Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

I would be very surprised if all those guest appearances on the tour are not used to full advantage.

They might end up doing a box set with a few shows and a bonus disc with the guest appearances or something, like they've done with past tours.

I hope so anyway..

I liked how they posted the guest appearances on their You Tube page.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't release the 1969 Hyde Park concert as a bonus, but it might be part of ABKCO and will get its own release.

I would be very surprised if all those guest appearances on the tour are not used to full advantage.

They might end up doing a box set with a few shows and a bonus disc with the guest appearances or something, like they've done with past tours.

I hope so anyway..

It would be great to get them on blu as well, with a nice surround mix. A proper release for the collection.

I hope so anyway..

I'm kind of surprised they didn't release the 1969 Hyde Park concert as a bonus, but it might be part of ABKCO and will get its own release.

I think ITV Granada owns the rights to the 69 concert film

Ordered my Hyde Park Blu-ray/CD package from Amazon Japan today as it has a bonus song not on the other releases. There is a Japanese limited Edition, 1000 copies, super Deluxe version which also has 3 LP's and a book but I don't care about vinyl so will be happy with the Blu-ray and CD's.

Strangely no listing on Amazon U.S. yet?

Edited by classicrawker

I hope so anyway..

I'd love that! Really enjoyed the Four Flicks and Biggest Bang releases. I'm hoping they'll do something similar.

I would LOVE that. Would defiantly buy it!

The US shows were so much more exciting than Hyde Park. They'd be crazy not to release a few at some point.

Which one?, because I have listened to over half of them and to be honest they were solid for the most part but nothing special.....I did think the HBO show was very good though and the boot DVD I have is excellent quality..........

First Hyde Park show was definitely disappointing. From what I saw Glasto looked more energetic.

I saw a proshot of one of the O2 shows, I think it was the first one, and it was even better than Glastonbury.

Seen a few YouTube videos, yeah the O2 shows look good (especially Gimme Shelter with Florence Welch).

The US shows were so much more exciting than Hyde Park. They'd be crazy not to release a few at some point.

Which one?, because I have listened to over half of them and to be honest they were solid for the most part but nothing special.....I did think the HBO show was very good though and the boot DVD I have is excellent quality..........
Have you heard Hyde Park though? Both gigs were pretty rough. But offhand, Oakland, Vegas, LA 2 (the one with extra MT), Toronto 1 (biased), and all 3 Chicago gigs were great. Haven't listened to Philly or DC yet.

Have you heard Hyde Park though? Both gigs were pretty rough. But offhand, Oakland, Vegas, LA 2 (the one with extra MT), Toronto 1 (biased), and all 3 Chicago gigs were great. Haven't listened to Philly or DC yet.

Have not heard Hyde Park yet so can't comment on those shows...I have heard most of the others you mention and they are decent shows but none of them can touch Glastonbury for energy and consistency IMHO.

I reviewed the Oakland show for the CMR website and other than "Little Red Rooster" and "Dead Flowers" I thought the show was very flat even "Midnight Rambler" did not shine for me that night and "Gimme Shelter" was a trainwreck.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/rolling-stones/the-rolling-stones-oakland-2013-no-label/

Have not listened to it yet but I have read the 2nd Philly show is excellent. Washington is an excellent recording but like many of the U.S. Tour shows it has it's highs and lows

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/rolling-stones/the-rolling-stones-washington-2013-no-label/

IMHO if they wanted to do a good quality live album or Blu-ray from the U.S. tour they would have to do a compilation and cherry pick the best versions of each song as the shows were so variable.

No show I have heard outright sucked but they were very inconsistent performances I think.

First Hyde Park show was definitely disappointing. From what I saw Glasto looked more energetic.

I saw a proshot of one of the O2 shows, I think it was the first one, and it was even better than Glastonbury.

Where did you see a proshot of O2? AFAIK only the HBO and Glastonbury are available in proshot quality............

Looking on youtube there are some great audience shot videos but I could not find any proshot stuff?

Have not heard Hyde Park yet so can't comment on those shows...I have heard most of the others you mention and they are decent shows but none of them can touch Glastonbury for energy and consistency IMHO.

I reviewed the Oakland show for the CMR website and other than "Little Red Rooster" and "Dead Flowers" I thought the show was very flat even "Midnight Rambler" did not shine for me that night and "Gimme Shelter" was a trainwreck.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/rolling-stones/the-rolling-stones-oakland-2013-no-label/

Have not listened to it yet but I have read the 2nd Philly show is excellent. Washington is an excellent recording but like many of the U.S. Tour shows it has it's highs and lows

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/rolling-stones/the-rolling-stones-washington-2013-no-label/

IMHO if they wanted to do a good quality live album or Blu-ray from the U.S. tour they would have to do a compilation and cherry pick the best versions of each song as the shows were so variable.

No show I have heard outright sucked but they were very inconsistent performances I think.

