Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

Guest Len B'stard

So I'm at home and i'm listening to The Stones on youtube right, Out of Time by The Stones, one of my favorite songs, which is about, i'm sure you all know, Mick basically telling some bird he's done with her. Anyway I'm scrolling through the comments section and I come across a post there, from some guy somewhere, now for all i know it might be bullshit but somehow i don't think it was. Anyway, the post went something like i was in Vietnam when this song was kicking off everywhere and thats exactly how me and my buddys felt, like we were outta time, like we were far far from home and everything over there was changing and a new world was beginning and we'd maybe never live to see it. Every time I listen to that song now i think of this and its made the tone of the song something like...this harrowing call to impending doom. I wonder how many guys had this song in their head whilst being sent to their death. I can't imagine what it must be like to be 19, your life in front of you...but then your possible death too, in the sweltering overbearing heat...and that songs lyrics floating around your head...it just totally made the whole song mean something else for me.

You don't know what's going on
You've been away for far too long
You can't come back and think you are still mine
You're out of touch, my baby
My poor discarded baby

Have a listen with that in mind...don't it feel weird? I dunno, maybe I'm just nuts or something. I guess with a band/songs so iconic and so age old they probably mean a million different things to a million different people. Kinda casts a telling light on nobheads like me and their going on about 'well The Stones are just a bunch of old farts that middle class poofters and pensioners go and see', apart from being patently untrue its like...people have a lot of life expierience and...emotion and all sorts associated to and invested in such things, really says something about the power of music too. I really can't listen to this song with an intense wistful sadness...of sorts anyway.

Edited by sugaraylen

I think it happens a lot. As in the artists inspiration or intentions not realised.

Once I had some kid go rhapsodic over Barbie Girl, how it's was like him and his girlfriend. Later I looked at the lyrics and there is something there. But it's like shallower and less specific it is the more people can relate.

Once you add a visual to music it changes it.

I wonder what they would think of First Vietnamese War by The Black Angels.

Edited by wasted

Holy shit Silver Train!!! What a set!

Definitely the best setlist yet of the tour. Wish they had opened with Get Off Of My Cloud though.

Agreed, I loved it as the opener. I like where Gimme Shelter was last night, though

I do have to say, in terms of pacing this is one of the best Stones sets I have seen, lots of hits jammed in the beginning and ends with highlights like Rambler and Silver Train in the middle

Edited by ZoSoRose

If any of you complain about that then you're cunts, thats a sick setlist :)

Other than Silver Train, which is a nice gem to have, there is nothing very unique about it as it is just a collection of the greatest hits.........not complaining mind you just saying that for hardcore Stones fans it is the same old, same old......... :shrugs:

Personally I would be very happy if they played that setlist at the show in Singapore I am going to see as I never tire of the old hits, and they played my favorite Stones song of all time "Gimme Shelter", but what is really exciting for me is Mick T played on 4 songs so they are expanding his role. Hopefully they keep letting him play more songs this tour............Now if they added "Monkey Man" to this setlist for Singapore I would be in Stones heaven.............

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

Other than Silver Train, which is a nice gem to have, there is nothing very unique about it as it is just a collection of the greatest hits.........not complaining mind you just saying that for hardcore Stones fans it is the same old, same old......... :shrugs:

Personally I would be very happy if they played that setlist at the show in Singapore I am going to see as I never tire of the old hits, and they played my favorite Stones song of all time "Gimme Shelter", but what is really exciting for me is Mick T played on 4 songs so they are expanding his role. Hopefully they keep letting him play more songs this tour............Now if they added "Monkey Man" to this setlist for Singapore I would be in Stones heaven.............

Don't think Monkey Man was rehearsed at all. I'd love to see that live though, one of my favorites.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah but if i had to pick out of their greatest hits there's enough stonkers in that list to make my tip tingle, if you'll pardon the expression.

March 6, Tokyo Dome

Jumpin’ Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking
It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)
Tumbling Dice
Ruby Tuesday
Doom And Gloom
Respectable (Fan song vote, with special guest Hotai)
Honky Tonk Women
-Band Introductions
Slipping Away (with Keith on lead vocals, featuring Mick Taylor on guitar)
Before They Make Run (with Keith on lead vocals)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor on guitar)
Miss You
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Start Me Up
Sympathy For The Devil
Brown Sugar

ENCORE
You Can’t Always Get What You Want (with the Senzoku Freshman Singers)
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
((with Mick Taylor)

Yeah but if i had to pick out of their greatest hits there's enough stonkers in that list to make my tip tingle, if you'll pardon the expression.

For the average fan that setlist is a wet dream but for the hard core fan not so much based on the bitching and moaning you will see on the IORR fan forum......... although hearing Silver Train should satisfy even the most hardcore fan who is bitching about the setlist..........

The Stones rarely play the Far East so any fan expecting a lot of rare gems is going to be disappointed I think. They may sneak in a surprise or two, like Mick T playing on more songs, but Sir Mick is a smart marketing person and I think he will play it safe the rest of the tour as he knows the fans over here in Asia will be happy to see them play the hits IMHO.............

Maybe he will get more adventures when they inevitably tour Europe but at this stage of their career I would not expect too many surprises other than the odd guest player............. :shrugs:

I would be very happy with that setlist if they play it in Singapore and having Mick T play on 4 songs certainly will "make my tip tingle" if it happens..............

Edited by classicrawker

Yeah and regardless of the bitching I think there were a ton of cool rarities played on "50 and Counting." I got Sway, Live With Me, Emotional Rescue, and As Tears Go By during my show alone!

Plus we get an average of 2 songs a night! I think Doom and Gloom is especially awesome. I'd be thrilled if GNR did it like the Stones, even if shows were a bit shorter

Edited by ZoSoRose

Had a look around setlist.fm, apparently Dance Part 1 has only been played 7 times... and Heaven has never been played?! Damn, those are 2 of my favourite of their songs... Can see why they wouldn't be, though, probably too dancy for a rock concert.

Choices for Macau:

All Down The Line

Get Off of My Cloud

When the Whip Comes Down

Live With Me

Just My Imagination

If You Can't Rock Me

I voted All Down The Line, the only one worth voting for out of the bunch in my opinion. Get Off Of My Cloud is pointless since they'll probably play it anyway; Live With Me and If You Cant Rock Me suck big time and if they're never played again it will be too soon; When The Whip Comes Down and Just My Imagination are meh.

All the Asia dates sold out except Shanghai which shows all level tickets available except the cheapest seats...........surprised they are having such a hard time selling out that show as there is some serious noveau rich there and the Chinese seem to be into status brands.

Saw some amazing $$$ cars at the hotel I was staying at in Shenzhen...Saw a .Lamborghini', Maclaren, Porsches etc.....