I think people are underestimating the effect losing Robin had on Axl

evergreen_layne

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It prob effected the label too. No band and an album that should have come out in 2002?

some how they pulled it off with Ron, Frank and Dj. After seeing Dj on top of the monitor for chi dem and soloing before Scom basically confirmed this.

In a way Bucket and Finck are too 90s to be in the band now. The kine up is now perfect for these times. The label should recognize they have a great band here and help them get a record out.

It prob effected the label too. No band and an album that should have come out in 2002?

some how they pulled it off with Ron, Frank and Dj. After seeing Dj on top of the monitor for chi dem and soloing before Scom basically confirmed this.

In a way Bucket and Finck are too 90s to be in the band now. The kine up is now perfect for these times. The label should recognize they have a great band here and help them get a record out.

I don't know... Robin didn't look too 90's to me here:

If anything, Ashba is very 80's imo. Robin has many visual styles and a nice bluesy yet modern style of playing.

Edited by Rovim

Robin did become more GNR like Ron has sort of become more hard rock. Dj just looks like the next logical step of that 80s stuff. If dj and adam lambert were in a band now they could be huge. Like Motely Queen.

It could be that they knew Axl had got what he needed from them in Better and Shacklers. They were going to get to do much more creatively.

Robin did become more GNR like Ron has sort of become more hard rock. Dj just looks like the next logical step of that 80s stuff. If dj and adam lambert were in a band now they could be huge. Like Motely Queen.

It could be that they knew Axl had got what he needed from them in Better and Shacklers. They were going to get to do much more creatively.

I think they did much more creatively, it's just we have yet to hear it. The rest of the material will surely feature at least some songs written by them. If it's as good as Chinese, it will be very interesting to hear.

Robin seem to really shine in a studio setting. More songs like Better and Shacklers - meaner and darker?

An entire song like Bucket's bridge in Better maybe? Axl sang on that riff really well I thought.

Edited by Rovim

I always think it's a shame how members who wrote CD, are no longer involved. People like Robin, Bucket, Brain and even Paul. It's kind of like the best band the world has ever seen that never was able to flurish, and create albums of GOLD.

Now I have no hope in people like DJ, who is just a typical gimicky, Motely Crue type of player which I dispise... The best I wish for now is either Robins return, or at least him returning more for special guest appearances like he did in LA.

That video of Better from LA posted above is proof how much more talented Robin is than DJ. Robin literally just pissed over everything DJ has done live with GN'R since 2009, with that ONE performance of better. rock3

They definitely showed at certain points that they could do much heavier. I wonder if its The General.

I think once label pulled funding they could see their work was done. Its liked they passed the bat to the next guys leaving Axl in a strong position.

The bucket era was the maverick geniuses Axl needed to splice GNR with nu influences. I think Dj has knack of writing catchy tunes. Better was too good for the msinstream nobody could pigeon hole it. Is clasdic rock or nu metal?

They definitely showed at certain points that they could do much heavier. I wonder if its The General.

I think once label pulled funding they could see their work was done. Its liked they passed the bat to the next guys leaving Axl in a strong position.

I think Axl showed his appreciation for what they did when he said that those were the right guys for the album and the current line up is right for now or something like that.

I actually believe the current line up can probably write a great hard rock album, so in theory we can get all the unreleased material with Bucket, Robin, and Brain and a brand new album that can validate the band members in the band, making them much more then what they are now, but that requires actually releasing music.

The bucket era was the maverick geniuses Axl needed to splice GNR with nu influences. I think Dj has knack of writing catchy tunes. Better was too good for the msinstream nobody could pigeon hole it. Is clasdic rock or nu metal?

I really think Axl got out of Bucket exactly what he wanted. Bucket's guitar parts sound just like Bucket, only in a very focused and concise Guns structured context. (just look what his There Was A Time outro did for the song)

It's as if Axl used all that talent and manipulated it in such a way that made every song stronger, while giving it the advantage of a real rare talent like Bucket.

Robin's playing on Chinese is the first time he really had the chance to go all classic rock solos and the most interesting thing to me in using both of these guitarists is how Axl managed to recreate the 2 sides of Slash's playing, at least in some songs.

The lyrical melodic side and the wild, over the top yet always with a clear sense of direction faster stuff, a spastic frenzy of notes that you have to put on repeat. Robin and Bucket really accomplished that in There Was A Time and Better for example.

Axl was lucky to have them write in his new Gn'R and realize his vision.

Edited by Rovim

I saw how happy Axl was to have Robin come out on stage at the HOB in Hollywood. He had a crazy amount of energy. It also sounded a million times better. Im pretty sure Robin was Axl's favorite guitarist. The worst part of the fucked up release of CD was Robin not being there.

Edited by tr420

I think Axl showed his appreciation for what they did when he said that those were the right guys for the album and the current line up is right for now or something like that.

I actually believe the current line up can probably write a great hard rock album, so in theory we can get all the unreleased material with Bucket, Robin, and Brain and a brand new album that can validate the band members in the band, making them much more then what they are now, but that requires actually releasing music.

I'm not sure if those guys really wanted to tour. I don't see Bucket as a road dog. Finck seems used to it. There seems to have been a split between Tommy, dizzy, Pitman maybe and the two freaks. I can see Tommy getting on better with Ron and Dj. Fortus always gets left out but he could be the key to the next album. It's possible there is CD II, then a Fortus record and the new material that this line up could/has done.

