Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

I really like Sweet Summer Sun, don't get all the hate for the Hyde Park shows (although you were there, Amir, so I trust your opinion!)

Anyways, I like the stage for this new tour. I think it looks pretty cool, but apparently it is really high up. People on IORR said they couldn't see from the floor. That's a shame

There were so many gigs on the 50 & Counting tour that were so much better than Hyde Park. Hyde Park had possibly the 2 most boring setlists of the whole tour, a different stage set (Which, let's face it - had nothing on the tongue stage), and the band weren't firing on all cylinders the way they were for most of the US gigs and Glastonbury. Throw in the fact that the last two tours have each had box sets with 3 gigs, and the fact that they didn't even bother to release the full Hyde Park gig, it was just a disappointment.

When you take it for what it is, it's not bad. And I'll be the first to admit the cinematography on it is nothing short of beautiful. But for the Stones' standards it doesn't meet expectations.

There were so many gigs on the 50 & Counting tour that were so much better than Hyde Park. Hyde Park had possibly the 2 most boring setlists of the whole tour, a different stage set (Which, let's face it - had nothing on the tongue stage), and the band weren't firing on all cylinders the way they were for most of the US gigs and Glastonbury. Throw in the fact that the last two tours have each had box sets with 3 gigs, and the fact that they didn't even bother to release the full Hyde Park gig, it was just a disappointment.

When you take it for what it is, it's not bad. And I'll be the first to admit the cinematography on it is nothing short of beautiful. But for the Stones' standards it doesn't meet expectations.

Yeah I can see that, it defiantly doesn't compare to the gig I saw in Chicago. The Stones did great with the tongue pit and stage. It is minimal, yet exciting and allows the band to connect with the audience

Midnight Rambler from Hyde Park Live CD is one of my favorite performances of this song.

I know it's not exactly on topic but I didn't want to look for and bump any of the other Rolling Stones threads.

So the Stones are in Chicago and they go see Muddy Waters play and they're sitting there relaxing enjoying the performance and he calls Mick Jagger on stage to sing with him. I don't know, maybe I'm looking too deep into this but Mick looks so bothered by that! :lol: It's like 'come on! I'm on my day off!' I love how he goes 'yeah, what about Keith?!' - like 'if I have to work so does he!' Jagger has always struck me as someone who sees music in general and performing live in particular as a job. By contrast Keith and Ronnie always look like they're enjoying their time on stage immensely.

I don't think they rehearse all these obscure songs specifically in order to play them, but rather to decide whether to play them or not.

Well...yeah. The setlists (especially on the 50 & Counting tour) proved that just because they rehearse something, it's in no way a guarantee that they'll play it. They are indicative of what the options are for rarities, so I wouldn't rule out Moonlight Mile yet. It was an option for one of the votes in the US last year, so couple that with the fact that they rehearsed it for 2014, I definitely think it's a possibility :)

did they play Silver Train or was that just on the pic of the setlist?

It's not on the picture of the setlist I saw, but some people on IORR were joking that they did that and Let It Loose as a second encore:

1148855_10152277927518287_343157979_n.jp

Video of Slipping Away:

yeah i saw some pic floating around with silver train and let it loose as an encore

Do they ever do Moonlight Mile or Have You Seen Your Mother?

They did Moonlight Mile a handful of times in the 90s. They rehearsed it for this year too, so they may play it again. Not sure about Have You Seen Your Mother.
Chances don't sound great. I hope the show goes ahead they play Britney covers as long as they play.

Looks like greatest hits shows for the Asian countries. Thats ok though, since they don't go to that part of the world much

Yeah that is pretty much it...........it seem it is usually us North Americans and Europeans who bitch about the lack of variety in the setlists......people from regions who rarely get to see the Stones are just happy they are playing in their country I think..........

• Like 1

Looks like greatest hits shows for the Asian countries. Thats ok though, since they don't go to that part of the world much

Yeah that is pretty much it...........it seem it is usually us North Americans and Europeans who bitch about the lack of variety in the setlists......people from regions who rarely get to see the Stones are just happy they are playing in their country I think..........

If it was my first time seeing a band I would rather get a greatest hits setlist.

Yeah, pretty much this. Though Metallica pulled out Orion for Abu Dhabi and a bunch of other shows, that was cool of them.

If it was my first time seeing a band I would rather get a greatest hits setlist.

Yeah, pretty much this. Though Metallica pulled out Orion for Abu Dhabi and a bunch of other shows, that was cool of them.

Yeah, I agree. I saw the Stones and Metallica for the first time last year. You always want to see the hits if you haven't seen the band before. A few deep cuts are always nice though if you are a huge fan