Who is Better At Their Respective Instrument - DJ or Frank?

ChristmasFnatic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Dj is a below average professional guitarist. Out of all the people being able to live off being a guitarist (think of all the hopeless guitarists that exists in numerous popular hipster, radio rock, folk, etc, bands in the world) I believe he is a lot better than the average.

People tend to pay too much attention to him not doing solos exactly as they want it and muddle things by letting their annoyance re his appearance and behaviour influence their opinions of him as a guitarist.

@Soulmonster. True, but is being better than your average guitarist enough for GnR? The way I see it, GnR has had great musicians over the years. Even I will admit Buckethead is the best they've had, albeit not my favorite. With DJ I feel Axl is settling for less. Hey, it's not like Ashba really sucks, but I feel GnR deserves better. Being the lead guitarist for GnR is, well, a very difficult task for anyone whose skills are not on a par with the skills of previous GnR guitarists. Why settle for less?

@Soulmonster. True, but is being better than your average guitarist enough for GnR?

Being a better guitarist than the average COULD be good enough, it depends on HOW MUCH better you are :)

In a live setting I think his playing is good enough. Nothing exciting about it, but he works. I just wish the more tricky parts would be allocated to Richard and Bumblefoot. The real test is what Dj can offer in song-writing though. Is he a new Izzy that can complement Axl? He doesn't have to shine on stage if he can just bring it in the studio.

I fully agree. The song writing department will be his real test.

Yeah, we need someone who can come to Axl with simple melodies; vessels for Axl's brilliance. Can Dj be this guy? Can he concoct cool riffs to be embellished by Bumblefoot and Richard? Can he make catchy melodies where Axl can attach codas and soaring choruses? Can he add small, cool riff that can me made into complete songs by the other guys? If so it doesn't really matter much if he occasionally doesn't bend a note completely. Hell, I would even tolerate his stage antics more.

DJ's a below average professional guitarist.

What people tend to ignore is the meticulous attention Axl pays to guitars. Guitarists don't get into GNR lightly. There have only been prolific guitarists in GNR since Axl became able to handpick the musicians he works with. Dj is definitely not a below average pro. He is your average pro and beyond that you can make what you will of his playing.

Frank. He may miss queues and fills but he still holds it together.

DJ spends a lot of the time not playing anything either because he cant or would rather cheer lead. He doesn't do his part. When he does play his solos, it sounds bad.

Yeah, we need someone who can come to Axl with simple melodies; vessels for Axl's brilliance. Can Dj be this guy? Can he concoct cool riffs to be embellished by Bumblefoot and Richard? Can he make catchy melodies where Axl can attach codas and soaring choruses? Can he add small, cool riff that can me made into complete songs by the other guys?

Exactly. His songwriting values aside ultimately Dj can induce the simplicity that was lacking with Chinese. With Robin and Buckethead you had this tendency for greatness that wasn't necessarily digestable. Dj can play a role without really losing the sophistication which can be assumed by Bumble and Fortus. Plus ultimately you have consider the context that Axl is the director, while Dj may be given writing Axl will dictate the overall feel of the album. It's a Trent Reznor like process. Axl will lay everything out with the secondary writers from Chinese who contrary to popular consensus, are actually still band members. The guitars will get their credits too but it will ultimately be more them contributing to Axl led concepts.

If you hear Ashba's work on the newest Sixx AM record, you can see that he can write some great melodies on his guitar. Frank is awesome too, he may screw up every now and then but overall I think he is pretty good.

4:35

3:35

Edited by GNRFan53

Who gives a shit who is better. They are both doing better than anyone commenting on this thread. I'm not a huge fan of DJ but it's a fact that he's gottent a lot better and there's only one GnR drummer that may be better than Frank but none have been better for the band. cupcake topic. Drummer vs Guitarist. Lame.

To be fair to everyone, there isn't a single musician that doesn't screw up live every now and then.

Seems to be more than every now and then with DJ. And it's more than just screwing up. Like the intro to SCOM. He doesn't "screw it up," but it doesn't sound right. Same with Jungle.

Is there a video of that?

There is, I just can't remember which show it was from off hand. Someone else can probably help me out here!

Basically, during the end solo, when Axl comes back in, he came back in late which threw Frank off when trying to end the song. Granted, Frank didn't do his big snare roll which usually cues Axl coming back in for the final "I wanna go, I wanna know..." or whatever lines, probably because he was going to let the solo go on longer. Still, Axl came in wrong so Frank is not totally to blame. It wasn't even a big deal - it happens.