Richard Fortus = Richard Fortus

Robin Finck > DJ Ashba

Brain Mantia > Frank Ferrer

Tommy Stinson = Tommy Stinson

Dizzy Reed = Dizzy Reed

Chris Pitman = Chris Pitman

NuGuns > CurrentGuns

pretty much this

Pretty ridiculous comments considering that almost every performer today has an element of rehearsal or choreography. .

Yeah like Chris brown on Justin timberlake. Guns n roses never has in the past, and it kinda sucks they have a guitarist that does now. Of course axl has a lot of the same moves every show. Dudes 51 years old. There's only so many ways he can move without breaking a hip. Lol just kidding. But there is no choreography or extended planning in rock n roll. At lease there sure as hell shouldn't be.

I don't like DJ's stage presence because it looks like a rehearsed thing. Fortus stage moves are definitely cooler, but sometimes he's a poser and close to DJ as far as posing goes. He can play the guitar, though, unlike... yes, Slashba. Ron is totally different, though. When he feels like he looks like a normal rock guitarist (late 06, 07), like a kinda-nerd guitarist (mid 06), back to a normal guitarist (10), a bearded normal guitarist, (11), a zombie kiss-alike guitarist (mid 2012) to a homeless bearded guitarist (late 2012, 2013). Finck seems to act this way - he'll dress like whatever he feels like dressing at the time. Both don't have pre-rehearsed moves, they're into the songs. It's a normal thing to notice that both of them close their eyes and ignore what's going on around them and they're simply feeling the song, the solo, etc. Bucket had his own thing going on, lol. He was on his own world and that is a plus to me. No rehearsed stage moves whatsoever, just him and his custom Les Paul.

Dead on.

Pretty ridiculous comments considering that almost every performer today has an element of rehearsal or choreography. This may come to a shock to both of you, but have watched Axl lately? Fairly certain he wears the same clothing and has the same moves every show. Guess that means he sucks, just like DJ or Fortus. Seriously guys, get over yourselves. Who the fuck cares if stage moves look rehearsed so long as they put on a good show. Re-reading what's been written in this thread just makes me laugh. So thanks for that.

I guess you just misread the thread. Let me explain something - this thread has nothing to do with Axl. We are discussing the live show, comparing both lineups. the stage presence is a major factor mentioned by the OP. I don't know what you are laughing at, but once you realize that your post had nothing to do with the thread, you can laugh at yourself. There are plenty threads out there to discuss musicians and performances, maybe you can check them out.

Pretty ridiculous comments considering that almost every performer today has an element of rehearsal or choreography. .

Yeah like Chris brown on Justin timberlake. Guns n roses never has in the past, and it kinda sucks they have a guitarist that does now. Of course axl has a lot of the same moves every show. Dudes 51 years old. There's only so many ways he can move without breaking a hip. Lol just kidding. But there is no choreography or extended planning in rock n roll. At lease there sure as hell shouldn't be.

Actually, not sure if you're aware, but there's a lot of choreography to Axl's moves, especially considering it's likely he lifted them from Richard Black of The Sharks/Shark Island. Check it:

"One day before GnR's debut, I went to his place…as I walked in I saw a video of me playing on his TV and on top was a stack of VHS tapes all labeled Shark Island with dates and times. I remember being mortified, it was obvious he was studying my shtick, and I knew there was nothing I could do, being their album was about to be released, and he'd cap on the press get the credit.

Then came Welcome To The Jungle, I thought I was looking in the mirror, or the videos on Axl's TV."

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/190179-shark-islands-influence-on-axl/

I don't like DJ's stage presence because it looks like a rehearsed thing. Fortus stage moves are definitely cooler, but sometimes he's a poser and close to DJ as far as posing goes. He can play the guitar, though, unlike... yes, Slashba. Ron is totally different, though. When he feels like he looks like a normal rock guitarist (late 06, 07), like a kinda-nerd guitarist (mid 06), back to a normal guitarist (10), a bearded normal guitarist, (11), a zombie kiss-alike guitarist (mid 2012) to a homeless bearded guitarist (late 2012, 2013). Finck seems to act this way - he'll dress like whatever he feels like dressing at the time. Both don't have pre-rehearsed moves, they're into the songs. It's a normal thing to notice that both of them close their eyes and ignore what's going on around them and they're simply feeling the song, the solo, etc. Bucket had his own thing going on, lol. He was on his own world and that is a plus to me. No rehearsed stage moves whatsoever, just him and his custom Les Paul.

Dead on.

