Autograph dealers after Axl again

Saphyra

Im comparing them because they are both ruining music albeit in different ways. File sharing is making it impossible for bands to release an album, you are right though not capitalist. Autograph sellers, I would say its not that serious but it goes further to destroying the relationship between band and fan.

I understand your point now, thanks for clarifying.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not a scam because they are supplying a market that exists. But they are in the same as people who rip off music through file sharing. They are making money or ripping off music and musicians without creating or purchasing anything. And eventually thats going to fuck it all up for everyone. Basically Capitalists with no consideration for anything other than making themselves a bit of money.

You are comparing internet pirates to people who sell autographs? Damn.

File sharing has nothing to do with capitalism, selling autographs does. If anything...file sharing is communism. lol

There are a lot of licensed people that sell authentic autographs.

I have an autographed 8x10 photograph of the entire AFD lineup I purchased from a guy who bought it from a dealer. Framed with a COA. Legit, and a great wall piece.

I'm not going to track down all of the people I want autographs from. I'm comfortable here, mostly naked in front of my computer paying people to do the dirty work for me. Muhahaha.

Im comparing them because they are both ruining music albeit in different ways. File sharing is making it impossible for bands to release an album, you are right though not capitalist. Autograph sellers, I would say its not that serious but it goes further to destroying the relationship between band and fan.

I totally agree there. That's my biggest issue here - I didn't get to meet Frank or Richard at all because the dealers hogged all the space in front of them for the brief moments they were signing.

Though Sweersa, I totally see what you mean. Most of my autographs I get through the mail, and a set that'd be impossible to put together right now - like the full AFD line-up - I would consider buying. There's no question, though: I love any in-person autograph I have more than any non-person auto I have. I now have 2 Dj Ashba autographs, one in person and one from a Newbury Comics promo (CD booklet signed by all of Sixx:AM), and this one woulda been the favorite even without Axl to top it off. Meeting the person is always better, and the dealers make it harder, sometimes to the point of driving someone like Axl to seriously limit how often he'll sign.

I have never understood the prospect of buying autographs. I only care about them if I get it in person because then it would have a personal connection that would make the autograph special to me.

Its not a scam because they are supplying a market that exists. But they are in the same as people who rip off music through file sharing. They are making money or ripping off music and musicians without creating or purchasing anything. And eventually thats going to fuck it all up for everyone. Basically Capitalists with no consideration for anything other than making themselves a bit of money.

You are comparing internet pirates to people who sell autographs? Damn.

File sharing has nothing to do with capitalism, selling autographs does. If anything...file sharing is communism. lol

There are a lot of licensed people that sell authentic autographs.

I have an autographed 8x10 photograph of the entire AFD lineup I purchased from a guy who bought it from a dealer. Framed with a COA. Legit, and a great wall piece.

I'm not going to track down all of the people I want autographs from. I'm comfortable here, mostly naked in front of my computer paying people to do the dirty work for me. Muhahaha.

Can you explain to me how the COA proves it is a genuine autograph from the person? Unless you actually saw them signing the item how do you know it isn't carefully copied?

Can you explain to me how the COA proves it is a genuine autograph from the person? Unless you actually saw them signing the item how do you know it isn't carefully copied?

Paperwork is more valuable than you seeing yourself the person signing it as far as value goes. (aside from the sentimental value it has to you, which I understand makes it priceless) Who's going to believe your story with no paperwork vs. a COA from a reputable company/dealer if you were to ever want to sell it?

Ask any pawn broker. Papers are gold when it comes to items that are often faked.

432053_2948846877563_1153050082_32805266_544322357_n.jpg

Hey nice Axl signature,but who are the other dudes on that picture ?

Dj Ashba is the signature over Richard Fortus (not sure why he signed it there, must have just been signing where was easiest) and the one on the right is Bumble.

Paperwork is more valuable than you seeing yourself the person signing it as far as value goes. (aside from the sentimental value it has to you, which I understand makes it priceless) Who's going to believe your story with no paperwork vs. a COA from a reputable company/dealer if you were to ever want to sell it?

Ask any pawn broker. Papers are gold when it comes to items that are often faked.

Ok thanks. I've often seen this COA & wondered how it worked.

It really doesn't mean anything to me as I wouldn't buy or sell an autograph, as you say its the sentimental value of meeting someone & getting their autograph which is priceless. It's good that Fernando recognises them & as someone said, maybe only allow one signature per person.

Ok thanks. I've often seen this COA & wondered how it worked.

