The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

When Messi was 21 he was a G, Ballon D'ors and all that, when Ronaldo was 21 he was getting nudged off the ball tryna flip it with all that slick shit, all those step-overs and that.

Ronaldo won the Ballon D'or before Messi on the back of a 42 goals in 49 game performance and a Premier League, Champions League double :lol:

I really don't see how age has anything to do with it though, players develop at different rates and at different ages.

Guest Len B'stard

Well it matters in that it reflects a better quality , if a bloke is sick from the get go as opposed to someone who develops later it makes a good case for the former doesn't it?

And Messi won Ballon D'or at younger age, thats what I was saying.

Edited by sugaraylen

There are three factors to Messi's game which make him so good; his balance (which is the product of his compact, and low to the ground body), his touch and his 5 yard dash (which defenders just can't compete with). If you took away the service and special tactical treatment he gets at Barcelona, he wouldn't earn anywhere near as many plaudits.

Ronaldo has far more attributes in his locker. He can run the entire pitch at a Commonwealth games speed. He can embarass defenders with his array of dribbling. He has the legs and upper body of a Greek god (built through hitting the gym every single day of his life) - that strength is always overwhelming to the opposition. His sprint and head approach to corner kicks is unmatched by any other player on the planet. His set-piece technique is copied the world over. He doesn't just create goals through cheeky passing; he can get the ball in any area of the pitch and remain extremely dangerous to the goal.

Many of you are pointing out the mediocrity of Portugal, but if you followed their games, you would see that Ronaldo is consistently saving them. While they may be awful, Northern Ireland were recently beating Portugal two nil. Guess who scored three times to clinch the game?

Edited by NGOG

Well it matters in that it reflects a better quality , if a bloke is sick from the get go as opposed to someone who develops later it makes a good case for the former doesn't it?

And Messi won Ballon D'or at younger age, thats what I was saying.

But at the same time Messi was handpicked by Barca when he was like 13, wrapped in cotton wool and protected by Barca while Ronaldo never had that luxury. He was thrown in the deep end at United and grew into a fantastic footballer, he then moved abroad and proved again he was arguably the best in the world.

I know its all ifs and buts, but if Ronaldo had been picked at a similar age as Messi by Barca and nurtured to the extent that Messi was he too would have been excellent at that age.

The chances are slim to none, but I would love to see Messi playing in a side in England, Italy or Germany, any other league really just to see how he does in an unfamiliar team that hasn't been built around the same principles he has been accustomed to throughout his entire career.

Guest Len B'stard

But at the same time Messi was handpicked by Barca when he was like 13, wrapped in cotton wool and protected by Barca while Ronaldo never had that luxury. He was thrown in the deep end at United and grew into a fantastic footballer, he then moved abroad and proved again he was arguably the best in the world.

I know its all ifs and buts, but if Ronaldo had been picked at a similar age as Messi by Barca and nurtured to the extent that Messi was he too would have been excellent at that age.

There are no accidents in football, Messi was treated such because his quality was THAT evident at an early age, that ain't exactly to Ronaldos favour.

The chances are slim to none, but I would love to see Messi playing in a side in England, Italy or Germany, any other league really just to see how he does in an unfamiliar team that hasn't been built around the same principles he has been accustomed to throughout his entire career.

When you are of Messi's quality people change their team and build them around you, Messi would absolutely destroy Prem defences, every good goalscorer needs a halfway decent supply man.
Ronaldo has far more attributes in his locker. He can run the entire pitch at a Commonwealth games speed. He can embarass defenders with his array of dribbling.

And Messi can't?

He has the legs and upper body of a Greek god (built through hitting the gym every single day of his life) - that strength is always overwhelming to the opposition.

Yeah and you know why? Cuz he was a flash little poof when he was in EPL, all about thousands of step-overs and The United boys took him aside and told him that show offs just get chopped in England, thats why he went to the gym and got all beefy. Not saying this as a criticism, just shining a light on the matter.

His set-piece technique is copied the world over. He doesn't just create goals through cheeky passing; he can get the ball in any area of the pitch and remain extremely dangerous to the goal.

What are you getting at, Messi's set pieces are questionable? Or that Messi can't get the ball in any area of the pitch and remain extremely dangerous? I've lost count how many times i've seen Messi carry it all the way home from the halfway line.

Don't most of us? I mean being one of the best footballers in the world, being very muscular, in a relationship with a supermodel. The only drawback is his stupid face :lol:

I don't...better dead than a red, former or otherwise.

Don't most of us? I mean being one of the best footballers in the world, being very muscular, in a relationship with a supermodel. The only drawback is his stupid face :lol:

Give over you tart, you're still bitter that Wenger turned down the chance to sign him.

Guest Len B'stard

Give over you tart, you're still bitter that Wenger turned down the chance to sign him.

We had Thierry Henry, United can have him. Although, in his defence, i heard he went out and sorted out some family 10,000 for some operation their sick kid needed, gotta respect the man for that :)

There are no accidents in football, Messi was treated such because his quality was THAT evident at an early age, that ain't exactly to Ronaldos favour.