Pretty ridiculous comments considering that almost every performer today has an element of rehearsal or choreography. This may come to a shock to both of you, but have watched Axl lately? Fairly certain he wears the same clothing and has the same moves every show. Guess that means he sucks, just like DJ or Fortus. Seriously guys, get over yourselves. Who the fuck cares if stage moves look rehearsed so long as they put on a good show. Re-reading what's been written in this thread just makes me laugh. So thanks for that.

I guess you just misread the thread. Let me explain something - this thread has nothing to do with Axl. We are discussing the live show, comparing both lineups. the stage presence is a major factor mentioned by the OP. I don't know what you are laughing at, but once you realize that your post had nothing to do with the thread, you can laugh at yourself. There are plenty threads out there to discuss musicians and performances, maybe you can check them out.

Please, you guys are talking like a couple of gals at the hairdressers about rehearsed stage presence as if it's a character trait limited to DJ. If you're going to give him shit for having rehearsed moves, then you might as well shit on Axl as well.

If you prefer one person's stage presence over another, that's fine. But evaluating one over the other because one "seems" rehearsed is a silly criteria to go by. Like I said, if appearing rehearsed renders performances as substandard, then you must not think much of Axl's.

Edited by downzy

Watching RIR3 again and I am so glad that that lineup did not last although they were good players, they were no where near as good, stage presence wise as the guys now. Bucket just stands there, an fink looks a bloody freak!

I think were lucky to have dj an ron tbh

i think, word by word, the exact opposite.

DJ's "stage presence" is nothing more than a series of pre-planned things he does at every show, like the Hogan ears and playing the guitar with drumsticks during Madagascar.Ron's got decent presence but he needs to drop the zombie makeup and braids. Go for a 2006-Finck look.

Omg I forgot about the drum sticks. That is the lamest thing ive ever seen. Actually the Hulk Hogan eara might be. It's so sad Robin's gone.

DJ's "stage presence" is nothing more than a series of pre-planned things he does at every show, like the Hogan ears and playing the guitar with drumsticks during Madagascar.Ron's got decent presence but he needs to drop the zombie makeup and braids. Go for a 2006-Finck look.

Omg I forgot about the drum sticks. That is the lamest thing ive ever seen. Actually the Hulk Hogan eara might be. It's so sad Robin's gone.

I always thought the drum sticks were ridiculous Does anyone actually have a link to a Madagascar where DJ's drumstick on the guitar is audible?

Axl Rose = Axl Rose

Buckethead > Bumblefoot

Robin Finck > DJ Ashba

Dizzy Reed = Dizzy Reed

NuGuns > CurrentGuns

Bucket>Bumble (love Bumble still)

Fortus>Paul Tobias

Finck > Ashba (still think it should be no Fortus and Finck on rhythm/lead, nothing against Fortus, he's awesome but a leaner lineup gets you a better sound for GN'R)

Brain>>>>>Frank

No Dizzy > Dizzy

Pitman in the studio only > Pitman live

Axl Rose = Axl Rose

Buckethead > Bumblefoot

Robin Finck > DJ Ashba

Dizzy Reed = Dizzy Reed

NuGuns > CurrentGuns

Bucket>Bumble (love Bumble still)

Fortus>Paul Tobias

Finck > Ashba (still think it should be no Fortus and Finck on rhythm/lead, nothing against Fortus, he's awesome but a leaner lineup gets you a better sound for GN'R)

Brain>>>>>Frank

No Dizzy > Dizzy

Pitman in the studio only > Pitman live

pretty much this

Axl Rose = Axl Rose

Buckethead > Bumblefoot

Robin Finck > DJ Ashba

Dizzy Reed = Dizzy Reed

NuGuns > CurrentGuns

pretty much this

Obviously

From what I saw from the 2 shows in 07 to the show last week, this lineup has a better energy about it; I remember at one point during WTTJ just enjoying the whole visual aspect of it because all of the band (bar maybe Tommy) were really into it and moving around the stage; I didn't get that feeling in 07. So for me they are both visually and musically pretty spot on atm. In regards to DJ, give the guy a break, he does what he wants to do and makes an effort to interact; he even went to the upper level at this years show to play for a guy in a wheelchair which I thought was pretty decent of him...

DJ's doesn't need a "break" from the concert I've been too and countless others on youtube. People like and react positively to DJ and the only problem if it may ne considered that way is that quite a lot of people confuse him for Slash...

The Robin/Bucket band had more potential to do some really, really cool stuff. That band could have really made a mark for itself. Those two guys could have pushed Axl Rose to new heights. The current band is great, but I think they will keep GnR sounding more like classic GnR. Isn't that why Axl hired DJ, to keep that 80's hard rock sound alive?

I'm not saying either one is better. I would have liked to see each group put out a couple albums.

The first band would have pushed Axl to create a pretty exciting new band. The current group will give us classic GnR sounding songs.