The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Partly in europe, the toll of the prem takes it's toll innit. you see City playing Stoke (stoke have been much better under hughes) on staurday and have to get involved in a physical game. Then flick to Barca strolling around in the sun on saturday. There seems to be less desperation from the oppo. I'm not sure if it's just resignation or the league is smaller so the teams mid table are safe. but Barca dominance in La liga sure helps in europe. Often you see Arsenal sacrifice prem games just to rest players for mid week. Ozil is obviously knackered. No winter break. He's leggy.

But I've noticed some prem games are getting more la liga looking swansea v liverpool.

The prem still rewards strength and running. Rooney gets praise for sprinting all the way back into his box to make a clearance. While Messi is hanging around up front waiting for his chance.

In terms of England, it's the Liverpool players like Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge that seem more suited to Hodgson's italian set up. Wilshire and Rooney can fit in too.

The reason England never win at football is because our game, on a grassroots level, hasn't changed in the last 50 years, there's no emphasis on short passes, on flair, it's all about strength, it's all about punts, crosses, long balls, hammering it, it's all about get up that end of the field. Every countrys game evolves except ours, look at the Brazilians, the reason they are the dogs bollocks at football is that their game preempts changes in the game on a global scale...and if it doesn't it certainly catches up, like in 82 when they were 'the best team to ever lose the world cup', that team was on a par with their 60s squad, their 1970 squad, y'know, the most rated fuckin' squads of their history...but they were fuckin' devoid of defence. So they lose that, they go back to the drawing board and then look at them defensively from 94 onwards, thats the way you do shit, you fix it up. England don't do that, we just make our bed and lay in it.

You can't play tic tac in the mud though. When it's Holbrook Miners Welfare v Heanor on a saturday morning in -4 weather and the size 4 multiplex slaps against your thighs you just huff it up the middle and push up.

Also, Brazil has a huge pool of players to pick from. Everyone's playing from an early age, football crazy.

Also they often come from poverty, there's a real need and desire. If Lampard doesn't score he can always before a milkman like Neil Webb. or sign on.

When it's 100 degrees you can't play the tempo of the prem, you can't really player counter attack really, definitely not get it wide and in or long ball. You have to keep the ball and England players a lot can't do that. But I think some are coming through who can. But we still favor wingers. Box to box mids and wingers. Wenger, Moron and Rodgers must be helping. It's just finding a Xavi or Inesta or a Messi. Look at Utd though a player like Kagawa playing for Dortmund was a genius or even Zaha had the skill to threaten defenses if given the ball and license. But utd favored Rooney and Valencia. Basically strong cloggers who put in a shift every week.

It's no coincidence with Brazil either. Across most forms of the sport, be it Beach, Futsal, or the regular game, they've won the most World Cup trophies by far. Nobody else is even close.

They enjoy playing football. That's their secret. They don't take it as a job, the money and glory comes second.

Guest Len B'stard

Whats supposed to mean, was it a dodgy one then? Sorry for all the questions every saturday by the way lads, just at work so im never catching the game.

Guest Len B'stard

Watching a United game for the first time in a while, fuck me, are they this poor regularly now, Palace are kinda bossing em. Looks really odd, like just to behold, it ain't natural, all my conscious life I can remember United were a force in English football and I'm 30 years old so i'm no spring chicken, it just don't look right, they don't play like United. I mean they were never pretty to watch ever but their was a certain spirit there. As i type this there's a pen being lined up…and it's gone in :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Shelvey gets a round of applause at Anfield...and people say The Kop ain't got no class :). Cracking game too, switch over if you're not watching.

Edited by sugaraylen