And Messi can't?

What are you getting at, Messi's set pieces are questionable? Or that Messi can't get the ball in any area of the pitch and remain extremely dangerous? I've lost count how many times i've seen Messi carry it all the way home from the halfway line.

How are there no accidents in football? There are mediocre footballers getting professional contracts every day. Ever heard of Robbie Savage or Neil Lennon?

As I said, Messi's dribbling is much more limited. He relies on close ball control and 5 yard pace.

No - I'm pointing out Ronaldo's superiority in that regard. Ronaldo is far more accomplished at set-pieces. In relation to individual danger, yes Messi is capable of lengthy runs against sub-par Spanish defenders. But generally he relies on receiving the ball in the third quarter of the pitch. When Barca's passing system isn't working - look at last year's Champions League, they have no plan B - Messi stops playing.

Guest Len B'stard

As I said, Messi's dribbling is much more limited. He relies on close ball control and 5 yard pace.

Messi (and come to that Iniesta too) are both better dribblers than CR7
No - I'm pointing out Ronaldo's superiority in that regard. Ronaldo is far more accomplished at set-pieces.

I dunno man, i watch Barca play every chance i get and I've seen him knock in some goals from set-pieces, at least as impressive as anything I've seen from CR7. He might be more synonymous than Messi with set pieces but i don't think he's better and if he is there's very little to it.

The only thing CR7 really has over Messi, on paper, is like overall athleticism. Other than that it's all about Messi.

Edited by sugaraylen

Put it this way: If you walked into a Sunday league dressing room and offered every player the attributes of either Messi or Ronaldo; the vast majority would go Ronaldo. Messi is genetically gifted, but Ronaldo has way more in his locker (from pure hard work).

Guest Len B'stard

Perhaps my assessment is prejudiced, you know what I'm like, at any rate they are both fantastic players who are a joy to watch.

Guest Len B'stard

He has his share, yes. It's been a bit of a quiet season for Leo, what with injury and that but he was getting his share before.

• Like 1

In the past few years Messi's free kick scoring ratio is as good as Ronaldo's if not better when you take in to account the amount Ronaldo takes and misses.

They usually get 3 or 4 a season each which for Ronaldo is a lot less than people think, everyone remembers that season and a half at United where he scored a ton of them. At Madrid he scores maybe one in 20 attempts. They look spectacular but he almost always hits the wall, the rare occasion he doesn't it'll go in cos he hits it so hard.

I've never understood everyone's fascination with his free kicks anyway, it's as though he has no control over where they go, he just hits it as hard as he can and if its on target it'll go in, but they usually go anywhere.

Put it this way: If you walked into a Sunday league dressing room and offered every player the attributes of either Messi or Ronaldo; the vast majority would go Ronaldo. Messi is genetically gifted, but Ronaldo has way more in his locker (from pure hard work).

But if you want to win a World Cup, Copa America or Euro trophy, leave them both at home.

He has his share, yes. It's been a bit of a quiet season for Leo, what with injury and that but he was getting his share before.

Really? Only ask because I've looked on youtube and there are only a couple of videos with long range goals while Ronaldo has several compilation videos.

But if you want to win a World Cup, Copa America or Euro trophy, leave them both at home.

Yeah, you take Torres :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10701815/Tomas-Rosickys-wonder-strike-for-Arsenal-is-papering-over-cracks-scorns-Tottenhams-Tim-Sherwood.html

Fuck off you fuckin' dirty Spud cunt, when we wanna sink the fuckin' squad and squander the worlds largest transfer fee ever on a bunch of fuckin' duds and embarass ourselves at our own home ground, missing fuckin' sitters in front of empty goals that day we'll come ask for your fuckin' advice but until then try have a look at your own cracks cuz it's what, 3 or 4 losses on the trot...and you're talking about us papering over cracks? Fuck you and fuck your little shitbag cartoon squad.

We OWN North London :)

What I find interesting about Sturridge's dive (which it was) is that Graeme Poll says that, under the letter of the law, not only was it not a dive but it was also a clear penalty!

We call it the 'three card allowance'.

Care to elaborate? From a rules/refereeing point of view how is Sturridge's dive a clear penalty all the same? Poll said it was because Vidic's slide was off the ball and therefore impeded Sturridge being through on goal.

What I find interesting about Sturridge's dive (which it was) is that Graeme Poll says that, under the letter of the law, not only was it not a dive but it was also a clear penalty!

We call it the 'three card allowance'.

Care to elaborate? From a rules/refereeing point of view how is Sturridge's dive a clear penalty all the same? Poll said it was because Vidic's slide was off the ball and therefore impeded Sturridge being through on goal.

I believe Sandy was referring to the incident where poll gave the same player three yellow cards in a World Cup games and so we should ignore him.

That being said his reasoning makes no sense lest we have players diving when they are a yard from a player because they were "impeding".