What hell is wrong with his voice ?

realpoti

I'm not a big fan of Axl's vocals on most of the Chinese Democracy songs.

There were many times from 2006-now where he sang the songs with the power that lacked on the album.

Yeah that is my main issue with the album is that by the time the album came out the vocal takes were from so long ago that is wasn't a true representation of Axl at that point in time - which was more powerful evidenced by the 06 tour and the Angel Down tracks

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl was sick as a dog in Detroit and sang Jungle better than he does on AFD.

Deal with it haters.

That's true. But, check this out. This is what I was referring to.

http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=1895

"He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up.' "

Ali

That article was written in November of 2012!?

Edited by Sweersa

Deal with it haters.

That's right rock3

"He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up.' "

Ali

:rofl-lol: Looks like BIG FAIL

Deal with it haters.

That's right rock3

Ali

:rofl-lol: Looks like BIG FAIL

If you actually scrolled down, either one of you, and saw the dates when comments were posted, you would see the article was written in 2008. How's this for an alternative link. Not the full article, put proof of when it was published.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109664

:rolleyes:

Ali

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of the "haters" of Axl's 2011/2012 Mickey-Mouse alike voice, but since the Philly show Axl's voice if finally starting to improve and the rasp is back at some ranges where it used to be just 'mickey mouse' stuff a few weeks ago. Kudos to Axl for improving his vocals and now just keep getting better each show. Maybe we'll have a 2010 alike form by the summer festivals....who knows!? :rolleyes:

Just check out this brilliant performance @Philly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUCrHW5PfuY&feature=channel

He sounded absolutely amazing. Who would have guessed that at age 50 his wild banshee wail would sound largely undiminished?

I get the whole trying to defend at all costs, but this is just delusional, he does not sound absolutely amazing at the moment, and you gotta say his wild banshee wail is largely diminished.

You guys do realize that was quote from a journalist at rolling stone magazine.

So yea, I don't think a journalist at rolling stone is trying to defend axl at all costs...

Agreed,Rolling Stone has printed some pretty hostile articles on several occasions.

I'm one of the "haters" of Axl's 2011/2012 Mickey-Mouse alike voice, but since the Philly show Axl's voice if finally starting to improve and the rasp is back at some ranges where it used to be just 'mickey mouse' stuff a few weeks ago. Kudos to Axl for improving his vocals and now just keep getting better each show. Maybe we'll have a 2010 alike form by the summer festivals....who knows!? :rolleyes:

This performance is phenomenal!!

Nice one, Axl!!

that was brilliat,

his voice is getting better again for a while it wasnt as good but he sounds awesome now.

I think there's a strong tendency of GN'R fans becoming overly dramatic about all things Axl. How many times has there been an outcry that Axl has lost his voice and the end is near even with demands that he should retire.

The fact is that Axl goes through ups and downs like any human being. Being sick or coming back from a break means that he wont be on top of his game for a few shows. That's not the end of the world. He obviously didn't earn his place as one of the greatest rock singers of all time by having low standards so he tends to return with great performances, drawing inspiration from those who write him off to kick some more butt.

I think the emphasis on rasp is excessive. If Axl was rasping up every single note he'd be a one-dimensional singer and he never was as a studio artist so why should he be live?

that was brilliat,

his voice is getting better again for a while it wasnt as good but he sounds awesome now.

I dont get it... This performance is incredible, totally insane. Axl's actual voice is a mistery to me, i dont know the reason of the "Michey voice". But i really enjoy this performance.

that was brilliat,

I dont get it... This performance is incredible, totally insane. Axl's actual voice is a mistery to me, i dont know the reason of the "Michey voice". But i really enjoy this performance.

Wonderful! smiley-happy035.gif

Edited by Saphyra

Axl's voice live right now is in top form.

Judging off of cell phone recordings posted on YouTube is silly.

I know we can put members on ignore......but can we put an ignore feature on specific words? I would like to ban the words rasp and mickey mouse from ever showing up in a post that I read.

Edited by Groghan

I know we can put members on ignore......but can we put an ignore feature on specific words? I would like to ban the words rasp and mickey mouse from ever showing up in a post that I read.

And what about 'Nutter(s)'? hahaha jk :tongue2:

And what about 'Nutter(s)'? hahaha jk :tongue2:

The funny thing is that I used to be called a Nutter.

I know it is a silly term. But there are some people in here that worship Axl so much that they lose track of reality. Axl is my favorite singer of all time. Heck, I named my dog Axl. But I don't think he is a God and I can look at his career and actions objectively.....and that has turned me from a Nutter to a hater!

There are actually posters on here saying its better that Axl has only released one album since the old band split up, than following the path of bands that release albums every couple years. Because that shows that Axl has integrity and isn't a sell out. And a sell out is apparently a band that gives their FANS the music that they want to hear. So in the world of Nutterville, one album by your favorite band is better than 5 albums by your favorite band. It is insane.

Another word that should be banned, or at least not used so frequently.....epic. Epic got attached to Nov rain and estranged, so now for all eternity epic will be used with GnR songs.

The funny thing is that I used to be called a Nutter.

I know it is a silly term. But there are some people in here that worship Axl so much that they lose track of reality. Axl is my favorite singer of all time. Heck, I named my dog Axl. But I don't think he is a God and I can look at his career and actions objectively.....and that has turned me from a Nutter to a hater!

There are actually posters on here saying its better that Axl has only released one album since the old band split up, than following the path of bands that release albums every couple years. Because that shows that Axl has integrity and isn't a sell out. And a sell out is apparently a band that gives their FANS the music that they want to hear. So in the world of Nutterville, one album by your favorite band is better than 5 albums by your favorite band. It is insane.

Another word that should be banned, or at least not used so frequently.....epic. Epic got attached to Nov rain and estranged, so now for all eternity epic will be used with GnR songs.

Groghan, is your favorite song Out Ta Get Me by any chance? I mean...

There's not a single person on this board who thinks everything went as well as it possibly could since the old band broke up. Everyone here would have loved to have 5 albums of Chinese Democracy's caliber (or, for those who aren't fans of the album, 5 of one as good as they hoped for). But the group of people disagreeing with you are disagreeing not because they're insane aliens who want GNR to fall short of their potential, or because they have anything in particular against you personally, but because they are content with getting what they get. We'd all more than welcome new albums, new setlists, a reunion, or whatever else our personal dreams for them are. But we aren't holding it against Guns for failing to meet our own individual desires, and we're supporting and enjoying what they actually choose to do.

So...please just relax and realize there really is no Nutville on this forum and that most other people here ARE looking the band objectively as well - just with different values and perspective from your own.

Edited by Flayer

that was brilliat,

part of the reason that song always sounds so good live is that, due to the laidback, slower nature of the song, it provides axl ample time to suck in some air before each verse or whatever. unlike some of the faster-paced songs, he's able to properly utilize his voice - and because he isn't running around the stage as he does during the faster songs, he also doesn't run out of wind as quickly.

i think axl in general would sound a lot better on slower songs, and if he didn't move around stage as much (just check out download '06 or the dublin show from a year or two ago where he stood still the whole time) - but that would definitely be a drawback to the energy he brings to his showmanship.