The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

GOOD WIN FOR DUNDEE AT ALLOA AT THHE WEEKEND DESPITE ANOTHER GASH PERFORMANCE WAS VITAL TOO GET POINTS ON THE BOARD AFTER LAST WEK LIKE BOMBER SAID JUST RELIEVED REALLY,, SHOULDA LOST

Bomber is an absolute weapon. Really hope the Dees come straight back up though as always enjoy the short trip down the river to Dens.

Off to Tannadump next Saturday to get the DABs telt.

Right, I'm new to Soccer. I took Tott's suggestion and have decided to ask you guys some questions. Thank you in advance:

1) Which teams/countries are considered to be among the best in the world at Soccer?

2) How good is America overall, how do we rank in Soccer? The only games I've watched were the recent Gold Cup games--US vs. Costa Rica, US vs. Belize, US vs. Panama, and a recent friendly game, US. vs. Bosnia.

3) How exactly is the Gold Cup determined? I mean, how is it exactly decided who plays there, and how is it decided where each Gold Cup is hosted? Do any of you think America will ever make it very far into or win the Gold Cup?

3) What exactly is a "friendly game" per se, and does it have any real importance to the game/team playing whether they win or lose?

4) What exactly does it mean when a team 'gets a corner'?

5) How good of a coach is the US Coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, when compared to other, international coaches?

6) What does it mean if a player's name is taken down in the book, and what actions can lead to that happening? Is it like a black mark on their record? How much more severe is it than getting a yellow or red card?

Is there anything else you guys feel I should know?

1. Spain are by far the best team in the world at the moment, although Germany are close. Guess we will see at the World Cup in Brazil next year.

2. America are okay, not amazing and not terrible. Will probably get through to the quarter finals at the World Cup.

3. The CONCACAF Gold Cup (Spanish: Copa de Oro de la CONCACAF) is the main association football competition of the men's national football teams governed by CONCACAF, determining the regional champion of North America, Central America, and the Caribbean.

4. A friendly game is one that has no consequence, unlike tournaments or qualifying games for those tournaments. Kind of like pre-season games so the international sides can warm up before some competitive games.

5. When a team gets a corner, the team defending the goal were the last to touch the ball before it goes out of play behind the goal so they get a chance to attack with a corner, if the attacking side touch the ball last before it goes out of play behind the goal then play is restarted with a goalkick.

6. Jurgen is okay, he did okay as German national coach but was nothing spectacular.

7. Getting "booked" is like a slang term for being yellow carded.

1. Spain are by far the best team in the world at the moment, although Germany are close. Guess we will see at the World Cup in Brazil next year.

2. America are okay, not amazing and not terrible. Will probably get through to the quarter finals at the World Cup.

3. The CONCACAF Gold Cup (Spanish: Copa de Oro de la CONCACAF) is the main association football competition of the men's national football teams governed by CONCACAF, determining the regional champion of North America, Central America, and the Caribbean.

4. A friendly game is one that has no consequence, unlike tournaments or qualifying games for those tournaments. Kind of like pre-season games so the international sides can warm up before some competitive games.

5. When a team gets a corner, the team defending the goal were the last to touch the ball before it goes out of play behind the goal so they get a chance to attack with a corner, if the attacking side touch the ball last before it goes out of play behind the goal then play is restarted with a goalkick.

6. Jurgen is okay, he did okay as German national coach but was nothing spectacular.

7. Getting "booked" is like a slang term for being yellow carded.

Thank you.

With 3, I meant the World Cup, not Gold Cup, I apologize.

Can you ever foresee a time when America might be like, one of the opponents in the final World Cup match?

Okay, so qualification for the World Cup goes as follows: There are different confederations of nations globally which are organised by continent usually, they all have separate qualifying rounds organised differently in order to get into the World Cup. Also based on how good the confederations as a whole are determines the number of nations from that confederation that can qualify. As a result Europe have the most teams in the World Cups.

The host countries are decided by a bigging process where FIFA the govering body of world football decides who to host it. However FIFA are very corrupt and as a result the nations who are suited for it do not always win. For example the 2018 and 2022 World Cups are being held in Russia and Qatar, however these two nations scored the lowest on the FIFA rankings when organising bids. England and USA were ranked highest but neither of them won due to the corruption, for example how with the world cup held in Qatari summer temperatures will reach close to 50 degree C or 122F, not exactly the most healthy temperatures to play sport in.

In theory the US could win the world cup, however they would need to be very lucky. The last major upset in a tournament was probably Greece winning Euro 2004, they were nowhere near good enough to win the tournament on paper being ranked 36th in the world beating Portugal in the final who were ranked 9th, however through good luck and some tactical awareness they won. I find it hard to believe an upset of that scale could occur during a world cup due to the strength of the nations taking part, that being said in 2002 South Korea made it through to the semi-finals of the World Cup but they were very lucky and fortunate receiving many generous decisions throughout the tournament.

I think you perhaps sustained it for longer - we struggled at points against Swansea (see: scoreline) and Chelsea didn't turn it on in the second.

Could be a better title race than first thought!

Edited by The Sandman

Swansea were unlucky, the scoreline certainly didn't reflect how even the game was at times. Chelsea were so comfortable, was a typical Mourinho performance settling at 2-0 rather than going for more and was very typical of his first reign in charge.

Was going to say the same tottenham hotspur, gets a little boring watching mourinhos chelsea as a neutral but he does get results at the end of the day. Next monday night is going to be interesting to say the least and should give us an insight of how good either team is.

Guest Len B'stard

United look the weakest of the three strong teams this season, those being United, City and Chelsea. Judging at this very like...early stage of it i reckon it'll be a battle between Chelsea and City, with United coming third. City look to come on strong but Chelsea under Mou are gonna play a very sober and deliberate game soooo...yeah, interesting season up ahead i reckon :)

Spurs 4th though. Arsenal are a shambles, Liverpool just don't convince me, you've got Suarez whos going to headbutt a ref any minute. Utd have a problem in that if Van P gets injured you wonder if they wont wobble. But Spurs look tight.