What hell is wrong with his voice ?

realpoti

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to put all my money on this:

Axl will sound like he did in 2010 once he gets back to Europe.

Other than that I agree on the OP, Axl sounds bad on most of the songs lately.

Only songs that stand out most of the time are Jungle, Nightrain and Madagascar.

I think Civil War sounds good most of the time as well.

Anyway as for the 2010 voice, thats a tough one. I mean he clearly CAN still whack out those powerful raspy notes, take KOHD scream as a cracking example and he still has that 2010 tone in the locker, but I think Axl just can't hold it for very long anymore. Whether thats from wear and tear or illness or even just through choice, who knows!

Two very good posts.

Bunch of friggin' drama queens. He was really off in a few songs. Mainly RQ, YCBM, DC and most of NR. About the rest, nothing to complain about other than "OMG he got no rasp". Of course, it would help it if he rehearsed and dedicated himself to preparing for the tour... But you just can't expect him to sound however he likes whenever he likes. Some people age better than others.

it would help it if he rehearsed and dedicated himself to preparing for the tour.............. I think that's all anybody Is asking of him. But rehearse and dedication are bad words to Axl.

Do you know what he's doing in his spare time? I really can't take you people talking about his need for "dedication" seriously.

No I don't and neither do you. I can tell you It's not singing or he wouldn't sound like he does. He would sound more like he did In 2010, and what do you mean you can't take It?

^ Didn't miss anything.

No, he doesn't sound like 2010. In the end though, so what?

What do you mean so what? The whole point of this entire thread Is What Is wrong with his voice. Most people think he sounded much better In 2010 and we as fans would like to see him do whatever Is neccesary to get his voice back.

Those fortunate enough to have gone to a gig in 2010 (myself included) will always cherish the incredible vocal performance back then from Axl - it was really out of this world.

For those who didn't, 2011/12 although a far cry from 2010, for sure will still be a great show to attend. I still would if I had the chance.

What makes me almost cry is that there's no pro-shot recorded shows from 2010 except for a few songs in Reading. :shrugs:

I'm sorry but he sounds like shit in that stream almost Rio 2011 bad .... now you can point the finger at the mix the soundman, or whoever the hell you want but at the end of the day his voice since 2011 has been lacking, sure there are moments of brilliance and the Axl of old but for the most part this sounds strained and his voice quickly transfers back to a high pitched often out of tune weak squeak that to be honest is painful to listen too. I don't know what has transpired over the past couple of years but it must be some illness/infection of some description which is effecting his vocals. I'm one of the biggest GN'R fans you are likely to find but I have to admit that right now Axl's vocals are the achilles heal in an otherwise great show.

"Fuck off you stupid twats who can't deal with people discussing the singer's voice. It's not bashing or bitching. To the idiotic spunk buckets who keep saying 'he's 50 give him a break': he was 48 a year and a half ago when he sounded almost as good as ever so don't tell us there's nothing to discuss! Fucking shit for brains turdmouths. "

I couldn't agree with you anymore. Arrogant cunts that think he sounds good on this 11-12 tour need ttheir ears checked.

"Fuck off you stupid twats who can't deal with people discussing the singer's voice. It's not bashing or bitching. To the idiotic spunk buckets who keep saying 'he's 50 give him a break': he was 48 a year and a half ago when he sounded almost as good as ever so don't tell us there's nothing to discuss! Fucking shit for brains turdmouths. "

I couldn't agree with you anymore. Arrogant cunts that think he sounds good on this 11-12 tour need ttheir ears checked.

Sometimes it is the feed, sometimes it is shit speakers, sometimes it is that Axl's voice is burning out.

I noticed that after he takes his oxygen he becomes super mickey moused and then starts leveling off like last night. Plus last night it appeared that he was having throat issues. Constant touring can take a lot out of a person as they get older. Perhaps maybe scheduling shows a little further apart might help too or cut down on the set list.

Sometimes it is the feed, sometimes it is shit speakers, sometimes it is that Axl's voice is burning out.

