Who is Better At Their Respective Instrument - DJ or Frank?

ChristmasFnatic

I enjoyed Matt's drum solos. The only thing that I disliked about it was that he kept playing basically the same solo over and over again, year after year, even when he filled in for Mikkey Dee.

That might be the reason why I dislike them so much. Your right, its just to repetitive. He's got mad skills why not show case them a little better. I wonder, does anybody know how long it takes someone at Matts skill level, to come up with a 5-7 minute drum solo? And be able to repeat it with regularity? Wonder how it compares to a guitar solo which for me might take any wheres from a few minutes to a few hour by the time Im done.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Matt's drum solos. The only thing that I disliked about it was that he kept playing basically the same solo over and over again, year after year, even when he filled in for Mikkey Dee.

That might be the reason why I dislike them so much. Your right, its just to repetitive. He's got mad skills why not show case them a little better. I wonder, does anybody know how long it takes someone at Matts skill level, to come up with a 5-7 minute drum solo? And be able to repeat it with regularity? Wonder how it compares to a guitar solo which for me might take any wheres from a few minutes to a few hour by the time Im done.

I don't even know his name, but the best drum solo I've ever experienced was the guy from Judas Priest. Are you familiar with his/their work? It was really the only drum solo I've heard live that I thought was worthy of it's own solo spot. The guy was a beast!

"Who gives a sh*t who is better" - obviously you do, because you replied to this thread. And gave your opinion on how good they are.

Come on lolcano - you are grasping at straws now. Your need to defend Axl's every move and bash anybody who doesn't worship your idol is starting to cloud your judgment

Now try and stick to the topic and worry less about making comments about other posters. You can do it, lil fella.

wow. The arrogance of a statement like this is amazing. Must be nice to have the skill to not only generalize an entire group of random people, but to be able to delve into their brain and let them know what they "really" are thinking.

See, Groghan, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I tell you to either practice what you preach or quit preaching. Lecturing at people about how they should respect other people's opinions and refrain from paychoanalysing their posts doesn't really work if you're also dissing their opinions and paychoanalysing, it makes you look like a hypocrite with a lack of self-awareness.

Either follow the rules you insist other posters should follow or stop pretending you're any better than "lolcano" and everyone else you look down on.

Edited by Flayer

Both are awful but I'd say between these two, Frank.

I'm not a guitarist, and I've seen GN'R with DJ a few times, but he seems to do the job. I don't think there is enough of his touch on the old material though. I've heard him fuck up the intros to Better and SCOM a few times though.

Frank on the other hand is an amazing drummer. He is a hard hitting tech drummer. Brain is probably the most talented drummer this band has ever had but in my opinion Frank's style is far more suited for GN'R. As a drummer, I tend to focus on him more so than anyone else in the band when I see them live and he is yet to disappoint me.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to say they are "awful" isn't right.

Edited by 2x4

It's really only the community and guitar types, who are frankly a tiny minority of the live shows, who really attempt to scrutinize the musicians. The entire production is taken at face value by most of the crowd and is generally judged very favourably. Of all the players, excluding Pitman, Dj and Frank are most inclined to minor error. We've seen many times Axl actually rebuke Frank. Some would say this means Frank is more prone to error than Dj but Axl obviously understands the commercial appeal of Dj and would therefore be more reluctant to publicly lambast Dj for botches. Frank is definitely the most disposable member of GNR.

"Who gives a sh*t who is better" - obviously you do, because you replied to this thread. And gave your opinion on how good they are.

Come on lolcano - you are grasping at straws now. Your need to defend Axl's every move and bash anybody who doesn't worship your idol is starting to cloud your judgment

Now try and stick to the topic and worry less about making comments about other posters. You can do it, lil fella.

wow. The arrogance of a statement like this is amazing. Must be nice to have the skill to not only generalize an entire group of random people, but to be able to delve into their brain and let them know what they "really" are thinking.

See, Groghan, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I tell you to either practice what you preach or quit preaching. Lecturing at people about how they should respect other people's opinions and refrain from paychoanalysing their posts doesn't really work if you're also dissing their opinions and paychoanalysing, it makes you look like a hypocrite with a lack of self-awareness.

Either follow the rules you insist other posters should follow or stop pretending you're any better than "lolcano" and everyone else you look down on.

Flayer the voice of reason. What's up bro?

Of all the players, excluding Pitman, Dj and Frank are most inclined to minor error.

How's that?

Are you disputing that Dj and Frank make the most errors live?

Are you disputing that Dj and Frank make the most errors live?

Well, of all the people in the band, Axl is most enclined at major error right now. :awesomeface:

Does Axl have an instrument other than himself? We are discussing those with a physical instrument are we not?

Does Axl have an instrument other than himself? We are discussing those with a physical instrument are we not?

I don't know, we were talking about the whole band...

We've seen many times Axl actually rebuke Frank. Some would say this means Frank is more prone to error than Dj but Axl obviously understands the commercial appeal of Dj and would therefore be more reluctant to publicly lambast Dj for botches.

What commercial appeal? Being Nikki Sixx's shadow? Twitter fake followers? Frank is not more prone to error than DJ. Axl only yelled at him once or twice because, unlike DJ's mistakes, Frank's affect the whole band.

We've seen many times Axl actually rebuke Frank. Some would say this means Frank is more prone to error than Dj but Axl obviously understands the commercial appeal of Dj and would therefore be more reluctant to publicly lambast Dj for botches.

What commercial appeal?

Don't play dumb.

Don't play dumb.

Show me Ashba's commercial appeal.

Monster Energy, Sixx AM, Motley Crue, Bullyville, ASHBA Swag.

So? What's next, the Ashba Challenger? Nothing of that gives him a commercial appeal. He's Nikki SIxx's shadow, nobody pays attention to him in Sixx:A.M. Seriously, I have yet to see any rock fan naming him outside of these boards. Or anyone other than two girls and one man wearing Ashba Swag.

Don't play dumb.

So?

He secured GNR its association with Monster Energy. He maintains a writing partnership with Motley and its offshoots. ASHBA Swag has physical outlets in the US. That all constitutes commercial appeal sorry. :shrugs:

Don't play dumb.

So?

He secured GNR its association with Monster Energy. He maintains a writing partnership with Motley and its offshoots. ASHBA Swag has physical outlets in the US. That all constitutes commercial appeal sorry. :shrugs:

I haven't seen anyone in Guns other than himself promoting Monster Energy. He's a Guns member but he's not relevant, I don't know why you think that Motley would be a greater commercial appeal. I can have several outlets out there as well, doesn't mean people will buy it... or care at all.

Thing is - other than his fake twitter followers (which I genuinely thought they were real when he had like 200k followers, lol) he's not relevant in any way, shape or form. Anywhere.

Don't play dumb.

So?

I haven't seen anyone in Guns other than himself promoting Monster Energy.

Frank Ferrer wears Monster sweatbands live and even Bumblefoot's plectrums have the Monster logo: http://www.monsterenergy.com/us/en/bands/guns-nacute-roses/

Lots of members around here (especially males) are jealous of Dj's popularity.

Did you hack into my secret "magisme dresses up in swag and does Hogan ears and running man" picture gallery?

Just come out of the closet already...I know you love the Deej :awesomeface:

Running man is awesome I do it all the time.