Does anybody else feel that 2013 is the year for new music?

Guest NGOG

- End of multiple date tours, Fortus confirmed the band will now only play live 'sporadically' after 5 years of proper legs

- Richard, Beta Axl, Tommy chronologically all pointed towards 'later this year'

- Axl has been spotted out and about in both London and NYC

- 11 track leak from the camp to Mister Saint Laurent

gdnrxc0.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is, unlike between 2009 and 12, GNR now want to release new music, specifically this year.

But what would you consider "new" music? I don't think the Chinese leftovers are "new". It would be really unfair to release those tracks from another era of Guns without giving the opportunity to the current guys to shine under the Gn'R name. In the other hand, any unheard material would be great to the fans of Axl.

The fact is, unlike between 2009 and 12, GNR now want to release new music, specifically this year.

Since when did it matter what anybody but Axl wanted?

Definite maybe

Actually, we were thinking about releasing that (Silkworms) later this year

It would be really unfair to release those tracks from another era of Guns without giving the opportunity to the current guys to shine under the Gn'R name. In the other hand, any unheard material would be great to the fans of Axl.

It's new if I haven't heard it. Dizzy/Tommy/Chris/Richard were all intricately involved in the creation of the material for the follow-up to Chinese Democracy. Frank and Ron also added parts and Dj has written also.

Even though it's only April I still think it's a little late for this year. 2014 is a more realistic expectation, but I still won't get my hopes up.

At least the live DVD is something for this year and then (hopefully) a new album can follow sometime early in 2014.

Since when did it matter what anybody but Axl wanted?

When did it matter what even Axl wanted something? Axl was far more optimistic about a 2006 (and 2007) release than he has sounded about a 2013 release. Just because the band, and Axl, wants to do something doesn't mean it will happen. This has been well documented on numerous occasions.

The only way a new album is coming out this year is if things are settled with the label (something even Axl doesn't seem so certain about) and they go strictly with Chinese leftovers. Any notion that a new album with material composed by this version of the band is coming out this year is deaf to the nature of this band and its history. It took 10-14 years for Chinese Democracy to find itself on store shoes; what makes anyone think this band could write, record and produce something in a year is beyond me.

Edited by downzy

- End of multiple date tours, Fortus confirmed the band will now only play live 'sporadically' after 5 years of proper legs

- Richard, Beta Axl, Tommy chronologically all pointed towards 'later this year'

Richard didn't imply they would only be playing sporadic shows for the rest of the year. He only knew about the few festival dates at that time and the fact that the band wouldn't play anything inbetween those dates and the Beirut gig. For all he knew, the management could be planning a new tour to start after the summer. Besides, Richard has been wildly inaccurate about GN'R's future plans before, e.g. when he in late 2011 talked about the band's plans for 2012 being to "finish up the next record". In 2012 he also said he hoped the band would release a new record before Christmas that year. I think it is safe to say he is not really in the loop.

As for Axl, there is no reason to trust his statements in regard to release dates. And he hasn't even been specific about any releases this time, just a few comments that could be interpreted as either joking, ironic or extremely optimistic. And him being out and about doesn't necessarily coincide with any release plans.

As for those 11 tracks. It could be that we will hear them this year, but I really don't consider a bunch of almost only remixes "new music", although I know that strictly speaking they are.

???? Multiple band members have expressed an extremely explicit interest in releasing new music in every year since 2009. We all know it DOESN'T MATTER MUCH what they want if Axl isn't eager. And we have no really good reason to think Axl is now suddenly ready for the gruelling process of being a creative artist.

I believe we might hear those remixes this or next year, perhaps bundled with a few "leftovers" from the CD sessions, songs that were originally planned as a proper follow-up to CD, CD 2 if you want (they still need some work, though). I can't see an album with new, original music created by the current lineup being released until at the earliest 2016, and even that would be extremely effective for Axl.

Edited by SoulMonster

Richard didn't imply they would only be playing sporadic shows for the rest of the year.

As for Axl, there is no reason to trust his statements in regard to release dates. And he hasn't even been specific about any releases this time, just a few comments that could be interpreted as either joking, ironic or extremely optimistic. And him being out and about doesn't necessarily coincide with any release plans.

As for those 11 tracks. It could be that we will hear them this year, but I really don't consider a bunch of almost only remixes "new music", although I know that strictly speaking they are.

Mark: So soon after playing here in Australia, you are coming back, you’ve already played a few dates with The Dead Daisies, but you are coming back to be part of the Aerosmith show. Is that a break in the Guns ‘n Roses tour for you?

Richard: Yes, we are doing some dates sporadically, but we are trying to focus more on getting the next record ready, the next G ‘n R record. So, the touring has not been steady, and it won’t be for a while.

I trust Axl whilst grasping the reality than plans and hopes can be subject to change/an opposing authority. Axl seriously told Gunns (who has no known mental incapacity and is therefore able to interpret basic mannerisms and tone) that he had been contemplating the release of SIlkworms later this year. It tied in with the remarks of Beta, Richard and Tommy.

I would say that given the seeming disinterest of the camp in what MSL has found himself in possession of, there is no longer a desire to release Brain's remix project in its entirety/officially.

???? Multiple band members have expressed an extremely explicit interest in releasing new music in every year since 2009. We all know it DOESN'T MATTER MUCH what they want if Axl isn't eager. And we have no really good reason to think Axl is now suddenly ready for the gruelling process of being a creative artist.

There is a distinct difference between hopes and plans. In previous terms band members have hoped to see GNR finish an album, now it's a plan. You couldn't have two better accounts than those of Beta and Axl. You could hardly describe finishing a near complete record a 'grueling process'.

Edited by NGOG

I don't think 2013 will be the year, but I do think we're getting close now. Definately 2014. The buzz has started. There's even a difference in peoples attitudes on the boards. There's an air of expectancy. As with all things GNR, you just never know.