Does the existence of some fat opera singers prove once and for all that Axl's weight has nothing to do with his ability to perform?

HisRoyalSweetness

those fat opera singer doesn't dance and run and do rasp as much as axl did aren't they?

Though, axl improve his vibrato technique since he is fatter (post 2010)

Am I right? What do the others think?

Edited by aArief178

No, opera singers use a different part of their vocal ability and another type of vocal altogether than rock singers. Obviously SM doesn't listen to very much opera, because being at a rock concert as opposed to an opera performance are two completely different experiences. Axl's vocals reach a different register than an opera vocal and there is so much more control required with opera than with a GNR song. :lol:

Mozart would be turning in his (pauper) grave if he heard these claims. Actually in all truthfulness he would be lol'ing because he was a good soul who understood a good time, but when it came to the music, he would be scoffing, no question. There is no contest to the emotional element behind each man's music. By all intents and purposes they both define the time they lived in when they were at their peak. The late 1780s/early 1790s for Mozart. The late 1980s/early 1990s for Axl. Oh, this is too freaky!

Edited by Redhead74

Guest NGOG

You're singing from different places when you do operatic and Axlesque rasp. Operatic is more naturally occurring for male singers? It's weird operatic is deep in the belly whereas rasp is more up around the chest if that makes any sense?

Opera uses oxygen to hold the belly note whereas the whole premise of Axl being able to even capture rasp is based on oxygen.

Soul Monster made this excellent point in another thread. To be honest, I'd never considered it. As much as I hate to admit it, I think he's really onto something.

No, I didn't you intellectual dwarf.

My point was that being fat doesn't necessarily mean you can't sing.

No, opera singers use a different part of their vocal ability and another type of vocal altogether than rock singers. Obviously SM doesn't listen to very much opera, because being at a rock concert as opposed to an opera performance are two completely different experiences. Axl's vocals reach a different register than an opera vocal and there is so much more control required with opera than with a GNR song. :lol:

Obviously, you shouldn't lend any credence to the lies told by HisRoyalSweetness. He'll do anything to make up another ridiculous thread.

Soul Monster made this excellent point in another thread. To be honest, I'd never considered it. As much as I hate to admit it, I think he's really onto something.

Obviously, you shouldn't lend any credence to the lies told by HisRoyalSweetness. He'll do anything to make up another ridiculous thread.

Now now, no need for name calling. But I LOLd at intellectual dwarf. 5,000 post for you by the way!

Now now, no need for name calling. But I LOLd at intellectual dwarf. 5,000 post for you by the way!

What? When people deliberately twist your argument in an attempt to ridicule you, even going as far as to create a new thread about it, then pointing out their intellectual shortcomings is highly warranted.

Fact is that in 2010 Axl had the 'voice' of his life and he certainly wasn't thin... And back in '01 & '02 he seemed like he was exercising a lot but still his voice was pretty shitty...so......

Axl had it and lost it. Does his being out of shape play a role? Who knows? Does the fact that he doesn't rehearse play a role? Maybe. But age does definitely play a role... but then again, you have people like Bruce Dickinson and Steven Tyler who just keep sounding great... so there's something that Axl is doing wrong.

I have. Why? Do you think he's still got it? LOL

Still got them. why?

I was asking if you went to a GNR concert recently. Those you went to see One Direction does not apply.

I think we can conclude that if axl continues getting fatter he will only sound more like Pavarotti.

I hope so, Pavarotti rules.

I have. Why? Do you think he's still got it? LOL

Still got them. why?

I was asking if you went to a GNR concert recently. Those you went to see One Direction does not apply.

I think we can conclude that if axl continues getting fatter he will only sound more like Pavarotti.

I hope so, Pavarotti rules.

Ok, Pavarotti is actually an example, that when you get too fat, you do lose your voice. The still fat, but not extreme fat Pavarotti has a much better voice, than the severly obesed one.

The issue is one of being able to get sufficient breath support. And, in that, Soul Monster brings up a good point in mentioning "overweight" singers, operatically trained or not. You do not need to be in particularly good cardiovascular condition to utilize proper diaphragmatic breathing and thereby get enough air to support your voice. Can the lack of cardiovascular conditioning become an issue if you do a particularly active show? Perhaps, although I think some of that could be mitigated by making a conscious effort to use proper breathing technique.

Another note is that I've found, as I was told and taught over and over again, is that when you sing in the upper end of your range (head voice or falsetto), you tend to expel more air as you sing, so in turn you need more air to support your voice.

Ali

Has nothing to do with his singing really; you can keep your voice in shape without necessarily keeping your body in shape. But Axl is also a very physical performer who does a lot of dancing and moving around on stage; his weight can certainly have an effect on that.

Idk that much about singing, technically at least, to really argue any of these points.

But all I know is his singing got shittier and less consistent the more pudgy and out of shape he got. So there certainly seems to be a correlation.

Cleaned up the thread.

If you want to start a topic HRS, talk about the topic. If you want to cupcake and start a pissing match with Soulmonster, do it somewhere else.

You're right. I apologize for quoting axl at him. Lets gets back on topic.

There is some kernel of truth to soul monster's theory maybe I think possibly. I mean, there are plenty of really fat singers. And not just fat compared to skinny ass axl rose of the golden years

It hard to directly compare his situation to a few opera singers, just cause those motherfuckers take their singing seriously in a way that, lets be honest, axl clearly doesn't. That crazy motherfuckers spent more on exorcisms and magic yoda crystals than he has on vocal coaching. And the style he sang in was certainly way tougher on his voice than probably any other singer ever.

But really, I think the reason axl can't sing and be a fat ass at the same time while others can probably has to do with a lot of factors. Health is a matter of mind body and spirit. And balance. Axls life is a bizarre trainwreck of delusional rock star megalomania, so there's no surprise his instrument is so fucked up.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

Idk that much about singing, technically at least, to really argue any of these points.

But all I know is his singing got shittier and less consistent the more pudgy and out of shape he got. So there certainly seems to be a correlation.

Correlation means shit, it's causality you are looking for.

Yes and no.

If he got into shape, he'd be able to perform better from a Rock n' Roll show. Which involves a shit load of movement and aerobic activity. Opera singers don't need this element, so are fine, but crucially Opera singers work on their craft and constantly keep their vocals trained, maintained and well looked after. IMO Axl doesn't do this, and has killed his voice over the years. It sounds damaged.

So yes, fitness and getting into shape will help leaps and bounds, but more importantly he needs to look after his voice, keep it trained, practice, etc. I don't believe he does this as te evidence is in the poor vocals he displays frequently (which is compounded by him not being in the best shape either).

all imo