Why are New GNR putting in so much effort to promote these Vegas shows?

Randy Lahey

the promo for CD is going in reverse. They released the video after the tour and then went Kimmel to promo the tour that just finished. now they will unveil and showcase CD in Vegas. Then they put out If The World as a video after the Vegas shows and it will go No. 1.

I just think they are just having fun now, promoing GNR rather than CD specifically, the pressure is off and Fun Times is coming.

CD was just to promote CD II.

It is starting to seem as if Axl's finally escaped China and found his way back to Margaritaville.

I see the current line up playing the Titty Twister every night. It's seems much more of a fun comics type band than the twisted darkness of Bucket and Finck.

Edited by wasted

It's surprising that the media is being so friendly, letting GNR take over. A corner must have been turned at some point. Maybe the Axl the asshole story has got boring after 20 years. It must be Team Brazil. They've done great.

Whatever the reasons for promoting these Vegas shows as much as they are. I find it a shame that the same focus, and band togetherness wasn't present during the release of CD. That was THE record that the world was waiting for, and the lack of care or effort given to it by the band was shocking, whatever the cause.

Edited by One.In.A.Million

The media were out for blood. It was an intense situation and pretty negative. It was really hard for the mainstream media to find a way to paint Axl and CD in a good light. The Best Buy deal has the same fun elements, and so did the Dr. Pepper marketing thing. But there were dark forces at work. There just wasn't any support of the record or that band. You need people to back you and you need label money. Without the 7 million bucks for a video and money to oil the wheels you can want to do a great job and still look like you did nothing.

Probably right now because there isn't that money around, maybe a band like GNR that has a fan base and is self propelled to large degree or has been. maybe now the cream rises to the top. You can't buy GNR fans, you can't really fake it live. They deliver a great show, Axl's makes great records. It's like it's happening without the industry's permission, or the media's permission anyway. So now they are jumping on board and making some money out of it by selling papers or tv shows. But it's taken a decade to get to this point.

Whatever the reasons for promoting these Vegas shows as much as they are. I find it a shame that the same focus, and band togetherness wasn't present during the release of CD. That was THE record that the world was waiting for, and the lack of care or effort given to it by the band was shocking, whatever the cause.

True that. But I don't think that the sole reason that CD flopped was lack of promotion.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Promotion is also part of big time album releases, but you didn't see Axl go on Jimmy Kimmel to promote Chinese Democracy.

Axl didn’t believe in the marketing plan laid out for CD. And rightly so as it became clear in the aftermath the entire episode was contrived by label figures such as Azoff to lull Rose into their desires. Whereas with Team Brazil Axl is clearly enthusiastic about the transparency and credibility of their plans. And is thus fully participating.

I am not sure why some people feel it is a negative thing or for bad tickets sales behind the reason they are doing the press. All other bands/artists do this type of promotion for anything new they have on the horizon. Given GNR have not done any of this in the last decade or so it is surprising, but also great! We should all be thrilled we get to see them more and they are being regarded in the press positively and being taken seriously again. Also all this press and special tours and shows started happening when Team Brazil took over, this is not a coincidence! Axl seems to actually trust his management now to make good deals and book shows/press, it seems to make all the difference!