Man rawker, you were so fired up for and during the gigs! What happened, man? lol

Man rawker, you were so fired up for and during the gigs! What happened, man? lol

Don't get me wrong I still loved the 2 Boston shows I went to see but I am a realist when it comes to the Stones 2013. These guys are 70 years old in most cases and I expect there is going to be some bum notes during the shows as Keef has his good and bad moments now. I accept them for what they are today and don't expect them to play like the 70's or even the 90's Stones anymore. They still put on a hell of a show despite their age............

Also when you are at the show you don't always notice the mistakes you will hear when you listen to a recording of the show unless it is very obvious like the Stones fucking up the start of IORR or Keef struggling with his solos.

When I do reviews of boots for CMR I try to be less of a fan boy and more objective about what I am hearing...But I am in the process of reviewing a Glastonbury bootleg 2 Cd set and a 2DVD set and have to say I am blown away at how good that show was so when I post the reviews they will gush a little...........

Edited by classicrawker

Don't get me wrong I still loved the 2 Boston shows I went to see but I am a realist when it comes to the Stones 2013. These guys are 70 years old in most cases and I expect there is going to be some bum notes during the shows as Keef has his good and bad moments now. I accept them for what they are today and don't expect them to play like the 70's or even the 90's Stones anymore. They still put on a hell of a show despite their age............

Also when you are at the show you don't always notice the mistakes you will hear when you listen to a recording of the show unless it is very obvious like the Stones fucking up the start of IORR or Keef struggling with his solos.

When I do reviews of boots for CMR I try to be less of a fan boy and more objective about what I am hearing...But I am in the process of reviewing a Glastonbury bootleg 2 Cd set and a 2DVD set and have to say I am blown away at how good that show was so when I post the reviews they will gush a little...........

i hear you! :thumbsup:

Did a reocrding ever show up of the second night in Toronto?

If not, I recorded it. It's precariously stored on a laptop hard drive that is currently fucked.

If I ever recover it, wait till you hear the massacre of Rocks Off!! :lol:

Did a reocrding ever show up of the second night in Toronto?

If not, I recorded it. It's precariously stored on a laptop hard drive that is currently fucked.

If I ever recover it, wait till you hear the massacre of Rocks Off!! :lol:

I think someone on IORR has a recording.

2nd Toronto show availble here for download

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?2,1851567,page=1

The Stones have always been a bit like that though: awful one night, spellbinding the next. They were never a, consistant great live band (like The Who or Metallica) but I feel that was part of the charm - the sloppiness and ramshackle nature. I saw the Glastonbury broadcast and thought they were good. When I saw them in 1998 they were good but the Keith songs died.

The Stones have always been a bit like that though: awful one night, spellbinding the next. They were never a, consistant great live band (like The Who or Metallica) but I feel that was part of the charm - the sloppiness and ramshackle nature. I saw the Glastonbury broadcast and thought they were good. When I saw them in 1998 they were good but the Keith songs died.

LOL yeah it is part of their charm unless you happen to catch them on an awful night then it is not so charming.............

This tour is different IMHO in that they are consistently struggling with several of the songs, like IORR and Gimme Shelter for instance, because Keef is struggling with his playing. He has trouble playing some of the parts on those songs and is having real trouble with anything but playing cords. I am guessing it has to due with his arthritic fingers and no amount of practicing can fix that unfortunately. It breaks my heart to hear him struggle with the opening of Gimme Shelter and butcher his solos most of the time now. None of the shows I have heard from this past tour were awful but some were better then others with more energy and fewer mistakes.

Once you accept that these guys are 70yrs old + and realize they are never going to play like they did in their prime it is no big deal and the shows are really enjoyable...........I have seen them a couple of dozen times since 1975 and don't think I have ever seen an awful show so maybe I have been lucky...In any case seeing the Stones is not only a concert but an event. Not many bands left these days where this is true IMHO.

Edited by classicrawker

LOL yeah it is part of their charm unless you happen to catch them on an awful night then it is not so charming.............

This tour is different IMHO in that they are consistently struggling with several of the songs, like IORR and Gimme Shelter for instance, because Keef is struggling with his playing. He has trouble playing some of the parts on those songs and is having real trouble with anything but playing cords. I am guessing it has to due with his arthritic fingers and no amount of practicing can fix that unfortunately. It breaks my heart to hear him struggle with the opening of Gimme Shelter and butcher his solos most of the time now. None of the shows I have heard from this past tour were awful but some were better then others with more energy and fewer mistakes.

Once you accept that these guys are 70yrs old + and realize they are never going to play like they did in their prime it is no big deal and the shows are really enjoyable...........I have seen them a couple of dozen times since 1975 and don't think I have ever seen an awful show so maybe I have been lucky...In any case seeing the Stones is not only a concert but an event. Not many bands left these days where this is true IMHO.

I actually thought Keef's playing on IORR was a highlight of the show I was at. Gimme Shelter was a monster too. He did struggle a bit with other songs like HTW (although that was more of a technical issue) and PiB a bit

I think they're going to do what McCartney has been doing for the past few years.