I really think Axl got out of Bucket exactly what he wanted. Bucket's guitar parts sound just like Bucket, only in a very focused and concise Guns structured context. (just look what his There Was A Time outro did for the song)

It's as if Axl used all that talent and manipulated it in such a way that made every song stronger, while giving it the advantage of a real rare talent like Bucket.

Robin's playing on Chinese is the first time he really had the chance to go all classic rock solos and the most interesting thing to me in using both of these guitarists is how Axl managed to recreate the 2 sides of Slash's playing, at least in some songs.

The lyrical melodic side and the wild, over the top yet always with a clear sense of direction faster stuff, a spastic frenzy of notes that you have to put on repeat. Robin and Bucket really accomplished that in There Was A Time and Better for example.

Axl was lucky to have them write in his new Gn'R and realize his vision.

I think on chi dem one of them is doing a Slash in the background in a very Jungle way. You can hear it on Bad Apples and Always on the Run clearly. Then some solos like ITW and TWAT seem very Slash in much more controlled way on the rolling lilt. But it could just be a blues solo thing. I don't slash would do anything as OTT as the TIL solo. I really think Axl has a lot to do with GNR solos. Like when he played TWAT live first time he was conducting the solos on stage. It looked like he had a lot to do wth them. Riad is kind of like an Illusion song like Garden of Eden with the guitar taken off.

sometimes I think would it be worth it to to force the orginal guys to play like the guys on CD or just get new guys to do it. If GNR were going to make a record influenced by the 90s and take in the whole of rock history, I think they pretty much did it with CD. Half AFD, Half UYI by a 90s supergroup. The classic line up like an 80s supergroup. Both line ups have way too much talent for one band. Somehow it's all harnessed on a juggernaut of a record.

Edited by wasted

I'm not sure if those guys really wanted to tour. I don't see Bucket as a road dog. Finck seems used to it. There seems to have been a split between Tommy, dizzy, Pitman maybe and the two freaks. I can see Tommy getting on better with Ron and Dj. Fortus always gets left out but he could be the key to the next album. It's possible there is CD II, then a Fortus record and the new material that this line up could/has done.

Yeah Tommy never liked Bucket, and the current guys in the band are more of a real band in that way imo.

I think the nature of Chinese, with how it was created made that not as important. It was like a gangbang - everyone just did whatever and then Axl took all of the ideas and applied his musical order to it, taking what he thought could work for a modern Guns record.

I think now, if they'll ever get to make a record together, it can be much more organic. At least the initial process, and Fortus is totally the key. He can make it sound classic Gn'R imo, and with DJ onboard, it can be streamlined and incorporate his old school feel with his melodic approach while Bumble brings the crazy again, and maybe even cementing his position in the writing process, giving it that Zappa/skullfucked with hot sauce lead guitar mentality.

I would love to pick Robin's brain, just as much if not more than Axl's. I think his perspective on the entire saga would be pretty interesting. I wanna know why, above all else, he left. It seems obvious, but is cruel so fate to have him leave RIGHT BEFORE the album he'd worked on for 10 years is released??? Something just doesn't add up to me. And to me, he's always seemed to be in a battered wife relationship with Trent. He'll go back to Trent, then in a few months when Trent forms an all new version of NIN, he'll say things like he "wants a guitar player who pisses on Robin Finck", I'm paraphrasing but it was close to that. But then he goes back. I would assume if the starts aligned and the opportunity rose, Robin would join GNR in a flash. I like DJ, I think he's been good for GNR as far as fan relations and band image, but he's honestly not talented enough to be the lead player in Guns N' Roses. Just compare 'Better'. Whereas Robin might play 10 notes, DJ oversimplifies it with 3 notes and some bad bends. They are night and day. To me, Robin was always the heart and soul of '01-'07 GNR...

Yeah Tommy never liked Bucket, and the current guys in the band are more of a real band in that way imo.

I think the nature of Chinese, with how it was created made that not as important. It was like a gangbang - everyone just did whatever and then Axl took all of the ideas and applied his musical order to it, taking what he thought could work for a modern Guns record.

I think now, if they'll ever get to make a record together, it can be much more organic. At least the initial process, and Fortus is totally the key. He can make it sound classic Gn'R imo, and with DJ onboard, it can be streamlined and incorporate his old school feel with his melodic approach while Bumble brings the crazy again, and maybe even cementing his position in the writing process, giving it that Zappa/skullfucked with hot sauce lead guitar mentality.

I could see CD II as being more unhinged than CD. With CD III being like All that you cant Leave Behind with Fortus and Dj taking us back, way back. Before and waaay before.

Ron is so talented its hard to know. Glad to be here is kind of punk. He seems like he would into his own doing a uyi type double albumreally having no barriers. It just seems the era of form.

I could see CD II as being more unhinged than CD. With CD III being like All that you cant Leave Behind with Fortus and Dj taking us back, way back. Before and waaay before.

Ron is so talented its hard to know. Glad to be here is kind of punk. He seems like he would into his own doing a uyi type double albumreally having no barriers. It just seems the era of form.

2006 lineup was great, and Axl was in good form too. They looked the part as well, whereas nowadays everyone looks like their pretending to be rockstars and all comes across a bit non genuine.

I miss the energy he had that made him run around