The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

To be honest both teams got a good deal, you got Willian for £32m and he is doing well for you, we went out and for Eriksen for £11m as a result and he is doing well for us.

Is that selective, didn't you buy Lamela for £30m and he is shit?

We were buying Lamela anyway, we were originally going to get Lamela and Willian but when you guys got him instead we went and got Eriksen instead.

Yes Lamela has been bad but he has spent a long period and injured and "apparently" AVB didn't want him, once he becomes fit Sherwood will hopefully give him a run in the team and see what he can do which he has shown glimpses of in a few game, but bearing in mind he has had very limited playing time calling him shit is a bit premature.

Soldado on the other hand has been shit, only so many times I can listed to other Spurs fans talk about how he will come good and then I watch him fluff an easy chance :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I was talking to a mate of mine, Chelsea boy, about the game last night and he was slaggin' off Willian performance, i thought he was fuckin' shit-hot. Hazard is the fuckin' kiddie though, it's amazing the way he manages to hold onto the ball despite being this little guy. Also loved that bit where Yaya and Matic were running for the same ball and Toure did his usual thing of muscling the person out of the way and Matic is like uh-uh motherfucker, not today! :lol:

Chelsea played a fuckin' blinder really, perfect game. What the fuck Hazard was going cutting that ball back when through on goal I'll never know. Like Chris said earlier aside from the finishing they really played brilliantly.

What do you think it is with Soldado Totts? English football, first season shakiness? I can't understand it, when you lot got him i was thinkin' 'fuck me, things are gonna get tricky here' but he's turned out a bit of a dud...and i KNOW he ain't that player.

Edited by sugaraylen

Agreed about Willian last night, though he had a good game as did Eto'o.

As for Soldado, well playing in a different system, different league, poor service, a manager who refused to change the style to help him, a lack of confidence and developing chemistry with other players. He is a good player but sometimes they just don't work out. His overall play has been decent since he signed but he hasn't scored which is why we bought him, hopefully he will improve but I can see Levy selling him in the summer regardless.

I think the closest thing would be the high defensive line that AVB wanted to play. It was clear that a defender with Terry's mobility was going to struggle, and the Cole-Luiz-Terry-Ivanovic back 4 was too prone to lapses of defensive positioning in terms of playing the offsides - you would frequently see Luiz or Ivanovic 2 foot behind the line playing strikers onside.

In terms of strikers, AVB didn't change the Chelsea mentality of big man up front because he had Drogba and Torres, and he thought they were interchangeable with the same target man strength. Torres was obviously not going to hold the ball up as well (he does a good job of winning headers though)

Funny that Chelsea got stuffed at Napoli, then AVB got sacked and Chelsea change the defensive line, then go on to win the Champions League and FA Cup.

Will they? Wasn't like they were playing well when he was fit and after a long layoff it will take time for him to get back into form.

Don't get me wrong, I like Laudrup and think they should have kept him until the end of the season but their form certainly justifies the sacking.

Hardly, since they've won the league cup they've won 8 games out of 35 and earned 33 points out of a possible 115, that is relegation form.

Every coach endures difficult periods, he's a world-class manager. Not too long ago it was a matter of 'how long can Swansea keep him'.

Hardly, since they've won the league cup they've won 8 games out of 35 and earned 33 points out of a possible 115, that is relegation form.

Every coach endures difficult periods, he's a world-class manager. Not too long ago it was a matter of 'how long can Swansea keep him'.
I fail to see how he is a world class manager, every club he has managed has been a smaller club with less pressure, he chose to manage in a low pressure environment as he had a chance to go to bigger clubs but didn't.

Certainly a world class footballer but the verdict is still out on him as a manager until he manages at a bigger club.

Edited by Tater Totts

Guest Len B'stard

Arsenal eclipses Manchester United as most popular soccer club in China

(CNN) -- The bad news just keeps coming for English Premier League champions Manchester United.

Already out of the FA and League Cups, another English Premier defeat to Stoke at the weekend left the club lagging 15 points behind leaders Arsenal and now an online survey of Chinese fans reveals the London club has eclipsed United as the most popular football club in China.

