Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

That's terrible news! :(

RIP Bobby!

Keys is just a step below the Big Man for me on the rock n' roll sax list.

I'd have to agree with this. Can't think of many other contenders really. There's Dick Parry who did phenomenal work with Pink Floyd, and could still pull it off live (saw him with Gilmour in '06). But that's still a different genre to me.

Just saw Bobby has died ( thanks to Matt Sorum in the twitter feed- see? he is useful!) ...that sucks to hear.

The story of how he was fired in the 70's is a cracker, RIP

Never heard about how he got fired.

Actually how he came back into the band is pretty awesome too!

On the 73 European Tour ( in Paris, I think) instead of going to the show he had a bath full of Dom Perignon and a French Whore- when Keith came to get him he told him to fuck off.

In Keef's book, he says that Bobby actually owed money after that incident/tour.

Keith reckons he snuck him back in during rehearsals in the 80's, and though Mick went along with it he didn't speak a word to Bobby for the whole tour.

Another retrospective: Mick Taylor quit the Stones, 40 years ago

Guitarist Mick Taylor is widely acknowledged as the most technically accomplished musician ever to perform as one of the Rolling Stones. His tenure in the band saw him play on some of their most important albums, but it was relatively short-lived; he quit the band on Dec. 12, 1974, just before the Stones recorded ‘Black and Blue.’

Taylor had already been playing with British blues legend John Mayall when the Stones fired Brian Jones due to his drug abuse in June of 1969. Mayall suggested the 20-year-old musician to the group, and he made his live debut with the Rolling Stones at a free Hyde Park show in London, performing in front of 250,000 people.

Taylor went on to record a string of classics with the band, including ‘Let It Bleed,’ ‘Sticky Fingers,’ ‘Exile on Main Street’ and ‘It’s Only Rock and Roll.’ His virtuosic guitar playing brought a very different element to the band, which had previously relied on the rhythmic interplay between Jones and Keith Richards.

“I think he had a big contribution,” Mick Jagger told Rolling Stone in 1995. “He made it very musical. He was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don’t have now. Neither Keith nor [Ronnie Wood] plays that kind of style.”

“It was very good for me working with him,” added the singer. “I could sit down with Mick Taylor, and he would play very fluid lines against my vocals. He was exciting, and he was very pretty, and it gave me something to follow, to bang off. Some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed.”

But Taylor was never entirely happy with his participation in the Stones. For one thing he was younger than the rest of the group, and he was keenly aware of the fact that he was not a founding member. On top of that, he was playing far beneath his skill level in the band.

“I just couldn’t believe how bad they sounded,” the guitarist recalled from his first rehearsals with the Stones. “Their timing was awful. They sounded like a typical bunch of guys in a garage — playing out of tune and too loudly. I thought, ‘How is it possible that this band can make hit records?’”

And in typical rock and roll fashion, there were personal and financial issues between Taylor, Jagger and Richards. ”I was a bit peeved about not getting credit for a couple of songs, but that wasn’t the whole reason [i left the band],” Taylor later recalled. “I guess I just felt like I had enough. I decided to leave and start a group with Jack Bruce. I never really felt, and I don’t know why, but I never felt I was gonna stay with the Stones forever, even right from the beginning.”

Jagger told Rolling Stone he thought friction between Taylor and Richards was a prime motivator: “He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith.”

Taylor admitted in the recent documentary ‘Crossfire Hurricane’ that he had become addicted to heroin while living in the eye of the Rolling Stones maelstrom and decided to leave to try to protect his family from the band’s caustic lifestyle. On Dec. 12, 1974 the band members were at a party in London when the guitarist broke the news to Mick Jagger and walked out. He was replaced by Ronnie Wood.

The guitarist went on to a long, fruitful career, but never again enjoyed the kind of fame or money that the Stones had offered. Press reports later claimed that he was living in near poverty, but Taylor has maintained that he would make the same decision again, regardless. “It doesn’t necessarily follow that because you’re in a successful rock ‘n’ roll band, you’re going to stay in a situation like that and be satisfied,” he observed. “For me it was personally restricting. I’m not saying that it wasn’t fun. It was a helluva lot of fun; it was great. But I had to move on and do something else.”