It really doesn't mean anything to me as I wouldn't buy or sell an autograph, as you say its the sentimental value of meeting someone & getting their autograph which is priceless. It's good that Fernando recognises them & as someone said, maybe only allow one signature per person.

No problem, I agree that meeting the person is the absolute best experience. I met Bumblefoot in Detroit before the show last month and he signed my ticket. :) That's all I had on hand for him to sign. No camera either, but it was still awesome!

I wasn't sure what to say, so I told him i liked his hat, which I did. lol

WHAT ASSHOLES. I commented this on the video:

"Thanks for stopping me from getting more of the band, guys. Richard Fortus is my favorite guitar player, and I couldn't meet him because every autograph he signed was for you animals. Thanks for ruining a good thing for the real fans."

They then responded:

"Thats a shame. Richard Fortus is your favorite guitar player? I went to the show. If you want his signature you can buy one on Ebay."

I don't want the fucking autograph off eBay, I want a quick convo, handshake, and experience of meeting a musician I waited a god damn decade to see live. I couldn't, though, because every fucking thing he signed was a fucking drumhead or one of these guys 7 vinyls of CD. Fuck them, it's just a business. No appreciation for the people they interact with. I'd almost be willing to undo the autograph I did get from Axl to see him fucking unload and beat the shit out of these guys.

I see your comment has been removed along with all the comments I've put on their videos. So all the dislikes now look Axl haters, rather than dislike for what these people are ruining for the real fans.

Seriously, who buys this shit? I don't get how buying a signature is even a thing. How is there a market for it? Meeting people in person and having them sign something for you personally is way better than buying something that was signed for some cock with a video camera.

God, these guys are gonna kill the little opportunity I have to get an autograph from Axl. He's gonna be like "Get off my way you fuckin' eBayer" and I'll be thinking "but I'm not :(".

Maybe, but 25 years of signing things for people, I think he knows the difference. I think with what you read in the forums, know what to do, what not to do.

Edited by dalsh327

God, these guys are gonna kill the little opportunity I have to get an autograph from Axl. He's gonna be like "Get off my way you fuckin' eBayer" and I'll be thinking "but I'm not :(".

Maybe, but 25 years of signing things for people, I think he knows the difference. I think with what you read in the forums, know what to do, what not to do.

Agreed, especially if you're getting a ticket or something like that signed. They are handing over guitars, albums (which I presume you don't take to concerts) whereas the real fans tend to grab anything for a signature as usually they are unprepared.

Also the ebayers are so in the face of these performers, don't give up whereas the fans will stand back a little in awe so hopefully he can tell who is shy and who is pushy.

I saw autographs being bought for hundreds of dollars, very disappointed.

I realize that with fame n' fortune the inevitable fans would strive asking for an autograph it two

What shits all over the fans,the band is the "collectors" that can and do sell the autographs on fucking Ebay,I've glanced at that site,and it is full of recent autographs.

Imo ,these so-called fans don't care who they push around to obtain their cash-cow to list on ebay the next day

The market whacked,auto-crappy idiots has undobtedly made $$ on these autographs has flooded the market overexposute is never a good thing.

Explain to me why signatures of celebrities are something anybody would purchase?

I understand why somebody would want a letter written by Abe Lincoln or song lyrics scribbled on a napkin by Bob Dylan or a love letter signed by Jimi Hendrix.....but a random autograph? I've never gotten why people freak out about that.

I'd rather meet Axl, shake his hand and have a 30 second conversation. Him signing a piece of paper......that just seems weird.

There's nothing wrong with autographs and it's not weird at all as a souvenier that you met somebody you admire a great deal. That's just the point though, it's all about meeting somebody and personally asking them for an autograph. Buying it makes no sense to me at all cos there's nothing special about that at all.

Really when it comes down to ebayers and performers, it's a 50/50 playing field. I agree that ebayers have ruined it for fans, but in this day and age, I'm not going to be down on somebody to make a living( if selling on eBay is there thing). A buck is a buck. You can't tell me that whoever is signing, doesn't know that whatever they are signing is gonna end up online. Do you think they really care? As long as you buy there merchandise and go to the shows, who cares? I much rather have a picture than a autograph any day of the week. It's worth more to me.

I will tell you a good way to prevent ebayers from getting autos and I wish every famous would do this if they sign. I'm a big collector of wrestling autos so this is my experience. A WWE wrestler Sheamus- will personalize every single auto he does and then part of the S in his name will go through the personalization. So if you try to erase it, you ruin the autograph all together. It's worthless. Most performers are in a rush and don't want to bother with personalization. This is a easy way to stop ebayers.