Arsenal edged David Moyes' side as the most popular club with Italian side AC Milan third, and ahead of Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Germany was chosen as the most popular national side in China ahead of Italy and Spain while the English Premier League was the overwhelming favorite national division among Chinese fans, receiving 50% of the votes ahead of Spain's La Liga and Italy's Serie A.

The survey was conducted by Coventry University's Center for the International Business of Sport (CIBS) in England between September and November last year, and drew a total of 15,586 responses.

CIBS researcher Jiajia Song offered a possible explanation for why Chinese football fans may prefer Arsenal to Manchester United, which has regularly toured in the Far East.

"Fans are more likely to support a club team when players from their favorite national squad regularly make the starting line-up," said researcher Jiajia Song, who worked on the survey.

"This means players like Mesut Ozil and Lukas Podalski, both German international players and players for Arsenal, are likely to fulfill an important commercial and marketing role for club, country and league."

Arsenal first played in China in 1995 but did not tour again until 2011, reportedly because manager Arsene Wenger preferred to focus on preseason training in Europe rather than embarking on potentially lucrative international tours.

Many of Arsenal's Premier League rivals, including United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea, have traveled to China and other Asian nations in the hope of boosting their preseason coffers.

But Professor Simon Chadwick, director of the CIBS, argues the potential revenue from a club's global fanbase is not being maximized.

"There's no doubt that clubs generate revenue from China, South Korea and Japan," Chadwick explained on Twitter. "Whether they make a profit is a different matter.

"Typically, less than 10% of turnover from a Premier League club comes from overseas sales. Compare European football to NBA in China, for example.

"The NBA has physical and marketing infrastructure set up on the ground to capitalize on opportunities to serve fans and customers."

For now, Arsenal and its Premier League peers still deem it worthwhile to travel east to play in front of their global fans, but they face growing competition from China's domestic game.

The Chinese Super League was established in 2004, rebranding the Jia-A league formed a decade earlier, and it has now been expanded to 16 teams.

Guangzhou Evergrande is the club taking the domestic league by storm and last November it became the first Chinese winners of the Asian Champions League.

The Chinese champions claims it regularly attracts 45,000 fans.

Evergrande is coached by Italian Marcello Lippi, who guided Italy to the 2006 World Cup. The foundation for Lippi's success is a group of burgeoning Chinese talent; he only has three international players among his ranks largely because the Chinese league limits each club to employing five international players.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/sport/football/arsenal-beats-manchester-united-in-china/

Fuckin' glory hunters :lol:

Thinkin' of putting a few quid on Barca to do Real Sociedad...seems a shoe-in although they did just lose to Valencia.

Barca to win and BTTS seems to be a good shout this season for coupons - won a cheeky £17 from a £1 bet last night on Coventry and PSG to win and BTTS :)

Do we have a footy coupon/tips etc page here?

On another topic - was there a Premiership Fantasy Football group set up this season? Would be keen to get involved next season, I'm not sure if there would be any point in me joining one now (unless current scores carry across?).

Guest Len B'stard

Was chatting to a United fan mate (cuz i work right in the centre of town and have done for a decade almost i know so many people that i know in passing from off the street, some of whom i've only ever discussed football with) and he was slagging off Ozil and saying how United didn't want him and he's this and this and this and it's like...you do know where you are in the league right? Course you don't want Ozil, I mean, what team with Darren Fletcher in it would?

If that's true then Moyes is more an idiot than I thought, you're not going to get the best out of Kagawa on the left mid/left wing - He performed his best at Dortmund in the hole, and seeing how Rooney will keep bitchin' if he isn't playing up top or in the hole then Kagawa was never gonna get chance - now that they've brought Mata in then that gives Kagawa less of a chance to impress in his preferred role. Expect him (Kagawa) to go in the summer.

Guest Len B'stard

If that's true then Moyes is more an idiot than I thought, you're not going to get the best out of Kagawa on the left mid/left wing - He performed his best at Dortmund in the hole, and seeing how Rooney will keep bitchin' if he isn't playing up top or in the hole then Kagawa was never gonna get chance - now that they've brought Mata in then that gives Kagawa less of a chance to impress in his preferred role. Expect him (Kagawa) to go in the summer.

This.