The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

That was one of the worst penalty shoot-outs I've seen for some time. From both sides, they were atrocious.

I can't really get annoyed at De Gea, those things happen to the best at some time and we had the players to win the game before extra-time and make sure something like that mistake wasn't a deciding issue. The penalties were awful and lacking in compsoure but at least Rafael and Jones had the balls to step up and take them. What wasn't encouraging was watching Moyes storm off at the end. At least console your troops. It doesn't do much to cool the whispers that Moyes and the squad do not get on.

Edited by ADPT

I kinda guessed with guzan reacting the way he did. Normally if the keeper takes the forward out he knows it and knows a penalty is coming. Where in this case guzan knew he didn't touch him and got up hurling abuse at the cheating simulating scum. Sorry just don't like cheaters ruining the glorious game. Was just going to mention that statistic and how we are 8 games ahead of schedule as such.

How is it a dive if the keeper made contact? Suarez has the ball at his feet and under control with the keeper, rushing out, between him and the goal - there is only one way for Suarez to play the ball and that is with his right foot and to take the ball away and past the keeper. However, the keeper caught him and brought him to ground.

The above being said, Liverpool were pedestrian and never got out of the blocks during the game. It is all well and good having the best strike partnership in the league, but having Suarez and Sturridge up top means that the midfield is too exposed and to be blunt, neither Gerrard or Lucas have the engine to both shield the defense AND break for an attack and they end up doing neither 90% of the time which is why when they are playing together the opposition gets to run at Liverpool's defense.

There was no contact PappyTron. Said it at the time and with the replay I was correct. Match of the day that night had a poll for the viewers to participate in asking if suarez dived or not? Nearly 70% said he did whilst the other 30% were clearly liverpool supporters.

I honestly think they should have the fourth official look at replays when penalties are awarded to see if a dive has occurred or if the keeper got to the ball first. Only problem with that is once we introduce it for penalties people will want it to spread to every decision.

In tennis they have a quota of challenges. So 3 times a half you can go the cameras. The real problem is that at the moment the rules are the same in all leagues all over the world. And FIFA like this idea that the games is sort free of this. To me if its on tv and we can see and call Suarez a diving prick. Then the ref should be able to see the same thing the tv audience will judge him on. It would take 20 seconds to make a decision.but they could still get it wrong. Oh the scandal of that. The 4th officials will then be running gambling rings.