Prostitute - this song is pure magic

ManetsBR

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prostitute is let down badly by Axl's vocals. Which is a pity because it is one of the few songs that to me is a continuation of what he was doing on the Illusions albums. Same with TWAT, Better, and Madagascar, though thankfully TWAT and Better have good vocals from Axl. Madagascar suffers from those awful pretentious quotes thrown in near the end.

Prostitute is let down badly by Axl's vocals. Which is a pity because it is one of the few songs that to me is a continuation of what he was doing on the Illusions albums. Same with TWAT, Better, and Madagascar, though thankfully TWAT and Better have good vocals from Axl. Madagascar suffers from those awful pretentious quotes thrown in near the end.

I disagree that Better is a continuation of the Illusions.

Guest NGOG

Better

This song couldn't be further from what was going on on Use Your Illusion. It's actually probably one the bext examples of a new age song. One of the few moments on Chinese Democracy which actually fits the industrial stereotype.

It's one of the four really good tunes on CD. The auto tune ruins it a bit for me and it's too much of a patchwork piece, but the lyrics are really good and the ending is just beautiful. It's a very depressing but also a very powerful tune, Axl was really up to something there. I couldn't listen to it all day but when it the right mood this is just really good music. I wish all of CD would have had that quality and depth.

It's one of the four really good tunes on CD. The auto tune ruins it a bit for me and it's too much of a patchwork piece, but the lyrics are really good and the ending is just beautiful. It's a very depressing but also a very powerful tune, Axl was really up to something there. I couldn't listen to it all day but when it the right mood this is just really good music. I wish all of CD would have had that quality and depth.

I mean, the autotune keeps the vocals tuned. It's supposed to be a helpful tool when editing. The reason it's gotten such a bad reputation is because people like Lil Wayne, Kanye West, and T-Pain have overused it. They like the 'robotic' effect it gives when turned up to 100 percent. It's really not a bad tool, and makes recordings sound much better when used correctly. I have a feeling Prostitute wouldn't have sounded as good without it.

Better

This song couldn't be further from what was going on on Use Your Illusion. It's actually probably one the bext examples of a new age song. One of the few moments on Chinese Democracy which actually fits the industrial stereotype.

I see Better as a continuation of the Illusions material with the added industrial elements Axl was talking about.

Better

I see Better as a continuation of the Illusions material with the added industrial elements Axl was talking about.

Ehh, I think Robin wrote most of it.

Great track, really illustrates Axl's sense of melody, which is perhaps his greatest gift as a songwriter. I'm not sure what people are going on about when they say it is "cut and paste" or overproduced. It's one of the simplest and cleanest songs on the album, in terms of both production and writing/structure. Just because a song has (gasp) multiple layers of instrumentals does not mean it is overproduced.

As for the vocals, I feel that they fit the music and the song. The song wouldn't have been as effective with raspy vocals.

I mean, the autotune keeps the vocals tuned. It's supposed to be a helpful tool when editing. The reason it's gotten such a bad reputation is because people like Lil Wayne, Kanye West, and T-Pain have overused it. They like the 'robotic' effect it gives when turned up to 100 percent. It's really not a bad tool, and makes recordings sound much better when used correctly. I have a feeling Prostitute wouldn't have sounded as good without it.

For me the auto tune was just pointless, Axl doesn't really need auto tune as a singer. He has his off nights and all yes, but I think it's safe to say he can nail his own material just fine on a good day. Given the time put into the making of the album and the depth of the subject matter and the lyrics, I think a more organic vocal would have made the song even more intense and more timeless. As it is, it will always be connected to that moment in time when auto tune was popular. That's where the production is too artificial for the beauty and intensity that song has to offer.

Took a while to grow on me, but now it's probably my third favorite after the title track and "Shackler's Revenge." Buckethead's guitar solo is absolutely nuts.

Yeah it was definetely a slow grower for me.I Love songs that take time to fully appreciate.