or bad songs, the fact that it is still like this in 2012 does still not mean he can't perform in the studio.

Edited by SoulMonster

Was it bad?

His voice just sounded tired to me in 2011 when I saw him in Van. It was bad when I compare it to the shows I saw the year before. I just wish he'd rest it until he gets over whatever is stopping him from singing the way he did in 2010.

Edited by ITW 2012

'As far as Axl Rose, the difference between now and the old days is that he seems sincerely grateful for the band and the audience they have earned. Together, the current GN’R members embrace Axl’s vision, rather than fight against it, and the fans that see past the absence of Slash and Duff are being rewarded with one of the best live attractions to take any stage. The quality of future studio material may decide whether or not this lineup of Guns N Roses reaches the heights of popularity enjoyed in their early years. But as long as Axl Rose’s voice stays as strong, the audiences will keep on growing.'

great paragraph :thumbsup:

Hopefully they record somethin while his.voice is still somewhat recognizable.

That's EXACTLY what I thought after the horrible Ritz 88 show! Nah, not really, but the analogy fits.

His voice is not recognizable? Here's a few quotes for ya from recent newspaper reviews:

Detroit, while sick: Even if he was feeling "drowned in the gutter," Rose rose to the occasion, his larger-the-life Rock Star persona even more pronounced in the smaller environs and his vocal swoops and banshee wails intact, if a bit hoarse at times.

Rose tweeted early in the day he was "sick as a dogg!!," and his voice — particularly the high-end — seemed especially shaky during the show. There were times when he went to sing and nothing at all came out, and still other times — such as "Nightrain" — when he was in solid form.

Ritz: Axl, ever the showman, was as good as ever, his voice having lost none of its unmistakable stuttering, yowling tone.

His voice got sounded powerful and moving in both his lower-register gear and his near-falsetto caterwauls, and appeared to get stronger as the evening wore on.

As far as Axl Rose, the difference between now and the old days is that he seems sincerely grateful for the band and the audience they have earned. Together, the current GN’R members embrace Axl’s vision, rather than fight against it, and the fans that see past the absence of Slash and Duff are being rewarded with one of the best live attractions to take any stage. The quality of future studio material may decide whether or not this lineup of Guns N Roses reaches the heights of popularity enjoyed in their early years. But as long as Axl Rose’s voice stays as strong, the audiences will keep on growing.

It seems like guys at the concerts definitely recognizes his voice...

It's silly to think that his voice is not good enough for the studio, as I mentioned before, during parts of this tour his voice has been close to as good as ever. His range is not apparently reduced, he can bring out the rasp when needed, he can add more vibrato than during his early career, and his tone control is still great. No worries. He has ALWAYS had bad shows, or bad songs, the fact that it is still like this in 2012 does still not mean he can't perform in the studio.

You copied wat I said then misquoted me. I said he should record while his voice is still sumwhat recognizable. He still sounds like axl most of the time. Other times its weak and Mickey mouse like.

You copied wat I said then misquoted me. I said he should record while his voice is still sumwhat recognizable. He still sounds like axl most of the time. Other times its weak and Mickey mouse like.

You believe it is about to become completely unrecognisable? The quotes I gave suggest otherwise... And you think quality of voice at live shows when singing 3 hour shows are identical to voice quality while in a studio setting?

Axl's voice will be golden in the studio, have no fear.

it wasn't golden on the last one, even with endless overdubs and all the time in the world, you were left with a sense of "THAT was the best take?" :shrugs:

There weren't that many vocal takes to begin with.

I remember reading an article with an engineer who worked with Axl on recording his vocals and he didn't do that many takes to begin with. Kinda flies in the face of all that perfectionist talk :shrugs:

Ali

Maybe not on Scraped, the whole album lacks cohesion in that regard but is part of it's bizarre charm, you can tell they were all meshed together at different times, a little like a trippy jigsaw. TWAT, Riad, This I Love, Street of Dreams, Prostitute and If The World are flawless, wouldn't touch them again, Catcher is slowly becoming one of my favourite tracks of all time, parts of the vocals sound like they could do a little more but the overall vibe is enticing enough, I think it's a great album vocally, which you'd expect from Axl anyway and the ten plus years putting things together. Definitely a maturation and stands up to his past work easily imo.

it wasn't golden on the last one, even with endless overdubs and all the time in the world, you were left with a sense of "THAT was the best take?" :shrugs:

I remember reading an article with an engineer who worked with Axl on recording his vocals and he didn't do that many takes to begin with. Kinda flies in the face of all that perfectionist talk :shrugs:

Ali

People would prefer to believe negative rumors than to see the truth,and have to admit they were wrong.

Ali

People would prefer to believe negative rumors than to see the truth,and have to admit they were wrong.

That's true. But, check this out. This is what I was referring to.

http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=1895

"He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up.' "

Ali

its like painting a picture. where do you draw the line. there comes a point where to can look at something for too long and loose all judgement. Chinese Democracy sounds like layer upon layer upon layer. Sections start, sections stop. Bits fade in, bits fade out. Old parts, mixed with new. There times it sounds like Axl recorded a vocal in 1999, only to add a bit more vocal to the same song 5 years down the line. Adding Frank to the mix at the last minute goes to show just how unsure Axl was, and maybe reach a point where he had no idea what finished stood for. I still think the album was released before Axl was through with it. I also get the impression Axl could have put in another 10 years worth of work on it.

Ali

That's true. But, check this out. This is what I was referring to.

http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=1895

"He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up.' "

Ali

I've read that, its a shame so many negative idiots seem to gravitate to GNR forums,heard you had a doppleganger show up while I was away. What in the hell is wrong with people?

Props,Ali- wish more were as competently coherent as you. :thumbsup:

Adding Frank to the mix at the last minute goes to show just how unsure Axl was, and maybe reach a point where he had no idea what finished stood for. I still think the album was released before Axl was through with it. I also get the impression Axl could have put in another 10 years worth of work on it.

it was starting to become kind of like tattooing over scar tissue... the original canvas was just hamburger by this point.