Where Would You Rank Axl in the Best Frontman of Rock N Roll History?

ChristmasFnatic

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1.

Seriously. Overall, I think he is better than Freddie. The fact that he is still alive, that he has the image of an asshole, that he keeps ruining his name and that the media hates him is what is standing in the way of him being seeing on such position by most people.

My own personal opinion, when taking into account the studio music, all of the various live performances I've seen on video, and the live performances I've gotten to actually go see in person, I place him at #1. He's my favorite vocalist, songwriter, and live performer, the whole nine yards. Now, as to how I see him outside of my own personal opinion, and again, I acknowledge that favoritism is in play here, I see only Freddie Mercury ahead of him, and that has a lot to do with Axl's limited body of work. When compared to all the great frontmen in history, in the eyes of the casual rock fan, I think the fact that since releasing AFD in 1987 he's only produced an EP, a double album, a cover record, and Chinese Democracy in the last 26 years is going to hurt him in a public opinion poll. But just like Matt Sorum is quoted as saying, I think he's the best frontman ever.

What Axl's got on everyone else you can name is his energy on stage. At his best, he was putting out so much energy that it looked as if he was literally going to pop out of his body. This video below is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I've never seen a frontman bring it quite like Axl Rose.

John lennon wasn't a prototypical frontman, but he was the best ever imo. Song writing, lyrics, and just overall awesomness nobody comes close to john lennon. Not axl, not freddie, not anybody. He wrote better songs in his sleep than 99% of musicians write there entire career. I've always said my all time dream band would be john lennon, jimmy page, john bonham, and john paul jones. 3/4 zep 1/4 beatles. It would of been amazing!

As far as axl goes, in his prime id say he was the top 5 frontman of all time. Even as much as people bash him today, when I saw him live in 2011 he was freaking awesome. Very few singers put on a better show than axl does. But you never know what your gonna get with him, amazing or just going through the motions. Because I've seen both out of him live.