In another interview on the Rolling Stones’ official website, he was more to the point. “To ask if I regret leaving the Rolling Stones is to ask the wrong question,” he stated. “The hard one to answer is, do I regret joining them?”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mick-taylor-quits-the-rolling-stones/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rolling Stones Will Reportedly Tour North America This Summer
by Michael Gallucci February 11, 2015 4:23 PM

If we’re to believe Ronnie Wood — and really, why wouldn’t we believe him? — the Rolling Stones will be touring North America this summer. The guitarist shared the info with GMI Rock News (via WMGK) during a recent interview.

The Stones last toured the continent two years ago as part of their 50th-anniversary 50 & Counting Tour. More recently, the band played shows in New Zealand and Australia as part of the same golden-anniversary celebration.

Speaking with GMI Rock News, Wood said, ”Oh yeah, we had a meeting in New York with the boys, and we’re gonna come to North America again in the summer.”

During the 2013 run, the group was joined onstage by a wide range of artists — including Taylor Swift, Sheryl Crow and even former guitarist Mick Taylor, whom Wood replaced in 1975 — who helped the Stones cover some of their most popular songs.

The shows will be the first the Stones have performed since the death of longtime sideman Bobby Keys, who passed away on Dec. 2, 2014. They haven’t released any new music since 2012, when a pair of songs showed up on the ‘Grrr!’ compilation.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-2015-america-tour/

• Like 1

As much as I hate to say it, there's absolutely no way I'll be able to catch them this year between, AC/DC, Rush, and Maiden, unless they lower their prices or I luck into some $85's again (Assuming they do it again).

When is Maiden getting announced?
:shrugs: Hopefully not for a few weeks, because I'm fucking broke between AC/DC and Rush.

OMG DETROIT PLEASE

I will skip AC/DC and RUSH for this! (I've seen all of these guys so it is ok :lol: )

I think Detroit is a good bet, assuming they'll probably hit markets they skipped in 2013. I'd expect something like this for tour stops:

NYC (Honestly, they won't skip it even if they hit it 3 times in 2012)

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Atlanta

Miami

Quebec City

Detroit

Minneapolis

Denver

Houston or Dallas

Phoenix

LA (Again, they can't really skip it)

San Francisco

Seattle

Vancouver

OMG DETROIT PLEASE

I will skip AC/DC and RUSH for this! (I've seen all of these guys so it is ok :lol: )

I think Detroit is a good bet, assuming they'll probably hit markets they skipped in 2013. I'd expect something like this for tour stops:

NYC (Honestly, they won't skip it even if they hit it 3 times in 2012)

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Atlanta

Miami

Quebec City

Detroit

Minneapolis

Denver

Houston or Dallas

Phoenix

LA (Again, they can't really skip it)

San Francisco

Seattle

Vancouver

Yeah I can see something like that. I hope its a stadium gig because I really don't want to spend $200 for a nosebleed again. I will if I have to, and I realize that is probably what is going to happen, but oh well lol

• 1 month later...

According to the guy who runs IORR (For the record, he got nearly every European gig right before the official announcement), the tour kicks off May 24 in San Diego. They'll be at Red Rocks sometime in June, there's a Pittsburgh gig on June 20, and Buffalo on July 11. Looks like it'll be mostly stadiums with a few amphitheaters mixed in.

Supposedly, Sticky Fingers is getting the Exile and Some Girls treatment and will be remastered/reissued with a bonus disc of songs left off the album....and I also read yesterday that they will perform the entire Sticky Fingers album during their show....

I'll try to find the link...

• Like 1

Supposedly, Sticky Fingers is getting the Exile and Some Girls treatment and will be remastered/reissued with a bonus disc of songs left off the album....and I also read yesterday that they will perform the entire Sticky Fingers album during their show....

WHAT?!

Omg with Mick Taylor? I'd pay another $200 I don't have for nosebleeds for that show! WOW!

• Like 1