Fun fact about the band today

gnrjanus

Ok... so... after reading the thread... I hope someone breaks out an oscilloscope program with analytics or whatever, to settle this once and for all.

No but seriously, someone should summarize all the accurate parts. Or something.

Not to sound dumb, but can anyone explain this all to me? I can't read music like that! Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. Every time these guys start talking music, they are not music to my ears (or shall I say eyes, since I'm reading? Ha ha). I hope I'm at least half as knowledgeable so I can join in the conversation LOL.

Lemme try to somewhat explain this lol

Guitars have a "universal" tuning that is considered to be the default tuning for guitars. From the lowest to highest in standard tuning the strings are tuned to E-A-D-G-B-E.

When you "tune down" you are lowering the pitch of these strings (making them sound lower) - a half step just means exactly one note down. So E beomes Eb - the nest lowest note. So Eb standard tuning would be Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb, meaning every string is lowered by exactly one note.

So let's say you are playing a note on the third fret of the low E string in standard tuning (which is G) - in order to play that exact same pitch in Eb tuning you have to play it on the 4th fret then because since the string is lower you have to compensate by playing higher up. But this tuning also allows for you to play a Gb major like you would a G in the 'normal' standard tuning, same with any other chord

Guns N' Roses almost exclusively used Eb standard tuning in the old days. On Chinese Democracy a variety of tunings are used such as Drop D tuning (only tuning the low E string down by a step making it D), normal "standard tuning", and a few others.

It is challenging trying to explain it to non-musicians so I hope this helps you :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks WhazUp. Not to say that I understand fully but it helps to give me some idea (I can say I understand some). Thanks for taking the time to explain to a dumber here he he he. rock4

Edited by cheesecake