I noticed that after he takes his oxygen he becomes super mickey moused and then starts leveling off like last night. Plus last night it appeared that he was having throat issues. Constant touring can take a lot out of a person as they get older. Perhaps maybe scheduling shows a little further apart might help too or cut down on the set list.

But when you get the actual feed coming through the mic, its hard to argue against it.

The touring aspect also. He was out on the road for ages in 2010 and he simply got stronger and stronger!

Here's the deal: HE IS SAVING HIS FUCKING VOICE.

Want an example? Look at the clips that just came up from the secret Hiro Ballroom show in NYC on 16 February. Check this link out and listen to the first clip at least: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170019

There's your classic Axl/2010 voice etc.

Now is it cool that he is giving it his all for celebrities and not for the general fans? Well, it sucks, but he probably has his reasons.

Bottom line, the dude can still do it, so let's stop questioning whether he can or not and start questioning why.

Want an example? Look at the clips that just came up from the secret Hiro Ballroom show in NYC on 16 February. Check this link out and listen to the first clip at least: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170019

Now is it cool that he is giving it his all for celebrities and not for the general fans? Well, it sucks, but he probably has his reasons.

Bottom line, the dude can still do it, so let's stop questioning whether he can or not and start questioning why.

His job Is to perform, like any athlete, performer,professional or any regular Joe Blow. You don't go to work and the boss ask you to move some heavy boxes and tell him you can only move half of them, or a few of them because you are saving your strength. Is he saving It for a rainy day?

What!? :confused:

In the same gig, just watch Estranged, Rocket Queen, Paradise City and you'll see his voice "sucks" again - so it's not a one-time gig thing...

And then why would he be saving his voice, if he handled just fucking fine the whole 09/10 world tour!? If anything his voice just got better and better every show.

Edited by trqster

He must be saving it. I don't know why, and probably only he and his doctor do.

I don't get it because he sang the whole 2010 tour in a stunning voice without any problems, that we could see. But maybe there were problems.

I just think at this point people need to get over the question over whether he "can" do it, because we know he can, and accept the fact that he is saving his voice for a good reason. Why else would he save it? Then again, why would he save it at Rio, where there was a huge audience watching him around the world?

Fuck, maybe it comes down to his own personal motivation. Maybe he is just not into it enough sometimes and he can't get his voice going. Might be a mental problem entirely.

What!? :confused:

In the same gig, just watch Estranged, Rocket Queen, Paradise City and you'll see his voice "sucks" again - so it's not a one-time gig thing...

And then why would he be saving his voice, if he handled just fucking fine the whole 09/10 world tour!? If anything his voice just got better and better every show.

I haven't gotten to the other songs, but he sounded great on Estranged. And from all the other songs I have heard, he voice sounded classic badass shredding Axl.

I don't consider clean voice as "sucking". There's a certain allowable and even welcomed amount of clean voice, and I wouldn't consider his use of it at times as "saving" his voice.

Anyone who thinks it's arrogance to think he's sounded good on this most recent round of touring needs to look up the definition of "arrogant" and possibly have an IQ test.

Ali

Bunch of friggin' drama queens. He was really off in a few songs. Mainly RQ, YCBM, DC and most of NR. About the rest, nothing to complain about other than "OMG he got no rasp". Of course, it would help it if he rehearsed and dedicated himself to preparing for the tour... But you just can't expect him to sound however he likes whenever he likes. Some people age better than others. I'm content with live at the forum Axl. You want something to complain about? concentrate on the fact they don't really seem to have a new album in plans for now. That's something to complain about.

Yeah, I think you're being overly dramatic and broad in your critique there. The voice is not like other instruments. How your voice sounds is not just a product of preparation and practice vocally. What you eat, how much you sleep, the weather and your health can all affect your vocal cords.

He sounded better at RIR back in september...

He should be grateful for his musicians because with lesser people it would be a complete disaster.

:rolleyes::shrugs:

Uh, no. Not even close.

Ali

Edited by Ali